PDA

View Full Version : Problem with car not starting.. :@

001Stunna
06-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Alright well here's the story...
About 3 weeks ago i was going down Dufferin St @ Dupont and managed to hit some large pothole. Heard a big bang and looked in my rearview mirror only to see my oilpan/oilpump behind me in the street. Turned the car off directly, picked up my dead laying parts and called a towtruck to get the car towed to my house. I recently got a pan/pump and a gasket and put it in. Tried starting the car but all i get is crank but no start. I remembered on my other e30 that i once forgot to re-hook the sensors that go on the side of the tranny and it wouldnt start, but once hooking up the sensors all worked out.

I tried the same thing on the current car but nothing...got a set of other sensors and tried those on but still nothing. I've checked the ECU for any burns etc but seemed ok to me.

I've found one problem though...i get no spark at my distributor and therefore no spark in my wires...but im not sure whyyyy. I've tested the wire coming out of my starter and that's fine.

I know that to start i need fuel, spark, compression...and till now i know fuel pump works, and i haven't gotten a chance to test compression but i get no SPARK:mad:

Any1 ever gone through similar issues? any solutions?

325isStephen
06-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Check crank sensor, if it's not good you won't get spark or fuel to the cylinders. Seeing as you smoked your pan I can see that wire/sensor maybe getting damaged.

5thseries
06-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Have a look a the coil

001Stunna
06-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Check crank sensor, if it's not good you won't get spark or fuel to the cylinders. Seeing as you smoked your pan I can see that wire/sensor maybe getting damaged.

I remembered on my other e30 that i once forgot to re-hook the sensors that go on the side of the tranny and it wouldnt start, but once hooking up the sensors all worked out.

I tried the same thing on the current car but nothing...got a set of other sensors and tried those on but still nothing. I've checked the ECU for any burns etc but seemed ok to me.

Already tried...no work =(

this is what i changed http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/thumb/W01331608620BOS.JPG

325isStephen
06-21-2009, 11:46 PM
oh ok, nevermind.

001Stunna
06-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Have a look a the coil

Thats what im thinking of testing tomorrow...the thing is i tested directly at the generator and i get spark, but i havent tested at the end of the wire that comes out of the generator...

maybe the wire got facked...iunno:mad::mad:

T.Dot_E30
06-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Test to see if you get power at the coil.

Haggis
06-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Isn't there a grounding wire from the oil pan to the frame? did you re-connect that?

InfiniteDice
06-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Geeeeeze try checking the fusible link in the trunk a few feet north of the battery it's under shrink wrap on the small black wire, under the plastic guard. 18$

Could be the main relay, or the fuel pump relay...

With a little luck you'll find it.

Ceeker
06-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Ripping out your pan and oil pump on impact wouldn't disable the car unless it was near the impact site. However it could damage electronics. Since you changed sensors, and you got fuel pressure but no spark to the cylinders my bet would be your coil. Check the most obvious stuff like the fuse. it's easy enough to swap out a coil.

001Stunna
06-22-2009, 06:00 PM
I've checked fuses, fuel pressure, fuel pump, main relay, ecu, tranny side sensors, starter, battery...

Gonna do some tests on the ignition coil right now and maybeee i get lucky.

PS. A coil coming from an auto or 4cyl would still work correct???
I got one-two spare ones for my i4 couple years ago at the JY but not sure if they were the same and they're thrown somewhere in a box lol.

Ceeker
06-22-2009, 06:28 PM
I got one from a 6 cyl 87 IS. swing by and shoot me a few bucks.