PDA

View Full Version : t-stat housing

davericher20
06-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Won't come off.
I never would have attempted it if I knew it wouldn't come off, all I want to do is replace the gasket and now I really have to........ in the pics, the long bar......(don't know what it's called) above the fuel injectors? looks like it has to be moved up slightly for the housing to be removed.
I tried wiggling the housing to try to get it to clear but no go.......

it won't budge and I don't have a CLUE where it would be loosened.

for you assholes....yes I removed the bolts.

any help is appreciated.

adam325i
06-23-2009, 12:43 AM
that bar, is the fuel rail so be carful with it. the bar is connected to the inectors and the bolts are under the mainfold. maybe try prying between the housing and the case??

InfiniteDice
06-23-2009, 08:41 AM
No no...

Well for one thing the bolts holding the therm. housing on are studs, they have a flat section in the middle that can get covered in aluminum corrosion and not want to come off.

I have removed it a ton of times, I can't recall offhand if the fuel rail has to be removed first. It will be easier the more you remove from the area though. You could de-pressurize the fuel system, pull the fuel pump fuse with car running, then yank the rail if possible. Beyond that you need to remove the intake manifold.

Good luck you'll probably want to clean up or get new bolts/nuts for the therm housing when you re assemble.

325isdan
06-23-2009, 10:02 AM
if you have a rubber mallet just start beating the shiz out of the T-housing till it pops off. old cooling fluid can make things stick real well.

but work it from all sides if you can not just one or you might bend it.

davericher20
06-23-2009, 10:34 AM
if you have a rubber mallet just start beating the shiz out of the T-housing till it pops off. old cooling fluid can make things stick real well.

but work it from all sides if you can not just one or you might bend it.

No it's not like a water pump or anything, it has bolts that it slides on and off on.....they're like 4 inches long.

Ceeker Pm'd me and said he did it last november and all you do is loosen the bolts on the manifold........

adam325i
06-23-2009, 10:50 AM
there 12 bolts you have to get then to loosen the manifold, make sure u have a wooble and lots of extentions.

InfiniteDice
06-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Man at that point I'd replace the intake manifold gaskets, and the drain tube o-rings. The gaskets are going to be shot wiggling the bloody thing up and down. You don't wanna make intake leaks just being in a hurry.

Do it right man, the fast way isn't the best way.

325isdan
06-23-2009, 02:27 PM
No it's not like a water pump or anything, it has bolts that it slides on and off on.....they're like 4 inches long.

Ceeker Pm'd me and said he did it last november and all you do is loosen the bolts on the manifold........

Ya just need to hit it to break it free, or use a screw driver to seperate it from the gasket.. I have replaced mine twice and never had to touch the intake manifold.

E30M42cab
06-23-2009, 06:06 PM
jeesus. it's a t-stat housing. Hit it with a rubber mallet and pry it off. You've removed the bolts, so now it will come off. It's only held on by the old gasket now. Stick a screwdriver down the hole and pry it off. Don't remove your intake manifold.

Ceeker
06-23-2009, 06:35 PM
yeah! that's it...just hammer and drive everything into place..works for all models and applications. LOL.
I never mentioned loosening the manifold. I mentioned loosening the fuel rail. there is a BIG difference. See how easily one slight of interpretation makes a big mess of things?

davericher20
06-23-2009, 06:53 PM
yeah, I'm not sure some of you understand,

the gasket is already off.
The housing is already seperated.
The housing has 2 BOLTS (with no head) that go into the block that it sits on and is tightened down by NUTS.
Because it sits on these BOLTS, it has to travel about 4 inches to get to the end of the BOLTS to be free........
The fuel rail is in the way of this happening.

Therefore the fuel rail needs to be raised about 2 inches for the housing to clear the end of the bolts.

I had a eureka moment today and I'm gonna try to loosen the bolts from the block.

edit: didn't work. (sigh)

supernaught
06-23-2009, 11:49 PM
i had this issue when i put my intake on and forgot to put the tstat housing on first.
you'll need to lift the fuel rail.
look at it this way, if you loosen the nuts on the intake, you'll likely have to replace the intake gaskets. To do this without breaking your back you will likely have to depressurize the fuel rail anyways and once you've done that you're not far off from popping off the rail anyways.
Take a look at your intake and consider this: depressurize the fuel system in whatever clever way you can think of.
to lift the rail, there are 4 bolts holding it to the intake mani. To get at the bolts you will need to remove the injector harness loom(if you have one) by disconnecting each injector connector.
Once you have the harness out of your way, remove the 4 bolts.
You will then want to remove each of the 6 injector clips that keep the rail attached to each injector. With those removed it should be easy to work the rail off of the injectors at one end enough to get the tstat housing on those long bolts. Some fuel will spill when each injectors pops out of the rail. Be careful not to pop the injectors out of the mani though, as its possible to damage the pintle caps if you take them out on an angle.
Do not forget to put the gasket on first.
Reassembly is pretty straightforward. make sure your orings are in place before you put the rail back on the injectors.
Install the clips
secure the bolts
connect the injector harness
connect the temp sensors
make sure all fuel lines are installed correctly
fill and bleed coolant
let sexy ladies pose on car and post pics

it took me longer to write it than it would take to do it.

davericher20
06-24-2009, 12:33 AM
got it done, thanks. It was easy.

325isdan
06-24-2009, 09:42 AM
got it done, thanks. It was easy.

what did you end up doing?

davericher20
06-24-2009, 01:16 PM
disconnecting the clips from the injectors from that (other bar) to get at the bolts that hold the fuel rail onto the manifold, took the 4 bolts off, lifted the rail ever so slightly (with help from jays325is) and removed the housing.

325isdan
06-24-2009, 02:35 PM
nice.

echo
06-25-2009, 01:36 AM
The housings I've done have bolts not studs and nuts. Some cars must have come out with studs - interesting.