PDA

View Full Version : Have a little problem...

matty.dc
06-09-2009, 11:10 PM
When I drive my car all i can smell is gas, but when I go to check for leaks there is nothing to be found every time.

Also the car seems to be kind of gutless. Maybe that's because it's auto (for now), but could be something else.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Matt

W2WDETAILING
06-09-2009, 11:16 PM
When I drive my car all i can smell is gas, but when I go to check for leaks there is nothing to be found every time.

Also the car seems to be kind of gutless. Maybe that's because it's auto (for now), but could be something else.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Matt

what area's have you checked for leaks? have you replaced your fuel filter? it alsmost sounds like your car is possibly running too rich how is the idle does it start easy? also when you go to the gas station and FILL up do you notice any leaks... ive been told and actually have this problem(the seal at the top of the tank goes bad and my car leaks gas if i fill it up all the way someone told me its the seal

matty.dc
06-09-2009, 11:19 PM
ive checked under the hood. Actually one time i went to the side of my car and there was a strong smell coming from where the filter is. It takes a couple of seconds to start almost like the fuel isnt there right away.

W2WDETAILING
06-09-2009, 11:21 PM
ive checked under the hood. Actually one time i went to the side of my car and there was a strong smell coming from where the filter is. It takes a couple of seconds to start almost like the fuel isnt there right away.

have you replaced the fuel
filter?

matty.dc
06-09-2009, 11:26 PM
no i havent

Ceeker
06-09-2009, 11:28 PM
change it and put a 5 sp in it!!

matty.dc
06-09-2009, 11:30 PM
lol its all sitting in my shed

supernaught
06-10-2009, 12:05 AM
you might want to look at the fuel lines themselves, you might have a leak. Check them all the way from the rail to where they go up to the tank/filter. maybe the line or return is cracked somewhere.
Sounds likely if the lines arent charged when you try to start it, or your pump is leaking/bad.
Pull the back lower seat and the cover and see if there is gas leaking from around the pump.

richie_s999
06-10-2009, 12:25 AM
solid lines on the top of the tank may be going

everlast
06-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Pop out the back seat, remove the cover then take it for a spirited rip and look for gas leakage on the top of the tank. Also, the filler neck assembly is a piece of shit on these cars; there are lots of little parts that rust above the pass rear wheel that allow leaks. One isn't even on the ETK / RealOEM. PITA.

matty.dc
06-10-2009, 04:41 PM
today I purchased a fuel filter and fuel injectors o rings to get a good seal after i clean my injectors out this weekend since it felt a little slow. I will remove the inspection cover under the rear seat to check for leaks and replace the lines if needed.

SamE30e
06-10-2009, 10:19 PM
today I purchased a fuel filter and fuel injectors o rings to get a good seal after i clean my injectors out this weekend since it felt a little slow. I will remove the inspection cover under the rear seat to check for leaks and replace the lines if needed.

Check the over flow from the filler tube. If you can't see it from underneath the seat, take the rear right inner fender out and check the tubes there.

matty.dc
06-10-2009, 10:51 PM
will do for sure

matty.dc
06-12-2009, 02:33 PM
well cleaned the injectors and replaced the fuel filter which was much needed since the last time it was changed was in June of 1990. The car feels a little better, but i have yet to push it, so we'll see what happens.

5thseries
06-12-2009, 09:53 PM
did you... did you fart?

emas
06-29-2009, 09:58 PM
hi,

you should look at the top of the fuel tank as the seam welding may be leaking. mine was and i replaced the tank. 1000 job to do it right... to test this, fill your tank to the very max. take it for drive. look for leaks under the tank. it may not be visiable to as where the leak is exaclty. i would wipe the entire area and then let the car sit after a short drive..

emas

richie_s999
06-29-2009, 10:56 PM
hi,

you should look at the top of the fuel tank as the seam welding may be leaking. mine was and i replaced the tank. 1000 job to do it right... to test this, fill your tank to the very max. take it for drive. look for leaks under the tank. it may not be visiable to as where the leak is exaclty. i would wipe the entire area and then let the car sit after a short drive..

emas

$1000 for a gas tank, who the hell did you take it too???? you got raped unless alot of other things were done at the same time (like all the brake and fuel lines above the tank...even then never heard of a grand for a gas tank!