PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions......for my 325i???

dble Trouble
05-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Hello all,

I'm starting to gather information for what all of you think is the best, not only for performance but bang for the buck in terms of suspension, brakes, engine power increases (either by bolt ons or swaps like s52), race style seats with recline, etc. This car sees hardcore track days as well as autocrosses. Also note, this car is a daily driver, so it has to remain reliable, and reasonably comfortable. My budget is from small to nonexistent, but I'm saving and doing one thing at a time as the budget permits. If I can't afford it, I refuse to cheap out, I'll just wait longer. In the meantime I'm enjoying my car immensely even in stock guise. So, if you can give me your suggestions, I'll definitely consider used as well as long as it's in good shape, I'd gladly appreciate any input. Also, if you could add approx. prices and where I could find the products you're suggesting.

Thanks in advance,
I'm looking forward to hearing your advice/suggestions.

John

slimjim
05-19-2009, 12:23 AM
naaaawwz

e30_kid89
05-19-2009, 12:28 AM
^^^Where the hell have you been dude?? Getting high??:D hows your e30?

Any who, if you want bang-for-buck-peformance..

Tires/Rims = 14" weaves with Falken Rt-615s
Suspension = new OE bushings all around with IE stg3 springs and bilstein sports
Drivetrain = m50 vanos swap W/chip, ebay headers
Interior/Exterior = Stock sport seats, you did say this was a DD right? Delete spare, try to go as light as you can

craz azn
05-19-2009, 01:34 AM
^^^Where the hell have you been dude?? Getting high??:D hows your e30?

Any who, if you want bang-for-buck-peformance..

Tires/Rims = 14" weaves with Falken Rt-615s
Suspension = new OE bushings all around with IE stg3 springs and bilstein sports
Drivetrain = m50 vanos swap W/chip, ebay headers
Interior/Exterior = Stock sport seats, you did say this was a DD right? Delete spare, try to go as light as you can

I agree with everything here^^ Just add in some decent brake pads + fluid and you're set.

The only thing I might suggest different is just get a chip for the ol' m20 motor and call it even. I've made some much more superior cars look silly when I used to run with my stock M20 at the track, its more than enough to use and hone out your driving skills more. To me, driver aka seat time is the best upgrades you can do.

John, do you have a LSD in your car?

richie_s999
05-19-2009, 12:19 PM
I have cruised with John, he has had seat time LOL, next cruise I go on with him I am following him to pick up driving technic!!!!!

FuryriderX
05-19-2009, 02:01 PM
yea i'd definitely say do the suspension up before you touch the engine.

my rabbit has 53hp but with a stiff suspension and good tires its still loads of fun to drive.

dble Trouble
05-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Yup to the LSD. One of the most important features of the car imo.

Thanks Rich.........*wave*

Tires wise, I have bbs 15" that I thought I would get Toyo RA1's but someone suggested I look at Nitto's equivalent, any thoughts? I heard they're just as good but cheaper? Is that true?

Engine, I like the idea of the s50 but thought the s52 would be better because of the enormous torque advantage, especially going up the back straight of mosport. However that probably won't happen until next year. In the meantime, I was thinking of the Mark D chip but after seeing it in another members car and how he pulled on me ever so slightly, I've got to say I was really disappointed in it's performance?? Can anyone enlighten me on this??

dble Trouble
05-20-2009, 08:25 PM
I forgot to ask, What are IE stg 3 springs???? What would, or should a set of bilstein sports set me back?? Or, does anyone have any for sale used at a reasonable price in good shape?

Bullet Ride
05-20-2009, 09:41 PM
have you considered boost at all?
although since you need the car as your DD installing a turbo system is kind of out of the question.

FuryriderX
05-20-2009, 09:46 PM
^^ what this guy said

IE = ireland engineering. bilsteins will probably cost you $600+tax for the set.

craz azn
05-20-2009, 11:04 PM
John, talk to me this Sunday at the AutoX. I'll fill you in on all that stuff. I had pretty much the exact setup that E30_Kid89 posted back in '07.

dble Trouble
05-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Great, looking forward to it Craz! Are you participating or spectating?

Ktt88
05-30-2009, 10:53 AM
I took a look at bilsteins website....its pretty bad. Anyone know where you can get some bilstein shocks locally near markham?

dble Trouble
05-31-2009, 01:25 PM
^^ ditto............

Also, does anyone know where I could get a price for Ie 3 springs?

Brake pads and rotors, where is the best deal and which is the best quality?

msinger
05-31-2009, 02:53 PM
I got my billy sports on ebay for $450 shipped in the winter, didnt even end up paying duty. they make an unbelievable difference. I think the sellers name was thepartsladi or something like that

5thseries
05-31-2009, 05:07 PM
spinners and neons

dble Trouble
05-31-2009, 10:52 PM
I'll get right on the spinners and neons.......................*uzi*

craz azn
05-31-2009, 11:54 PM
LOL. Hey John, I'll have to see what I got the IEs for back in '07, possibly I can get another set... remind me again towards the end of the week.

dble Trouble
06-01-2009, 12:04 AM
^^ no problem craz. On another note, I got a complete exhaust off of ceeker today, in great shape of a 325is he's parting. Call off the search on that one. I still need 15" r comps for friday.

Any idea what you'd recommend for a slightly hotter brake pad that still good on the street that doesn't tear apart rotors? how much and where? also rotors, and brake fluid with a super high boiling point?

craz azn
06-01-2009, 12:11 AM
I use PBR Ceramics on track, they are nice, don't fade unless you really abuse the crap out of them. I just use BMW brake fluid, I used to use the Ford brake fluid at crappy tire since it had a high boiling point, but it was discontinued, so now I use the BMW stuff since I got it for free :D. Blank rotors are fine too. I can probably get you the discs and pads if you need them. Give me a call sometime tomorrow if you want that stuff for Friday.

SamE30e
06-01-2009, 02:25 AM
My PBR ceramics haven't let me down.

dble Trouble
06-01-2009, 09:53 AM
I used to use pbr metalmasters on a golf I had years ago and that was a great combination for street/track use. Are the ceramics any good on the street or would I be swapping pads in and out every event?

Too funny, I used to use the ford brake fluid too. For some reason they had the best fluid a few years ago and super cheap too. When crappy stopped carrying it I bought it right from a Ford dealership, but then they must have changed supplier or something 'cause it went to crap.