PDA

View Full Version : E30 fuel pump conversion

matty.dc
06-13-2009, 09:11 PM
I own a pre 88 car and was wondering if i could convert that to a single pump using an aftermarket high pressure pump and adjustable fpr?

e30_kid89
06-13-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm sure you can, but why would you want to? (outta curiosity)

The stock FPR is fine.

matty.dc
06-13-2009, 11:22 PM
i want to do it number one for future mods to come and also just to replace the old one thats in there

craz azn
06-14-2009, 12:48 AM
Why not covert to the newer style tank setup then? Already got the pump which is more than enough, and more fuel capacity... useful for down the road when you are boosted :D

everlast
06-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Most mods making any serious power will need a serious fuel solution, in which case the factory FPR is perfect. I believe I've seen other people convert to one pump. I don't see why it wouldn't be anything more than installing the high pressure pump in-tank, re-routing some lines while removing the outer tank. Replace the filter while you're at it.

(I got a 255lhp from cali I'm very happy with, I can dig up the name if you want.)

matty.dc
06-14-2009, 10:33 AM
why would you have to remove parts of the tank?

everlast
06-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Who said that?

By serious fuel solution I meant an engine management system of some sort, in case that wasn't clear. In which case a RRFPR is useless.

matty.dc
06-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Most mods making any serious power will need a serious fuel solution, in which case the factory FPR is perfect. I believe I've seen other people convert to one pump. I don't see why it wouldn't be anything more than installing the high pressure pump in-tank, re-routing some lines while removing the outer tank. Replace the filter while you're at it.

(I got a 255lhp from cali I'm very happy with, I can dig up the name if you want.)

Right here^^

everlast
06-14-2009, 11:36 AM
oh snap... I meant to say while removing the outer PUMP.

LOL. Christ, read my mind next time mmk? ;)

matty.dc
06-14-2009, 05:23 PM
lol yes i figured thats what you meant after thinking about it. i dont think it would be a big deal at all. I think it would be beneficial to replace all of my fuel lines anyways since they're 22 years old.

FuryriderX
06-14-2009, 08:35 PM
if your worried about fuel starvation on the track, keep the early tank. has the crossover pipe which helps with that. for the fuel pump, just gut the in-tank pump (i.e. run a straight hose from the outlet > filter) and put a high flow external pump (bosch 044 if your hardcore) where the stock high pressure pump sits. make sure you use a relay to power it.

matty.dc
06-14-2009, 10:49 PM
we will have to talk about this the next time we meet when i get back from phoenix, but what i was thinking was cancelling the external pump and replacing the in-tank with a high flow unit.

hadesm5
06-15-2009, 11:44 AM
I want to jump on this band wagon, except I want to keep the early tank.

Would the late model fuel pump fit in the same bracket so that I could keep the return lines in the same place? What about the connector (though that should be easy to change).

everlast
06-15-2009, 11:49 AM
I've heard of a few e30's getting fuel starvation with the late model tank on right hand corners. That sucks.

I would just get a 255lph pump and retrofit it to the existing bracket. That's what I did and that shit was easy.