PDA

View Full Version : Aux fan removal

Duct_Taper
05-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows... is it possible to pull the aux fan without taking out the rad and the condenser?

I'm thinking if I pull the grills there might be enough room to undo it and slide it out the front. Hopefully without removing the bumper/valence, because my bumper bolts are completely seized.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
-Paul

Ceeker
05-12-2009, 11:07 PM
if you have the metal frame fan you'll have to undo the 3 nuts holding it to the condenser.
Then you'll have to pry the tabs away from the bolts which are attached to the fan frame. if I recall, I pulled it out from underneath. and installed it the same way. Plastic belly pan has to come off. I did it on my 318is but mine didn't have the oil cooler. I believe this might be in the way so you may have to remove it or take it to the side. There may be a reinforcement bar running along top of the cooler. But think it may slide past it. There really isn't much room to go from top. I tried it on my 87 and it got jammed. I also tried going from the top on my 318is and didn't bode well. There are two styles you can use. The plastic housing one and the metal one. The metal is practically indestructible. Hope this helps.

Duct_Taper
05-12-2009, 11:27 PM
No oil cooler on my car, so no problems there. Which belly pan are you talking about? The one between the rad support and the bumper/valence? I'm not sure how to take that one off.

Ceeker
05-13-2009, 07:06 AM
yeah the plastic shield from the valance to the wheels. 4 plastic nuts; 1 behind each wheel and one underneath the same nut on the frame. can't miss them. you also have to unbolt it from the brake duct panel facing the front of the car inside the wheel well I believe. should drop down with a little giggle. you will have to finesse "everything" to get the fan to come out.

everlast
05-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Wow, that would be a tight fit.. I have a spare aux fan for sale if you need one, duct.

Duct_Taper
05-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Yeah, pretty sure I need one. Gotta pull the one I have and see if I can figure out why it makes noise and vibrates intermittently... but I don't really want to pull the rad and condenser (don't want to open up the A/C system and don't want to have to drain/fill/bleed the coolant again).

Ceeker
05-13-2009, 12:57 PM
the rattle comes from the magnets coming loose from the internals of the fan. Once that happens the fan becomes in operable. the fan blade may be hitting up against something. Highly unlikely but possible. As I said, in your 318i it's highly unlikely you'll have to pull any rads or a/c components or body work. I got mine out from below and slipped the new one in the same way. But it was a fight, for sure.

T.Dot_E30
05-13-2009, 01:00 PM
I heard if you cut it up and hack it to pieces you dont need to remove anything to get it out.

My plan was to do that and then install a generic pusher fan in front.

Duct_Taper
05-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Figured out the problem. The threads for the nut holding the fan blades on were _just_ touching the back of the valence. I just pried the valence forward about 1mm and now it clears and doesn't make the noise anymore.

Also discovered that the front of my rad is really gunked up, so I'm pulling that tonight to power-wash it.

Ceeker
05-16-2009, 09:01 PM
You heard wrong; you can't get in there to cut it up in pieces. Fan is plastic but the surround that holds it is thick metal. Tell me when you figure out how to do that. :-)
I just pulled the old one out of my 325is. Through the bottom. all models. since we're on the topic. The plug needs to be disconnected and removed from the wire loom holding it and pulled through before trying to pull it down. Otherwise the wiring won't let you.

Some models had the upgrade fan put in. Old school is 5 blade metal frame. Newer ones were plastic multi blade with plastic surround. Much lighter but not as durable.

I think the newer model is where you got the idea of cutting into pieces came from.

T.Dot_E30
05-16-2009, 09:40 PM
You heard wrong.

I think the newer model is where you got the idea of cutting into pieces came from.

Mine is a late model I believe, I will be hacking it up and putting in a 14'' replacement. I will take picutres for you.

T.Dot_E30
05-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Removed my Aux fan, installed some random Audi fan my uncle had in his parts bin. We'll see how it works, i was planning to buy a 14'' aftermarket fan, but free is always good.

Excuse the shitty iPhone pics, my hands were dirty.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/1896/img0109x.jpg
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/6152/img0106mkc.jpg
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/223/img0107jtk.jpg
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1424/img0108.jpg