PDA

View Full Version : Painting 'n Tucking the DB

eta Epsilon
05-17-2009, 08:08 PM
So I decided to remove the front bumper today.

The bolts were seized and I bust my only 19mm socket working on it...
A trip to Canadian Tire later, I was able to remove them with my brand new impact-grade socket and my brand new 17" flex handle. *th-up*

The next problem was the blinkers. The previous owner broke them and has been a bit creative...after an hour off trying and swearing, I've decided to cut the wires. I'll splice them later...

Then it was the impact strips that made me go crazy. I want to paint them and I figured it would be easier to do with them off the bumper. 1 bolt per strip is striped. Well I think the bolt's part that is in the strip is stripped. The nut and the bolt turn together...Anyways

Here is the bumper in my shed. I sanded it and I will prime it tomorrow.

I also tried to remove the black plastic pieces that are between the bumper and the grill. Another surprise...Who would have tougth 23yo screws would be so rusted you can't do anything with them... I guess I'll leave them there.
It won't help me with the painting I have to do just above it...

Maybe I should have read the smallprints at the bottom of the contract...:D

I also started to do some painting on the car...

Cheers!

Wannabe
05-17-2009, 08:36 PM
How are you tucking? as far as I know, my bumper shocks were just drilled, therefore releasing the pressure

eta Epsilon
05-17-2009, 09:44 PM
I got a freeby.
One of the shock was empty and already tuckable.
For the other one, I left it on the car and used a margarine cover as a shield. I drilled a hole in the cover and I drilled the shock that way.

There was almost no oil in it. It just did a big psssiiiittt.
I used wd-40 on it and I will try to tuck it with a hammer.
If it does not work, I will remove the shock from the car and I will use a C-clam to compress it.

Cheers

iignite
05-18-2009, 05:32 AM
ive heard you can slowly drive into a wall

eta Epsilon
05-18-2009, 08:12 AM
You could, but I wanted to paint the bumpers also.
Ans if it's worth be done, it's worth over-doing!

eta Epsilon
05-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Since I'm already painting the DB, do you guys think I should paint the complete front end?

A bit like this guy did, but I would paint it Delphin.

What you think?

Wannabe
05-20-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't mind that...delpin is the light blue/green colour right? I don't know if it would look as good as that, are you painting it yourself? I like the black surrounds, just because thats me!

5thseries
05-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Amazing job, but have you thought of getting the plastic bumpers??

Wannabe
05-20-2009, 08:28 PM
5th series, thats not his white car

5thseries
05-20-2009, 08:33 PM
^ Oh my bad..

eta Epsilon
05-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Finally, I've decided to leave the colors as they are...
Less problems.
I may change my mind later :-)