PDA

View Full Version : suspension question

b-dawgGTA
05-27-2009, 06:25 PM
So my cars been on the road now for a couple days lol and i already have the mod bug. gotta drop her (dirty tractor gap). so here is my question. can i just do springs? because after checking out prices its seems like a lot to do both shocks and springs.

If it makes a difference, i wont be tracking the car, i dont drive all crazy like, also i would like to use ebatich lowering kit.

Thanks guys

matty.dc
05-27-2009, 06:30 PM
lol there will be many against me on this one.......Im on Apex springs that have a 60mm drop and the stock shocks are fine so far....ive known other people they lasted for even 6 months before changing them. You should be fine using that kit since i think its only a 1.6" drop, but you really should use the shortened shocks.

Duct_Taper
05-27-2009, 06:52 PM
I did just the springs on my vert and the stock shocks are holding up so far (fingers crossed).

If you are doing the work yourself and you have the right tools for the job, it's not a big deal to change out the shocks/struts later if the stock ones fail.

If you're getting a shop to do it... I'd do it all at once. Better than paying the labour to have it done twice.

b-dawgGTA
05-27-2009, 07:01 PM
im debating doing it my self, i have a friend who has a spring compressor or what ever ya call it. If i do you that kit, and do shocks what shocks should i use? i only know of hr and blistens are a good mix, but i dont like the stance.

msinger
05-28-2009, 08:45 AM
I have bilsteins and an FK 60/40 kit, and the stance couldnt be better in my opinion. no gap, but not tucking ridiculously either. the ride quality is pretty amazing too, although i do have adjustable sways too.

echo
05-28-2009, 08:43 PM
I did just springs on my old e30, and springs and shocks on my current one.

Yes you CAN do just springs, but the difference to the handling with a matched set of shocks is HUGE. Best modification I've ever done to the e30; even better than supercharging it.

Ej_Red
05-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Your shocks are probably shot due to the age. When i took my front shocks out of the strut housings, they had oil all over them and the car wasn't even lowered.

Anyways, ground control coilovers is the best way to go imo.

craz azn
05-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Your shocks are probably shot due to the age. When i took my front shocks out of the strut housings, they had oil all over them and the car wasn't even lowered.

Anyways, ground control coilovers is the best way to go imo.

Normally there is a touch of oil inside the strut, I've heard its to cool the shock a bit. Beats me if its true or not, but I usually put some oil back in there anyways when installing new shock cartridges in my car.

b-dawgGTA
05-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the input guys, im leaning towards savin up more money and just doing both i think. Seem like the smart way to go( no offense to people that just did shocks)

stan man
05-29-2009, 08:45 AM
^ good call!

doing the job once beats doing it twice

richie_s999
05-29-2009, 10:02 AM
I have had the apex springs on for a year and a half (with eibac sway bars front and rear) and had no isues. I did have a front strut seal go but that was a origional strut with 320000km, so it was going to happen. stock struts with springs will be fine if the OP said he wasn't tracking or driving crazy.

Remember that after dropping the car you will need to get the toe set on the front end. Should run you about $60 at a good front end shop. If you don't do this you'll be into a new set of front tires very quickly.

Also I beleive the OP hase a 318is, make sure you get springs for the 318is and not a 325, they do have different spring rates, minor difference but still a difference.