PDA

View Full Version : My new mission...Supercharged M20

matty.dc
06-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Well i've been thinking of ways to increase my power on a decent budget sooo. One of the alternatives to turbo is obviously the supercharger. I've been searching around and the most common type of reliable supercharger is the Corrado G60 G-lader supercharger. These run around 200-500 some are rebuilt for that price and some aren't. I've been thinking of machining a custom braket to mount this to where my a/c compressor would sit. and make it inline with the fan pulley. To turn it I would machine a piece to go over the normally v-belted part where the a/c would run off of to make it compatible with the serpentine belt.

Any opinions/ comments/ thoughts about the idea.

Matt

e30_kid89
06-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Reliable and g60 supercharger should not be put together...lol. You will still have to deal with an EMS to deal with the S/C.

why not turbo the m20? been done a lot over on e30tech.

SamE30e
06-11-2009, 01:41 AM
Turbo.

craz azn
06-11-2009, 01:56 AM
do the blower. I have a G60 supercharger for sale :D

guibo
06-11-2009, 09:16 AM
i hate impeller style superchargers. they behave like a turbo, ie. non-linear power delivery while being complicated to install.

i say, you either go with a proper supercharger (eaton or better yet, twinscroll) or you go turbo.

richie_s999
06-11-2009, 09:37 AM
SUPER CHARGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

sic///M
06-11-2009, 10:10 AM
take a peek over on vwvortex.com , g60's are just the opposite, ppl hate them

matty.dc
06-11-2009, 05:13 PM
sure i could turbo it, but then i would just be hopping on the bandwagon.

matty.dc
06-11-2009, 05:14 PM
as for the g60 for sale....what is the price your looking to get?

matty.dc
06-11-2009, 05:49 PM
i hate impeller style superchargers. they behave like a turbo, ie. non-linear power delivery while being complicated to install.

i say, you either go with a proper supercharger (eaton or better yet, twinscroll) or you go turbo.

lol you just stated that you hate the non-linear pressure of a centrifugal compressor so what would make a difference between the turbo or centrifugal supercharger. I dont want to go with a twin screw simply because it yould be a horror to mount, since they usually go in place of your intake manifold. I want to put this in a place where it can be easily lined up with the existing pullies (the a/c mount).

njansenv
06-11-2009, 07:28 PM
^Turbo provide boost everywhere above the boost threshold. The boost on a centrifigul supercharger increases wrt rpms. Not so bad on a "high torque", "low hp" car since the boost adds torque (and therefore hp) where the n/a version of the motor leaves off.

Nathan

matty.dc
06-11-2009, 09:40 PM
hmm actually maybe the g-lader is too small to power the m20

FuryriderX
06-11-2009, 11:08 PM
dont use a g60 supercharger. they arent very reliable, and are expensive to rebuild.

just look at how many people swap it for a turbo to get your answer.

i have an eaton m62 i was going to put on my car, with a bunch of piping made up. designed to fit where the alternator was, then you'd put the alt where the a/c was.
i really dont want much for it, pm me if your interested.

Jonee
06-11-2009, 11:26 PM
how much power do you get of superchargers just curious ?

matty.dc
06-12-2009, 12:45 AM
im trying to figure out a good way to mount the s/c. That's why a centrifugal would be perfect. its about the same size as the a/c unit and all i would have to do is make a custom bracket/ pulley attachement

guibo
06-12-2009, 02:01 PM
lol you just stated that you hate the non-linear pressure of a centrifugal compressor so what would make a difference between the turbo or centrifugal supercharger. I dont want to go with a twin screw simply because it yould be a horror to mount, since they usually go in place of your intake manifold. I want to put this in a place where it can be easily lined up with the existing pullies (the a/c mount).

thats exactly my point. centrifugal compressor feels and behaves pretty much like a turbo, so why would you bother with a supercharger and end up with a turbo feel? if you dont care about that, then just go turbocharger, it's proven.

i would only invest in the SC effort if it is a true blower style, with linear response and no lag.

matty.dc
06-12-2009, 03:29 PM
i just want to do something different. The reason i want to go with a centrifugal design is because mounting would be very simple compared to a roots or twin screw design.

echo
06-13-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm running a roots-type SC off a Toyota (SC14). It's small so fits where the AC was, which aside from the issue with intake being near the exhaust manifold, means that the piping from S/C to I/C to intake manifold is nice and tidy.

It's a little small though. I'm only getting between 4 and 6psi.

Very reliable though... And it screams its little head off!

matty.dc
06-14-2009, 12:23 AM
lmao sounds like a plan. what is the power difference?

everlast
06-14-2009, 01:41 AM
dont use a g60 supercharger. they arent very reliable, and are expensive to rebuild.

just look at how many people swap it for a turbo to get your answer.

i have an eaton m62 i was going to put on my car, with a bunch of piping made up. designed to fit where the alternator was, then you'd put the alt where the a/c was.
i really dont want much for it, pm me if your interested.

That's the way I'd go. I have an Eaton m90 I was going to cram where the alt was, but the m62 is a much better suited SC.

Really, if you're willing to machine parts to fit where the a/c was, it's a small thing to machine something to fit the alt there, then you have lots of room for the sc, wide pulleys and idler. You need a large, beefy belt for a SC, nothing like the one for the a/c or alt.

I'd go with a water cooler in place where the AFM was, then use MS to tune so you don't need a AFM or MAF sensor.

Future proofing is easy to: port the intake, add headers, big exhaust. All will make more and more power.

edit: this turbo this is the fastest band wagon I've ever been on. ;)

FuryriderX
06-14-2009, 09:39 PM
fyi, the alternator will fit where the a/c is without changing brackets, if i remember correctly. you just need to lengthen wires.

yay for boosty bandwagons

echo
06-14-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm getting around 25-30% over stock. Numbers vary depending on the dyno it goes on, but that's the rough percentage difference at the wheels compared with sotck cars on the same dynos. Around 180rwhp.

It's running a serpentine belt with an idler.

Running stock AFM, uprated injectors, and rising rate FPR. Much more boost would need an uprated fuel pump aswell. ECU is factory motronic with a custom remap. i.e. a custom EPROM chip that is the result of 8-10 hours on the dyno. Worked out cheaper than an aftermarket system like MS or similar, with similar dyno time, and equal or better results (when compared with others doing much the same thing over here but runnning aftermarket ecu).

For the doubters or curious among you I can go into more detail, but basically, the guy I used is a bit of a legend around these parts for doing custom motronic ecu's. Plugs his laptop directly into the ecu harness, maps line by line, and then burns it to a blank eprom, and viola! He did some tests with a mates race car back to back with a Link aftermarket ecu (one of the best aftermarket ecu solutions you can buy), and got more with his custom chip than he could get out of the link with better reliability, and then did tests with and without the AFM, and these showed that the factory AFM is actually very efficient and makes very little reduction on air flows and thus power.

These are not off-the-shelf chips though....

I'm not rubbishing aftermarket ecu's - MS, Link, MoTeC, etc are very good, and do the job really, really well. On high boost setups with wasted spark and so on, I imagine they are the only real option. However, given the right expertise, the factory motronic units can be made to do some really cool stuff.

SpoolinS6
06-15-2009, 06:39 AM
i have a nice mercedes charger made by eaton if im not mistaken its a m54 or something like that its off of a c230 kompressor clean and ready to go

InfiniteDice
06-15-2009, 10:00 AM
One thing I hate about turbo is the exhaust work, let's face it. It's the reason most people loathe implementing one. Then there is the heat, which has to be contained.

Everyone has their own opinion, which is best? depends what your goal is, that's why after all these years both are still made in various forms.

matty.dc
06-15-2009, 10:16 AM
You're exactly right. With a supercharger all i have to do is mount it, plumb it, run the piping for the intercooler and the intake and that solves all of the problems pretty much, except for the fuel, etc.

slimjim
06-15-2009, 01:57 PM
s/c it.....haters

everlast
06-15-2009, 02:17 PM
LOL I'm not hater. I have an M90 in my basement!! It was a real toss up to decide to go turbo over s/c. In the end, I saw too many threads of s/c builds where they ate belts every day and eventually gave up.

Since I don't give up on anything, I would never have a working car lol.

echo
06-17-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm yet to wreck a belt. Put around a thousand kms on so far.

By the time I was done, a turbo setup would have been much the same work. S/C seems easier but its not really any different. The challenges are just different.

I love the way the S/C sounds though.

"k"car man
06-18-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm in the middle of my turbo build, I think I might sell the car and supercharge my other car 90 325i