PDA

View Full Version : Air bag Wheel disarming and removal

Boxer2
06-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Does anyone know how to SAFELY do this procedure?

I'd like to remove my air bag wheel and put on my momo.

thanks

Rene

SamE30e
06-10-2009, 01:19 AM
I just unscrew it and un plug it with my face away from it.

Ceeker
06-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Not if you want to keep it. Not only do you destroy the wheel but that is just plain stupid and dangerous. (shaking head) there is a current running to the wheel at all times. I believe you have to disable the control unit first before attempting to remove without risking it from deploying. I've seen this happen where guys would be doing service on a car and for some reason they had to remove the steering wheel and the bag went off. New air bag wheel? priceless.!!! went to powder their faces also priceless as well as a little sun burn. :-) Check with a BMW dealership or an auto body shop.

Boxer2
06-10-2009, 09:29 AM
I definitely want to keep it, and I don't want to destroy the wheel, and most of all I don't want it to deploy on me!....So as far as unscrewing it with my face away from it, that won't be happening!

I will check with my local stealership, unless anyone else here know the correct way.
thanks Ceeker*th-up*

guibo
06-10-2009, 10:47 AM
unplug battery, pump brake a few times, rid your body of static by touching exposed metal on the car.

airbag wont go off without power in the system.

Boxer2
06-10-2009, 12:57 PM
^How does the cover on the wheel come off? do you just pull/pry it off?

I don't want to break it.

Boxer2
06-10-2009, 01:05 PM
OK so I just got the call back from the stealership and they gave me the same procedure as described by guibo, thanks man*th-up*, but they could not tell me how to disarm the passenger side bag. Will this make any difference if it remains armed?, personally I would just like to disarm both sides to avoid accidental deployment.

guibo
06-10-2009, 01:07 PM
OK so I just got the call back from the stealership and they gave me the same procedure as described by guibo, thanks man*th-up*, but they could not tell me how to disarm the passenger side bag. Will this make any difference if it remains armed?, personally I would just like to disarm both sides to avoid accidental deployment.

both are unarmed at the same time with the procedure i described.

Ceeker
06-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Cover should pop off; pry on it gently just to see if it gives. As far as I remember I don't believe any screws hold it down. Remember not to pry the emblem..otherwise you'll be in for a cosmetic disappointment. (Grin) the air bag unit should come free intact with the steering nut exposed below it.

Boxer2
06-10-2009, 01:13 PM
^ok that's cool, but I'd like to leave the passenger's side one in but just have it disarmed even when the battery is re-connected, is there an electrical connection that I can simply unplug?

Ceeker
06-10-2009, 01:30 PM
I honestly don't know because it's been so long since I looked into it. I'm sure Guibo would know.

Fel
06-10-2009, 03:37 PM
^ok that's cool, but I'd like to leave the passenger's side one in but just have it disarmed even when the battery is re-connected, is there an electrical connection that I can simply unplug?

What would be your motivation for permanently disconnecting the passenger side airbag? You need those to live. (Well, your passengers do, anyways)

Boxer2
06-10-2009, 06:09 PM
What would be your motivation for permanently disconnecting the passenger side airbag? You need those to live. (Well, your passengers do, anyways)

I'm basically just disconnecting the pass side to avoid an unwanted deployment so the dash don't get wrecked in the process....and since the system is old and I have disconnected the driver's wheel bag I'm worried it my deploy on it's own one day. Or am I just being paranoid*drink*??

guibo
06-10-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm basically just disconnecting the pass side to avoid an unwanted deployment so the dash don't get wrecked in the process....and since the system is old and I have disconnected the driver's wheel bag I'm worried it my deploy on it's own one day. Or am I just being paranoid*drink*??

you're being paranoid. with the battery unplugged, and the remaining juice in the system drained (pressing the brake), you're airbag wont go off, even if you leave it connected.

SamE30e
06-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Not if you want to keep it. Not only do you destroy the wheel but that is just plain stupid and dangerous. (shaking head) there is a current running to the wheel at all times. I believe you have to disable the control unit first before attempting to remove without risking it from deploying. I've seen this happen where guys would be doing service on a car and for some reason they had to remove the steering wheel and the bag went off. New air bag wheel? priceless.!!! went to powder their faces also priceless as well as a little sun burn. :-) Check with a BMW dealership or an auto body shop.

How does that destroy it.

Oh yea I forgot to add in unplug the battery. So technically I was right if I had said unplug the battery.

Boxer2
06-10-2009, 07:18 PM
you're being paranoid. with the battery unplugged, and the remaining juice in the system drained (pressing the brake), you're airbag wont go off, even if you leave it connected.

So with this being said, once I have removed the airbag wheel and installed the momo wheel and re-connected the battery, the system will not be compromised by seeing that one of the airbags is no longer present and inadvertently deploy the passenger side?

Boxer2
06-10-2009, 07:22 PM
How does that destroy it.

Oh yea I forgot to add in unplug the battery. So technically I was right if I had said unplug the battery.

yep you were right if you would have mentioned the battery, just wanted to make sure I had all my bases covered before I attempted this.

5thseries
06-10-2009, 09:05 PM
e30s have airbags?

I have pulled many wheels off e30s already, my face has not yet been mashed by anything

SamE30e
06-10-2009, 10:18 PM
e30s have airbags?

I have pulled many wheels off e30s already, my face has not yet been mashed by anything

It was an option on late models.

craz azn
06-10-2009, 10:23 PM
It was an option on late models.

It was? I did not know... I thought only late US cars came with it, and CDN cars didn't until '92 late model e36s? However, I do know that late e30s are prewired for it.

///Mmm
06-10-2009, 10:38 PM
My bro had a 92' Vert ( E30 ) with a driver airbag, But i never seen a passenger airbag.

Can someone post a pic please!

guibo
06-11-2009, 08:18 AM
yeah i dont think there are passenger airbags now that i think about it. no space in an e30 dash for that.

but no, only a terribly designed system will deploy an airbag because the other is missing. this is pretty much impossible. what will happen is the system will be disabled because of a fault (missing airbag).

Boxer2
06-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the info and help guibo*th-up*

I probably won't be getting to this until next weekend, but I will let you know how I made out.

Old_School
06-11-2009, 10:42 PM

Those 1st Gen airbags are crap - they deploy too quickly (or not at all, after 20 years). If your passenger is not between 5'4 and 5'10 (approx - I forget the actual height range) they risk more injury from the airbag than the impact -assuming they arent stupid, and employ the real lifesaver - the seatbelt.

Front airbags are not really lifesavers unless the impact is pretty severe, they are injury reducers as long as the primary restraint (seatbelt) is employed. Side impact airbags ARE lifesavers though, but they are a relatively new development.