PDA

View Full Version : how to realign bumper?

davericher20
05-31-2009, 10:52 PM
Hey guys, My bumper and spoiler have a gap i'd like to fix, more-so on the front spoiler.

the pic is kinda dark but hope you can see it enough..........

how do i fix it?

craz azn
05-31-2009, 11:15 PM
My car does the same thing, and it annoys me to hell and back. You can't really change the bumper too much, you can adjust the height a bit with the bumper shocks, but it won't give you that much to work with. You might be better off to realign the front valance in the middle instead. I need to do mine, but I am too lazy fixing other broken crap on a regular basis :D

everlast
06-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Sorry, I can't really make out where the gap is in that pic..

You can adjust the bumper at the shocks somewhat. You can use washers as spacers for more adjustment, and the side clips are completely adjustable once you get the front where you want it. Leaving the bumper on, take out the inner fender well liner (having the front tires off helps too) and loosen the two 13mm bolts that go into the side clips. I would oil spray the area like mad first until its pouring out from under the bumper, then loosen the bolts, slide the bumper into the proper alignment and tighten the bolts.

The oil is necessary because there will be a lot of grit in between the clip and the paintwork which you don't really want scratching. Rust magnet later on.

craz azn
06-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I think he means the gap below the middle of the bumper, and the lack of it at the top. My car is the same way :(

everlast
06-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Like, above the oil cooler holes in the valance? Got any better pics?

davericher20
06-01-2009, 12:35 PM
I'll take a better pic when I get home today, thanks guys

davericher20
06-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Here's a better closeup

I know I know it's huge but wtf.

craz azn
06-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Try to adjust the valance. If you move the bumper down, it will just make the gaps up top become bigger, so that won't be a good option.

davericher20
06-02-2009, 11:46 AM
The Valance is the bottom spoiler right? is it called a spoiler?(the part that holds the foglights and oil cooler?)

everlast
06-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Yeah, that's messed up. The valance appears to be a separate component from the part behind the bumper. On my car, they're all one piece, so I'm assuming someone added this valance and didn't line it up or anything. Measure how much it needs to go up with the bumper on, then remove the bumper and see what you need to do. I think this is a unique situation so there isn't any off the shelf solution that I know of.

craz azn
06-02-2009, 09:12 PM
The Valance is the bottom spoiler right? is it called a spoiler?(the part that holds the foglights and oil cooler?)

Yea, Valance, spoiler, whatever. It is all one piece. That trim that runs under the headlight grills and the bit that holds the foglights/oil cooler grill is one big metal piece. To adjust it, there are 4 tabs that you can loosen the bolts off a bit, and try to shift the valance with the bumper on, headlight grills out. If that won't work, you are SOL. Good luck.

everlast
06-03-2009, 12:08 AM
In that picture, it doesn't look like one piece. How about a picture with the bumper off?