PDA

View Full Version : Slotted rotors question....

El Gato Liso
06-17-2009, 01:57 AM
I had to give it second thought....but was way too unsure as i've seen both before.

and should i have the rear rotors go in the same direction as the front rotors?
thanks!

A or B *front LEFT strut!!!*

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/862/rotorsfront.jpg

Quack
06-17-2009, 08:18 AM
it really depends on the manufacturer, I had slotted rotors on my 540 and when I was installing them there was a L & a R stamped on the rotor, after installing it looked like the pic "B", do you know the brand of rotor you bought?

Duct_Taper
06-17-2009, 09:08 AM
I would have thought A, assuming you're trying to get the brake dust/gases to go outwards towards the wheel and not inwards towards the hub.

Edit: And whichever way they go, the rears should be the same as the fronts.

Mister
06-17-2009, 09:51 AM
look at pic b,as the wheel rotates the slots clean the surface of brake pads yes.
what would pic A do for yah?nothing slots would be on the wrong angle for rotation unless you drive backwards down the road
crossdrilled for the street good, slotted and crossdrill race application,you go thru a ton of pads. .Mister

craz azn
06-17-2009, 10:29 AM
It won't matter, as long as the rotor vents the proper way. At the rear it won't matter since the disc is solid anyways.

xlash
06-17-2009, 11:43 AM
It's A. As someone one said the setup in A would allow the brake dust, gases to move outwards.

Just my 0.02, slotted/cross drilled rotors really only add aesthetic value. These 2 have been grandfathered in from the olden days when mechanical engineering had to substitute for materials engineering. You want to maximize the area of contact between the brake pads and rotor and slotting and drilling reduces that. And what's worse is you actually increase brake dust by using slotted/cross drilled rotors, thus reducing the lifespan of the pads. I haven't experienced cross drilled rotors but I have heard that they start cracking faster than plain rotors as well.

If you want higher performance rotors go with vented rotors. They dissipate gases and heat a lot faster without hampering the life of the pads.

Quack
06-17-2009, 12:11 PM
the people that are guessing it's "A" you don't really know do you, I already said it's really depends on manufacturers, some have it likepic "A" & some like pic "B", I've installed many slotted rotors & they vary from manufacturer, look at DTM race cars, they have their rotors like pic "B".

slemmer
06-17-2009, 03:36 PM
I don't think they really make any appreciable difference on the street. Just like video cables - pay the $$$ for a 24 ct plated end or less for nickel plated. You'll still see the picture and probably won't know the difference unless someone told you. Plus, you'll needa scope to see any miniscule differences.

juzer
06-22-2009, 03:42 PM
install them like B photo and forget them

bmwm5lover
06-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Mine are installed like A.

The theory is that B gives it a bigger "Bite".

5thseries
06-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Lol nice art
it wont matter
but if you want set them up like "a"