PDA

View Full Version : the good.. the bad.. and a little help...

BMe30
05-24-2009, 06:13 PM
the good...

Well since my last post i got rid of the ebay lights front and rear. got some oem projectors, euro grills, and a us spec rear filler plate and put the stock tails back in. car looks sweet. i have been collecting, cleaning, and repainting part needed for the 5 bolt swap. i was hoping to get that all done before june but i can't.. so i found some rims to run on so i didn't have to run with my winter tires anymore...

now for the bad...

i put the new rims on and i made the fatal mistake of not double checking the bolts after using the impact gun with the torque sticks. and here is the result....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/modfire/bmw/digital_camxjpegx200905221709000.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/modfire/bmw/digital_camxjpegx200905221718000.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/modfire/bmw/digital_camxjpegx200905221716000.jpg

shitty buzz....

on the plus side the only damage is that fender.. the door is fine and the underside of the ball joint is the only part that took the impact and drag. i was going maybe 30km/h when it happend on my street. i was able to get a jack under and to get 2 bolts back in with one of the winter rims back on and drive it back home. lesson learned... don't trust the impact with tq sticks. it was my first time in about 12 years of swaping rims either for summer/winter rims or summer/r-comps where this has happened. never assume.

the little help....

anyone have a spare driverside fender? and where can i get some new longer bolts and some hubcentric spacers 5-10mm thanks

this is all till i can fully finish all that is needed till my 5 bolt swap.

thanks...

richie_s999
05-24-2009, 07:45 PM
holly shit !!!!

glad to here your ok though!!!!!

don't have the fender(cross canada auto body $80 for a new one) but have a set of 5mm spacers, and might have a fender flare if you need it.

craz azn
05-24-2009, 08:01 PM
damn, that sucks bruno. good thing it didnt mess up the paint on the door.

iignite
05-24-2009, 08:41 PM
you shoulda kept rippin it hard to keep all the weight in the back, that'd be badass

jks, looks like an easy fix if its just the fender and ball joint. Double check to see if anything else is bent or whatnot.

good luckk

myndgone
05-24-2009, 08:49 PM
damn...that sucks!!!! good thing it didnt happen on the 401 on-ramp or something like that...

BMe30
05-24-2009, 09:47 PM
hey rich are they hubcentric? also do i need to get longer bolts? how wide of a spacer can i go before i need longer bolts? it looks like my ix flare is still in good shape.. but i'll double check tomorrow night when i start taking it apart.

Rudy, there is just a small chip on the door thats all :)

iignite, i think the ball joint is still good.. only other thing that is damaged is the fender liner and one of the fender tabs are bent. the car skid for about 10'.

I hope to have the car back on the road in 2 weeks... i'm going to milk driving my sisters car while she's on her honeymoon lol :) i'll post some other pics when i can

richie_s999
05-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Bruno pm me your email and I will send pics of the spacers, bolts depend on rims, some need longer some don't, best way to tell is to drop a bolt in the rims and see how far it comes out. I can bring the stuff out to Etobikoe to work one evening if you want to check them out.

everlast
05-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Wow, that's fairly spectacular. I'm glad you're alright and nothing more serious happened. On the downside, you'll have to look at the scrape in the pavement everytime you drive by. ;)

BMe30
05-25-2009, 07:33 PM
^^^^lol you know i drove by it this morning and on the way home... never noticed it :)

hey rich... not to worry.. here is the silver lining... i'm just going to swap in the 5 bolt parts now instead of after i move in to my house.

Ej_Red
05-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Glad you are ok but i can't see how would using a torque stick caused it? Either you have a really weak gun or a low torque torque stick?

Red_Rocket
05-25-2009, 08:47 PM
First off that sucks but thats not a lot of damage from a wheel falling off so thats good. Its not the guns fault or the torque stick its the lack of cfm from an air tank or if you were using an electric impact gun they say they put out lots of torque but they dont.

Ej_Red
05-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Yea what kind of compressor are you using?

BMe30
05-25-2009, 08:57 PM
electric... all in all this was a "what not to use" situations.

in the end i should have still checked it by hand. but because i was in a rush i assumed it was ok... live and learn

i started to take the fender off.. damn its tricky. i think i have 2 left.. the upper tab by the door and the one behind the bumper... looks like i have to take the bumper off :S

but hey... 5lug on the way :)

SamE30e
05-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Shitty deal, it didn't wobble at all, you didn't notice?

adam325i
05-26-2009, 01:28 AM
at work i forgot to tigten 2 lug nuts on a car, wheel didn't fall off but the customer was a bit conserened but understood people make mistakes.

BMe30
05-26-2009, 06:48 AM
Shitty deal, it didn't wobble at all, you didn't notice?

the funny thing is that wheel was the one i put more air into.. as i was on my way back home i did start to notice a little wiggle. i assumed that the tire was losing air... as it got worse i started to slow down.. just as i was about to stop.. thats when it happened. at first i thought i lost the tire from the rim... that was until i saw the wheel bounce down the street :D

theox69
05-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Oh shit.
Check out some local junkyards, I'm sure they have a spare fender there.

MGYVER
05-26-2009, 01:31 PM
I borrowed my friend's 1983 320i once. Had the wheel fall off on the 401 doing 100km/hr. Luckly it was the rear wheel. Threw up a 35ft rooster tail of sparks but otherwise managed to coast 1 km (didn't dare touch the brakes) until stopping on the shoulder. Wheel was still attached to the brake drum, the whole assembly had came off the axle !

Dado 540
05-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Dude wow. Luck cops didnt see you. Its a heavy fine if your wheel falls off while driving.

ACS_DAN
05-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Dude wow. Luck cops didnt see you. Its a heavy fine if your wheel falls off while driving.

*smoke*

MGYVER
05-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Actually the cops did see me. I had to walk back the mile to get the wheel. It was leaning against the centre median. I rolled it all the way down the median until it was across from the car on the shoulder. This was around 11:00am on a Sun morning. When there was an opening in traffic, I rolled the wheel across to the shoulder side. As I was bent over to pick the wheel up an OPP cruiser pulled within 1 foot of my head. He then chose that moment to "blip" the siren. He then proceeded to lecture me about walking on a highway and threatened to give me a ticket.*no-no* Never did he ask what happened, ask if I was all right, or even offer to call me a tow truck. Just told me to consider myself lucky for not getting a ticket and drove off.

T.Dot_E30
05-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Damn that sucks!

Sorry to hear, but i think you forgot to tighten that wheel completely. Lugs spun all the way in don't come loose that easy, even if they aren't torqued fully.

theox69
05-27-2009, 10:48 AM
i think you forgot to tighten that wheel completely. Lugs spun all the way in don't come loose that easy, even if they aren't torqued fully.

Unless the wheel wasn't properly balanced. In which case, the wheel could essentially vibrate the lugs enough for them to screw off.

BMe30
05-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Damn that sucks!

Sorry to hear, but i think you forgot to tighten that wheel completely. Lugs spun all the way in don't come loose that easy, even if they aren't torqued fully.

thats possible...

richie_s999
05-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Bruno...how long till you have the car back on the road???

BMe30
05-29-2009, 01:14 PM
well i'm hoping by sometime next week i'll have the fronts in for the 5bolt swap... i'll be abble to drive around then... june 8th she goes to RMP to get the rear end 5 lug swap done... then some time after that back to the body shop.

hey anyone got a line on some 205/55/r15 tires?