PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy detailing supplies in the GTA???

///MsAniTy
06-11-2009, 09:44 PM
My buddy bought a simoniz buffer and we wanna try it out on his ride. We want to know where to find polish and wax pads for the buffer which i think is 10inchs in diameter. we would also like to buy some good polishing products for the car.

Also if anyone knows of any place in mississauga that would be great

daveyto
08-11-2009, 05:32 PM
That buffer is pretty crappy and can burn paint....i know...I have one

Ceeker
08-11-2009, 05:49 PM
any rotary buffer can burn paint. You have to know how to use it so that you DON'T burn the paint. :-) That comes with experience more then anything else. That with the right buffer and application (knowing which pad and product to use for what result) can make your car look like glass or burn through to the metal. Get yourself a crappy hood or trunk lid with faded paint and practice first before you give your buddy a stroke!!!! LOL..

Gamite
08-12-2009, 12:59 PM
I buy all my supplies from eshine.ca

slemmer
08-12-2009, 01:02 PM
And test in an inconspicious place

e36nut
08-12-2009, 02:32 PM
You've really burned through the paint? What were you using when doing this, a floor buffer? You can buy all the Simoniz pads at Canadian Tire or Part Source stores. I have a Simoniz 10" polisher as well and it works great.

Gamite
08-12-2009, 02:35 PM
the 10" random orbital lacks the speed and power to polish correctly. If you only want to apply polish, then this is sufficient. However if you want to correct paint e.g: swirls, you need something more powerful.

Ceeker
08-12-2009, 03:08 PM
if you want to learn and do a seriously great job. Get yourself a makita multi speed polisher. It's lighter then most and more easy to use then other name brands. Not an orbital. it doesn't do anything except vibrate and gets you all excited..lol. What you get from crappy tire is for the novice. it isn't professional. if you are looking for professional products crappy won't do.
Ferecla products are what most serious body shops use - which I use/used in the past and knowledge of working with these products is required. There are others out there which also work great which I have used, again required a know how of the product and not just the machine. Most people like using sponge and cotton pads because they are safer and cut less. But wool is the way to go if you want to clean the paint up quick and effectively. This is a skill which requires patience, "FINESSE" and knowledge through learning from someone with experience. Experience is the greatest teacher!

Those who don't make mistakes never went the distance, or won't admit to making them.

W2WDETAILING
08-12-2009, 06:12 PM
if you want to learn and do a seriously great job. Get yourself a makita multi speed polisher. It's lighter then most and more easy to use then other name brands. Not an orbital. it doesn't do anything except vibrate and gets you all excited..lol. What you get from crappy tire is for the novice. it isn't professional. if you are looking for professional products crappy won't do.
Ferecla products are what most serious body shops use - which I use/used in the past and knowledge of working with these products is required. There are others out there which also work great which I have used, again required a know how of the product and not just the machine. Most people like using sponge and cotton pads because they are safer and cut less. But wool is the way to go if you want to clean the paint up quick and effectively. This is a skill which requires patience, "FINESSE" and knowledge through learning from someone with experience. Experience is the greatest teacher!

Those who don't make mistakes never went the distance, or won't admit to making them.

i have to agree with you! but simoniz makes a rotary which i actually have its half the price of the makita and its variable speed. for a novice its good for a pro its not the best due to its weight. the pads at ct are garbage. try napa or your local auto supply place. eshine is also a great place!

daveyto
08-12-2009, 07:35 PM
I also have the simoniz rotary and it seems cheap and wobbly...but a fraction of the cost . It appears to do the job...but I realized I could do some real damage....anybody know how I would polish smaller areas? Should I buy smaller pads?

Say...4 inch?

regards and thanks for all the usefull info...

Ceeker
08-12-2009, 07:41 PM
yes, you can buy the Farecla brand sponge wheel. The foam is fused to the backing plate. It is soft enough to conform to corners - 3.5 in. in diameter. You can also get the velcro backing Maguire's pads - also in foam approx diam 4 in. that will work. Anything you can't get to by machine can always be done by good o'l elbow grease - hand polish.

Note: if anyone should get their hands on the Ferecla G3 or G10 compound be careful to tape off or cover all moldings as it will stain them. Some other brands of compound also have the same effect.

The other machine available, which costs more the Makita is Milwaukee. This one is much heavier which actually can work to your advantage if you know how to let the machine put pressure using its own weight - can help to do the work you would normally need to do with pressure from your hands.

daveyto
08-12-2009, 09:58 PM
thanks ceeker!