PDA

View Full Version : JAW wideband...

Fel
06-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Who knows/uses this thing?

I installed it last week and I seem to be having trouble calibrating it. The AFR shown on the controller itself and the AFR shown on my Megasquirt don't match, so one of them isn't getting the right info....

This whole install has given me too many head aches.... bottom line is, I don't really know much when it comes to the electronics and reading the "helpful" 14-page walls of text doesn't get me very far..... who out there knows their stuff and is willing to give a guy a hand? I just want this thing installed and ready to go so I can get the MS tuned properly (finally) and get it on the road on a regular basis.

e30_kid89
06-22-2009, 11:04 PM
I've got it working well on someone's MS, and got the Mega Tune and JAW on the same page..PM me and we can meet up and help you out.

Fel
06-23-2009, 02:01 PM
PM sent... thanks man

Fel
06-23-2009, 04:04 PM
I just found this funny, so I thought I'd post it here too....

I've been trying to get support from the JAW forum, located on the manufacturer's/seller's own website (www.14point7.com). I asked a few questions, got answers to some of them... then asked more questions and got answers to even fewer of them... and then after that, most of my questions were either ignored or I had unrelated questions slung back at me.

Finally, after bumping my thread a few times trying to get SOME sort of help from anyone, the admin posts this:

Hi,

Email me, toalan@14point7.com for RMA

REgards,

Alan to

Basically.... instead of trying to help you... just return the thing and leave us alone.

What the ****?

everlast
06-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Because they don't make enough off the product to support it.

Are you using identical grounding locations for the sensor and MS?

Fel
06-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Because they don't make enough off the product to support it.

Are you using identical grounding locations for the sensor and MS?

Currently no. I've been told both that it was and was not that important.

I could try again and ground it to the same point, but that might fix the discrepency....

Another problem I have is when I try to do a free-air calibration. You're supposed to get back a value between 1 and -1.... I get -60. So something else has to be off, I don't know what.

everlast
06-23-2009, 05:17 PM
The grounds must match, period. Whoever told you otherwise doesn't know his shit. The different grounding points _will_ create a ground offset that depends on the current flow around it, causing the number to be off and compensating for it impossible.

When you do a free air calibration, are you removing the sensor from the pipe? Other than that, I'm out of my league having never used a JAW. If it has a firmware you can flash, that's always an option, but I say that with no basis. :D

Fel
06-23-2009, 05:21 PM
The grounds must match, period. Whoever told you otherwise doesn't know his shit. The different grounding points _will_ create a ground offset that depends on the current flow around it, causing the number to be off and compensating for it impossible.

When you do a free air calibration, are you removing the sensor from the pipe? Other than that, I'm out of my league having never used a JAW. If it has a firmware you can flash, that's always an option, but I say that with no basis. :D

Fair enough... I'll reground it to the same spot the MS is grounded to. That shouldn't be difficult.

Yes, I did remove the sensor from the pipe. I've tried it twice now with the exact same results.

Thanks anyways!

everlast
06-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Good luck! Post back with results! :)

e30_kid89
06-24-2009, 01:38 AM
I remember reading on the JAW forums if you get a werid cal value just set it to zero and see if it works.

Fel
07-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Well, I thought I'd solved my problem, but I think I'm now mistaken...

To start, the wideband is now grounded to the same point as the MS. Now that that's out of the way, I thought I'd made some progress!! The JAW has it's own AFR display, so while looking at the display and looking at the MS output on my laptop, they were both finally showing the exact same reading.... 10.18.

Score, I thought... at least they're on the same page, nevermind that my car is richer than Gates. But then I came to the realisation that 10.18 is the lowest it'll display, thus both sources are showing the same reading because it's the lowest it will show.

So now I'm sort of back at square one.... not sure if I have everythign set properly.

I did try to change a few settings in MS to reflect the new wideband, but I don't think they stuck for some reason (even though I'm sure I burned them to the MS unit....)

So again I'm calling out for some help.... maybe hands on help would be more practical. There's a pack of beer in it for anyone that wants to help out... haha.

everlast
07-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Did you try resetting it after by unplugged the sensor from the controller, then remove and reapply power twice, then plug in sensor?

Fel
07-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Did you try resetting it after by unplugged the sensor from the controller, then remove and reapply power twice, then plug in sensor?

No, I didn't.... what does this do? reset the calibration?

everlast
07-02-2009, 05:34 PM
It's the only way I've got mine 'unfroze' twice now.

Fel
07-03-2009, 12:04 PM
It's the only way I've got mine 'unfroze' twice now.

Okay, I'll give that a hot hopefully tonight... should only take a minute to do that. I'll see if it changes anything...

everlast
07-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Good luck. After that, try using a hammer to teach it a lesson.

Fel
07-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Good luck. After that, try using a hammer to teach it a lesson.

I god, I want to so bad, you have no idea....

Fel
07-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Alright, so here's a legitimate update....

Went out again, tried the unplugging thing... don't know if it actually did anything, but I did it anyways. Decided that if I'm at least getting a signal that's rich, why not just try to center it.

I managed to bring the idle to a good roll, although it idles at around 1250 right now but it's smooth. The JAW and the MS are reading with about a 3 point difference, but I'm getting 12.X and 15.X, so at least I'm getting closer....

Next I'm gonna have to do the same under acceleration, but it would be a help to get the two boards reading the same so I can tune with that.

Fel
07-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Ugh,.... and then I try to drive the car down the road and it's 100x worse under load...

Who wants to buy a Megasquirted car? :P

e30_kid89
07-05-2009, 11:46 PM
LOL, MS can be a true pita...But sounds like you have the JAW working. Are you suing voltout2 or 1?

You know there's always the option of converting back to stock Motoronic engine managment:) No need to sell the car;)

Fel
07-06-2009, 12:58 AM
LOL, MS can be a true pita...But sounds like you have the JAW working. Are you suing voltout2 or 1?

You know there's always the option of converting back to stock Motoronic engine managment:) No need to sell the car;)

Well, it's true.... but I don't know if I'll be doing that.

It's running on a coil pack now, which would have to be changed as well going back to stock... not the end of the world though. But if, lets say, I went turbo in the next couple years, the MS would certainly be a part of that.

First things first though... getting it running as is.

I think I'm going to change out all the plugs this week... something tells me they've seen better days considering the environment they've been running in.