PDA

View Full Version : M42 stroker build project

richie_s999
05-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Whats up fellow E30 fans

I present my main project for the next few months.

I have a 1991 318is, which has 330000km (know speedo was dead when I got the car). Its time for a fresh motor. I toyed with putting in a 6cy(have an m20 with 203000km in my garage) but I have decided after lots of research to go with a stroker build on the M42.

I have already swapped the 4.10 open diff for a 4.27lsd. With this gear change I can pull away and out pace a stock 328is. This really was the deciding point of going with the stroker build.

Now this is whats planned for next few months of the motor build, lets call it stage one, because I use the car as a DD, and want to see how specific stages of the build affect the motor.

STAGE ONE

I have a M42 with 190000km on the stand right now, and just picked up an M44 with 190000km (yes weird they both have the same milage, and thanks again Rudy for calling me when you found this motor!!!)

so with both motors I have the lower end parts I need for the build. I will be using the crank and rods from the M44 and swapping them into the M42. This will give me a 1.92L motor and lighten the rotational mass by 3lbs.

I will be also putting on a single mass flywheel from an M20, which will knock off another 14lbs of mass, so with a total of 17lbs off there should be a good transfer of power to the rear end. I have also deleted the A/C and installed a manual 316 rack, and will put and electric fan kit in so only the water pump and altenator will be on the pullies.

I will be keeping the head stock for right now, but a plus with the M42 cam's is they are adjustable +/-6degrees. from what I read so far the best setup is to leave the ehaust at 0degree's and go postive(advance) 5 degree's on the intake. But with the stroker it may be played with a bit. Will also be building a good cold air intake and boring out the secondary throttle plate 3mm for better flow.

The only other plan is for a good tuner chip, and possiblely getting someone like Mark D to tune this setup on a dyno.

So what are the goals....well the chip alone is 10hp, and with out the stroker.
I have found that the mods I am planning with out stroking take the motor to the mid 160hp range at the flywheel, which would be around mid140hp at the wheels. With the bottom end lightened up and stroked, I am hoping to hit 180 at the fly wheel and 170ph at the wheels. This is with a increase red line as well, should be able to bump the limiter up to 7500rpm safely.

SamE30e
05-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I toyed with the idea when I had my M42, I figured the cost to gain ratio wasn't good enough. Which is why I went with the M50. Also with the cost of a custom chip, it really doesn't help, a dyno tune from Mark D with the cost of dyno time would be more then 500$, you can get a M50 for less then that.

To see any real gains from the setup you should consider megasquirt. I'd say piggyback like a E-Manage but you need to extensively modify the ECU and the Mosfets inside of it.

I know you like your 4 cylinder which is probably why you're doing it, it will be interesting for sure. If you need an extra M42 bottom end, I have one in my garage with cross hatching on it still.

T.Dot_E30
05-11-2009, 04:06 PM
With this gear change I can pull away and out pace a stock 328is. This really was the deciding point of going with the stroker build.

I thnk you really need to investigate this deciding point better before you invest alot of money into a stroker build.

What do you mean by outpace a 328is? maybe you were just a better driver or they weren't trying as hard as you? That doesn't mean your 318 is faster than a stock 328is.

I think you should do this as you have all the parts......but don't do this for the wrong reasons, thinking your 318 is faster than a 328is.

Did Rudy give you a ride yet? better yet...try to keep up with rudy around mosport one day.

richie_s999
05-11-2009, 04:06 PM
cost so far is $0 well kinda, i parted out a 318, got the M42 from it, m20 flywheel and starter parts from another car I parted out, M44 complete motor was $500, but will part out the rest of that motor and should recover mosta the money. I parted out 5 cars in 2 months, and spent part of the money on the m44 and rear diff, only 2 things I have had to buy, and will recoup the money for those. All I need is a throw out bearing. Which i am getting a price on this week.

Tunning will come last, I am playing with a few options on that I am looking at mega squirt, but there are many options....first things first is building the block and getting the motor in the car.

richie_s999
05-11-2009, 04:08 PM
I thnk you really need to investigate this deciding point better before you invest alot of money into a stroker build.

What do you mean by outpace a 328is? maybe you were just a better driver or they weren't trying as hard as you? That doesn't mean your 318 is faster than a stock 328is.

I think you should do this as you have all the parts......but don't do this for the wrong reasons, thinking your 318 is faster than a 328is.

Did Rudy give you a ride yet? better yet...try to keep up with rudy around mosport one day.

ON the max spring cruise I had the 4.27 swapped in and red rocket was behind me for the morning, everything we took off he said I was pulling away from him....the gearing change has mad alot of difference

T.Dot_E30
05-11-2009, 04:17 PM
ON the max spring cruise I had the 4.27 swapped in and red rocket was behind me for the morning, everything we took off he said I was pulling away from him....the gearing change has mad alot of difference

Thats still not a proper race to use as a comparison, line up two cars with equal drivers, then make your decision.

E30M42cab
05-11-2009, 06:14 PM
This seems far fetched. I like your idea and everything, but I think you're expecting way too much bang. The difference between my 318i cabrio with a 4.27 diff and my 318is with a 4.10 diff is minimal at best. The cabrio is barely faster than the coupe. Faster than a 328is is a dream. My 525i blows my E30's away easily. I know we could bicker about this for hours, so lets not, and just say that I'm very curious to see what you can do with the little M42. Hope you get what you think you're going to get. Keep a list of parts!

e30_kid89
05-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Since you really have love for the m42, I would rather see you get a MM 2.1L "crate" motor in there..THAT would make for a fun m42.

Either way, It will be nice to see what you do with the m44/m42 combo.

richie_s999
05-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Since you really have love for the m42, I would rather see you get a MM 2.1L "crate" motor in there..THAT would make for a fun m42.

Either way, It will be nice to see what you do with the m44/m42 combo.

crate motors are expensive as hell....and then your just swapping a motor, I want to build the motor in stages, and see what each stage gets the motor to put out.

richie_s999
05-11-2009, 07:29 PM
This seems far fetched. I like your idea and everything, but I think you're expecting way too much bang. The difference between my 318i cabrio with a 4.27 diff and my 318is with a 4.10 diff is minimal at best. The cabrio is barely faster than the coupe. Faster than a 328is is a dream. My 525i blows my E30's away easily. I know we could bicker about this for hours, so lets not, and just say that I'm very curious to see what you can do with the little M42. Hope you get what you think you're going to get. Keep a list of parts!

the 318is curb weight was 2602, the vert was 2867(325is was 2865) for the 1991 models

thats the difference between the the 4.27 in a coupe and vert, 260lbs is a big difference,

my car is at about 2450lbs right now, and planning on dropping at least another 100lbs.

compaired to the 325is the difference is 400lbs!!!

most people do not think of weight and balance when building a car, these will be major factors in how I am building. The 318is is the closest you can get to 50/50 weight next to the m3.

Bullet Ride
05-11-2009, 08:08 PM
I am hoping to hit 180 at the fly wheel and 170ph at the wheels.

Only 10hp lost through the drivetrain?

adam325i
05-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Very intresting, keep us updated with your progress, with pic!

Balatch
05-11-2009, 11:18 PM
You guys are haters, he wants to BUILD a motor, not "buy another car" or "it'll be slow" or "my cars faster"... maybe his goals are optimistic, who knows, let the man give this a shot. I like the idea behind it, but probably because im more accustomed to high revving 4 cylinders...

Best of luck man, I will stay tuned... my guess is 159 at the wheels...lol

344i
05-12-2009, 12:43 AM
The m42 is not as slow as everyone makes it out to be. It has a good punch in higher rpms, and with the proper driver, is not much slower then i6 bmws. If a e36 m3 can pull 2-4 car lenghts, if even, on a e36 318, then, the 318 is already faster then a huge slew of other brand cars.

I am looking forward to seeing your builds, as they may inspire me to build up my motors.

SamE30e
05-12-2009, 02:40 AM
[QUOTE=344i;1301029]The m42 is not as slow as everyone makes it out to be. [QUOTE]

Yes it is... My ETA would have beat my 318is. And my ETA was a pile.

It's not slow, but it's not quick.

T.Dot_E30
05-12-2009, 09:21 AM
If a e36 m3 can pull 2-4 car lenghts, if even, on a e36 318, then, the 318 is already faster then a huge slew of other brand cars.

Man, i'd really like to see these races you guys talk about.

344i
05-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Man, i'd really like to see these races you guys talk about.

I guess most of the "races" i had were with kids who have no idea how to shift then, since I have absolutely no problems keeping up in a 318IS.

richie_s999
05-12-2009, 12:28 PM
OK back to bussiness....

here are the pics of my 2 spare motors. will be breaking down the M44 and keeping the crank, rods, and pistons. Anyone who needs parts from this motor please pm me about them, other then the parts I am using the rest is up for grabs.

Almost have the garage cleaned up, which took most of the morning up, should get at the first motor tomorrow morning for a few hours.

E30M42cab
05-12-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm staying tuned. Curious to know if you had considered puting the 1.9L M44 in and using the newer serpentine pullys to run a Downing Atlanta S/C on it. I know it blows the budget, but it's something I had considered for a while. What are your thoughts?

SamE30e
05-12-2009, 12:34 PM
No replacement for displacement.

And Scott, get the downing kit, we'll make it fit. You probably just need to switch to a serpentine setup, which is a joke lol.

richie_s999
05-12-2009, 02:52 PM
I have been thinking of a super charger but if i can hit the 180 mark without it i then have the option of going 200 plus with one afterwords

e30_kid89
05-12-2009, 06:46 PM
The DASC kits are discontinued....

SamE30e
05-13-2009, 12:23 AM
I have been thinking of a super charger but if i can hit the 180 mark without it i then have the option of going 200 plus with one afterwords

I will personally give you a rim job if you can break 180hp on stock engine management, or stand alone for that matter.

richie_s999
05-13-2009, 01:03 AM
I will personally give you a rim job if you can break 180hp on stock engine management, or stand alone for that matter.

Just the thought of this...well scares me and makes me think about selling the car LOL;)

richie_s999
05-13-2009, 10:16 AM
got woken up early by the dog this morning( she wanted water) so spent an hour on the M44 tearing it down, got it down to the block and head, only had a problem with 2 exhaust studs, which snapped but thats an easy fix on that head.

here are some picks of what came off this morning and what the cam set up looks like in an M44 for those who haven't seen one b4....love the roller rockers and adjustable timming gears.

This motor is very clean, I amost feel bad for ripping into it for a few parts... but gotta do it.

The exhaust header caught my attention, in comparison to the M42 header, almost looks like a "LONG TUBE" version, will have to get my spare m42 header out the loft and compare.

hoping to have the head off of the m44 tomorrow, but have run into an exhaust problem on my car....anyone have a rear pipe section for a 318 with the flange?

craz azn
05-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Rich, I did some poking around M42Club... emm some of what you mentioned earlier doesn't add up. What was the displacement you were thinking to get again? I crunched a few numbers and some of it didn't add up?

richie_s999
05-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Rich, I did some poking around M42Club... emm some of what you mentioned earlier doesn't add up. What was the displacement you were thinking to get again? I crunched a few numbers and some of it didn't add up?

m42 Bore is 84, stroke is 81

m44 Bore is 85, stroke is 83.5

I beleive with the m44 crank rods and pistons it should come out to 1.917(think I said 1920 on the phone)

here are the m44 piston spec for you, thanks for helping me with this Rudy!!!

BMe30
05-14-2009, 06:09 PM
i'm building a N/A m42/44 as well although rich and i are going about it a little different

i'm going with the m44 bottom end with the m42 top end and m42 intake manifold.
i'm converting to obd2 and getting some goodies from MM

some tuning and i think i should be in the 160-170hp at the crank

rich.. to answer your question from the m42club thread.. i'll see if i can make it :) she sounds great at 7k

bmwm5lover
05-14-2009, 07:40 PM
wow, so much work for so little power.
I don't know how this makes sense to you people.
I would just drop in an M30, throw the e30 on a diet, and be playing with e36 M3's all day long, for a few hunded dollars.

BMe30
05-14-2009, 08:45 PM
wow, so much work for so little power.
I don't know how this makes sense to you people.
I would just drop in an M30, throw the e30 on a diet, and be playing with e36 M3's all day long, for a few hunded dollars.

m30 specs look pretty sweet but a couple reasons why i am building the little 4cyl over a 6cyl

maintains the balance of the car without having to deal with stiffer spring rates in the front that would mean even stiffer rates in the rear just to counter balance the added weight of a bigger engine. mind you if all you want is striaght out power for a straight line then yeah why not. but for those who still want to maintain great cornering without the added weight in the front this is our solution.. other than FI of course.

another reason why i wouldn't put in a bigger 6 is plain ol tq. yeah its great and Sam you're right there is no replacement for displacement. but with a car as light as ours with that amount of tq to the rear, the added weight in the front making the rounds in an autox course or some tight curvy road courses you'll find that the rear may lead you to either take the corner slower or you'll end up drifting the corner (unless you're into drifting *rockout* ) of course on the straights the power will be a great asset. but i'm in it for over all driveability.

one last thing... the m42/44 has a 76.11hp per L
... the m30 3.5L that produces the most hp and tq has 54.44hp per L
... the m30 3.0L produces 46.66hp per L

the m42/44 is a much more effcient engine for hp. obviously the tq of the 1.8/9 will never compare to the m30 or any other 6cyl.

and besides.. i like the sound of a high rev scream of a 4cyl :) and at the end of the day.... to each their own *th-up*

you may pass me on the straights... but i'll take you in the corners :cool:

richie_s999
05-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Very well said

e30_kid89
05-14-2009, 09:51 PM
m30 specs look pretty sweet but a couple reasons why i am building the little 4cyl over a 6cyl

maintains the balance of the car without having to deal with stiffer spring rates in the front that would mean even stiffer rates in the rear just to counter balance the added weight of a bigger engine. mind you if all you want is striaght out power for a straight line then yeah why not. but for those who still want to maintain great cornering without the added weight in the front this is our solution.. other than FI of course.

another reason why i wouldn't put in a bigger 6 is plain ol tq. yeah its great and Sam you're right there is no replacement for displacement. but with a car as light as ours with that amount of tq to the rear, the added weight in the front making the rounds in an autox course or some tight curvy road courses you'll find that the rear may lead you to either take the corner slower or you'll end up drifting the corner (unless you're into drifting *rockout* ) of course on the straights the power will be a great asset. but i'm in it for over all driveability.

the m42/44 is a much more effcient engine for hp. obviously the tq of the 1.8/9 will never compare to the m30 or any other 6cyl.

and besides.. i like the sound of a high rev scream of a 4cyl :) and at the end of the day.... to each their own *th-up*

Hmmmm.....Can't wait to see both these "strokers' finished...It will make for some great "science experiments"*wave*

Good luck to both you guys!

craz azn
05-14-2009, 11:02 PM
m42 Bore is 84, stroke is 81

m44 Bore is 85, stroke is 83.5

I beleive with the m44 crank rods and pistons it should come out to 1.917(think I said 1920 on the phone)

here are the m44 piston spec for you, thanks for helping me with this Rudy!!!

Oh coolio, I thought you had said it was like 1.95 or something... yea 1.917 or so sounds right. Good stuff. I'd still try to hold out and wait until a set of S5x pistons become available. The only other thing I am still skeptical on is the RPM limit. I would make it more conservative at 7200~rpm.... I've seen some talk on m42club about VW lifters or something? But man, still its hydraulic.... heavy suckers compared to a solid setup.... I think thats the only thing that would hold you back... I guess you run it higher, but I'm more into prolonging lifespan :P

SamE30e
05-14-2009, 11:44 PM

You are aware that the Dinan chip for the M30 is like +40hp right? The M30 doesn't weigh that much more then a M20, not enough that you would notice it very much around a track.

And we already went over this with Richie, the difference in power and weight between the M42, M20, M30 and M50 isn't even that noticeable in a corner. Even if the ability to corner better was the case, the 6 cylinder car would already have pulled enough on the straight that you would never make it up in a corner with the M42.

Hmmmm.....Can't wait to see both these "strokers' finished...It will make for some great "science experiments"*wave*

Good luck to both you guys!

Ditto. I'll run my M50 against a stock M42 and then against one of the "Strokers".

craz azn
05-15-2009, 12:05 AM
You are aware that the Dinan chip for the M30 is like +40hp right? The M30 doesn't weigh that much more then a M20, not enough that you would notice it very much around a track.

And we already went over this with Richie, the difference in power and weight between the M42, M20, M30 and M50 isn't even that noticeable in a corner. Even if the ability to corner better was the case, the 6 cylinder car would already have pulled enough on the straight that you would never make it up in a corner with the M42.

Ditto. I'll run my M50 against a stock M42 and then against one of the "Strokers".

I kinda agree both ways on the weight issue... Problem is, the tracks that we have around here are not complex enough to give a 4 cyl e30 that much more of a handling advantage over the slightly heavy 6 cyl e30 track cars. Smaller tracks with not many straights and lots of switchbacks is where a 4 cyl e30 could shine... but where is that? Like really??

However, in regards to that chip... Hell no a Dinan will produce 40hp more than stock. **** that. Plus, Dinan chips are shit anyways. Conforti or MarkD chips are way better.

SamE30e
05-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Dinan claims like 43hp 36ftlbs or something.

http://www.dinancars.com/store/product.php?productid=1494&cat=426&page=1

Even on Dunville a M42 wouldn't be superior. The m42 cars weigh maybe like 100lbs less. I dunno, it's just not worth it to claim it can handle better when it's that suttle.

craz azn
05-15-2009, 12:31 AM
LOL 43hp my ass. Dinan has always been full of shit since day 1.... I remember back in the day when they used to offer upgrades (like on the m20 specifically for example) like intake manifolds that gained like 20+ some-odd hp.... like wtf? I'm pretty sure BMW engineers weren't asleep when they made this shit back in the '80s lol. I remember adding it up once that just the bolt on upgrades offered for the 325i would net an end result of 210~220 hp... ON A 2.5? LOL dream on....

SamE30e
05-15-2009, 12:36 AM
Makes sense. But still, it would probably put down close to half of that.

BMe30
05-15-2009, 04:51 AM
my build is far from a "stroker" really i'm using a m44,

getting it rebuilt port match, trip angle valves,

MM sport intake cam
MM 11.0:1 pistons
MM rings, main, rod bearings
pulse intake (i'll fab my own)
going to go obd2

i figure all this and some good tuning should make for a decent gain and challenge..

richie_s999
05-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Oh coolio, I thought you had said it was like 1.95 or something... yea 1.917 or so sounds right. Good stuff. I'd still try to hold out and wait until a set of S5x pistons become available. The only other thing I am still skeptical on is the RPM limit. I would make it more conservative at 7200~rpm.... I've seen some talk on m42club about VW lifters or something? But man, still its hydraulic.... heavy suckers compared to a solid setup.... I think thats the only thing that would hold you back... I guess you run it higher, but I'm more into prolonging lifespan :P

been looking into what to do with the head...think I am going to keep the one thats in the car now and build it up over the winter, lots of options with the head, thats where the majic happens!!!!

and Sam...the 318is is about more the 100lbs lighter then the 325is, its more like 250lbs...

Can we stop the my cars gonna be better then your's stuff in this thread....

Strait up when we all build our cars the same its boring as ****.

Each one of use should be documenting what we have learned in building our cars and providing that info so people can make informed decicision's on how they would like to build theirs. There is more then one way to build a car, and we all have slightly different tastes, time and budgets. I respect others who have taken the time to show what was involved in their builds and projects, it has helped me decide which way to go with my skill level of building a car.

Most people swap in a bigger motor because they don't have the time or paitents to build up a motor...which is fine, thats how they want to build their cars, but stop pissing on people for not doing what you feel is best.

here is the s50 numbers....M50B25 2.5 L (2494 cc/152 in³) 141 kW (189 hp) @ 5900

thats really not that much power....for all the work might as well have tossed a m20 in with a mild cam for that power.

So once the stroker cars are done it will be interesting to see how they match up to the common s50 swap.

e30_kid89
05-15-2009, 09:18 AM
my build is far from a "stroker" really i'm using a m44,

getting it rebuilt port match, trip angle valves,

MM sport intake cam
MM 11.0:1 pistons
MM rings, main, rod bearings
pulse intake (i'll fab my own)
going to go obd2

i figure all this and some good tuning should make for a decent gain and challenge..

Curious, why go OBD2?

richie_s999
05-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Curious, why go OBD2?

Think he was going that way to lose the AFM and do MAF. I might be doing the same, but that will be down the road.

e30_kid89
05-15-2009, 10:44 AM
not worth it, IMO because now going obd2 you have to deal with EWS, the air pumps, dual o2 sensors....

If you guys are serious about making good power with the m42 ditch motronic and go standalone. You can even be like a s14 and run the m42 in alpha-N configuration and squeeze every last pony out of your motors with a mint tune.

You won't have a maf or AFM...just air :)

T.Dot_E30
05-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Enough talk, i wanna see Rich build his motor and get the car on the road.

May not be what many of us would do, but he has his reasons and the parts to do it. If he is experimenting and wants to try it, then i'm all for it.

Afterwords maybe he can run a 325is to see how it matches up, if it can't beat a 325is....then he'll realize what we are all saying.....that maybe it wasn't worth all that work, then again maybe it will be to him.

richie_s999
05-15-2009, 11:56 AM
so slept in this morning and relaxed a bit, hell it is the long weekend!! I did manage to do one thing...I installed the m44 intake boot in the m42, put the filter in a better spot for cooler air, and seems to be a bit smoother of a bend. Not like its gonna make the car a rocket, but every little thing adds up. here is the pics

bmwm5lover
05-15-2009, 12:46 PM
I disagree on the whole M30 thing, but like Trev said, lets see what you come up with. Personally, I would take the guaranteed route to power.
On another note, you need a heat shield.

BMe30
05-15-2009, 01:39 PM
not worth it, IMO because now going obd2 you have to deal with EWS, the air pumps, dual o2 sensors....

If you guys are serious about making good power with the m42 ditch motronic and go standalone. You can even be like a s14 and run the m42 in alpha-N configuration and squeeze every last pony out of your motors with a mint tune.

You won't have a maf or AFM...just air :)

with ob2 i believe that there is some software out there that can tune the stock dme... like hpt for gm. i could go stand alone.. but to find a good one on a budget that tough. i still have ways to go before my build is complete. i'm buying the parts over the winter months and hoping for the complete build and install in the spring. if i were to go stand alone i may lean towards SDS (simple digital systems) its pretty good for N/A small motors

when rich's car and my car is complete and all the bugs ironed out. i'm up for a track day for shits and giggles

hey rich i hope you don't mind that i jacked your thread.

e30_kid89
05-15-2009, 01:57 PM
when rich's car and my car is complete and all the bugs ironed out. i'm up for a track day for shits and giggles.

Excellent! I'd be down to attend that track day.

As for standalones, have you considered Megasquirt? Best bang for buck ECU out there next to VEMS.

SamE30e
05-15-2009, 01:58 PM
with ob2 i believe that there is some software out there that can tune the stock dme... like hpt for gm. i could go stand alone.. but to find a good one on a budget that tough. i still have ways to go before my build is complete. i'm buying the parts over the winter months and hoping for the complete build and install in the spring. if i were to go stand alone i may lean towards SDS (simple digital systems) its pretty good for N/A small motors

when rich's car and my car is complete and all the bugs ironed out. i'm up for a track day for shits and giggles

hey rich i hope you don't mind that i jacked your thread.

Megasquirt you can do for under 700$ easily. Hell people make plug and play ones for motronic, so all you basically have to do is put in a map sensor and wideband.

And Rich, it's M50 not S50, S50 make 240hp. And the M50 is a reliable 190hp stock which is why people do it.

I'm not ragging on the m44/2 build I'm just saying that we discussed the 318 vs 325 before and the 325 would probably come out on top. But who knows. I'm interested to see it.

BMe30
05-15-2009, 02:03 PM
i've been hearing a lot about MS.. TBH i haven't looked deep into MS yet. now i will. I guess i can get that if the price is right and play with my stock m42 to get a feel for MS before the built motor goes in.

you know... i'm interested to see what happens as well :)

E30M42cab
05-19-2009, 06:31 PM
I like the tail light bracket holding up your MAF:)

richie_s999
05-19-2009, 06:42 PM
I like the tail light bracket holding up your MAF:)

OEM all the way :) now that i know where it is going to sit i can work on a cold air duct and box set up for it

richie_s999
05-26-2009, 01:31 PM
build update

Both motors are broken down, instead of machining and balancing I am going to use the block from the m44 and swap the m42 head and oil pan onto it. This will save alot of work, and money on the build. I have to take the 2 blocks up to Rudy's to get the harmonic balances removed (my air gun won't break the bolt) so I can change the front timing chain cover. The M42's crank senor is on the cover where the m44's is in the block. I have heard I can use the one in the block, but I am swapping the balancers anyways to keep the v-belt(I only use one v-belt for the water pump and altenator).

So I guess its almost time to start putting things back together.

e30_kid89
05-26-2009, 01:48 PM
What pistons are you using again? s50?

richie_s999
05-26-2009, 02:32 PM
What pistons are you using again? s50?

using the 85mm stock pistons from the m44(m42 are 84mm), couldn't find a reasonable priced set of 86mm pistons.

so 1mm increase in piston bore, and 2mm increase in stroke

m42 block - 1796cc
m44 block - 1896cc

not a huge jump but will make a difference. going to the 86mm pistons would have been around 1920cc

hopefully after the wedding next summer I can spend a bit more cash and build a block aith a m47 crank and 86mm pistons :)

e30_kid89
05-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Woulda been cool to see ya use the s50 pistons but heh its all good...

What's the completion on the build looking like?

If you want to save the trip to Rudys' what you can try do is stick a 2x4 or something in the block on top of a piston, put on a cyl head you don't really care about, then use a 3/4in breaker bar plus the longest cheater bar you can find and go to work.

richie_s999
05-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Woulda been cool to see ya use the s50 pistons but heh its all good...

What's the completion on the build looking like?

If you want to save the trip to Rudys' what you can try do is stick a 2x4 or something in the block on top of a piston, put on a cyl head you don't really care about, then use a 3/4in breaker bar plus the longest cheater bar you can find and go to work.

Rudy's place is a short drive for me, I am in north Oshawa, so its not far, plus I don't have a gear puller so toss both blocks in the truck and its done. Plus give me an excuse to go drool over the cars up there!!

Things go well should have the motor in end of June!!

BMe30
05-26-2009, 05:03 PM
hey rich.. looks like you are on the same path as i am... why not jsut go 11:1 like i'm planing :)

SamE30e
05-26-2009, 05:49 PM
hey rich.. looks like you are on the same path as i am... why not jsut go 11:1 like i'm planing :)

You mean factory M42 compression?

BMe30
05-26-2009, 06:08 PM
"The principle features of the new engine concept are a very flexible power band and excellent torque in relation to the engine displacement of 1.8 litres. Despite the high compression ratio of 10:1 and a power output of 134 bhp, the M42 is a refined, easy-to-drive unit which is especially compatible with everyday use."

from
http://www.motortraders.net/groups/group.asp?group=1&menu=89

SamE30e
05-26-2009, 06:53 PM
And you're going to boost it at 11:1? Bad news.

BMe30
05-26-2009, 06:55 PM
i decided to go back to a N/A build... more reliable

towfield
06-11-2009, 09:19 PM
very interested in your rebuild how is it coming along. I have a 318i and would like build it into a GRP2 rally car. The displacement is right for GRP2. Perhaps you could show me one day what you have done

richie_s999
06-12-2009, 10:10 AM
build is way behind schedule, to many meets, bbq's and then there is work LOL. Anyway figure its better to take time and do it right. Have a coil on plug ignition and bigger mustang injectors coming the begining of July and still deciding on which clutch kit to use. I really like the ierland m20 cluch set up, and got to order some poly mounts from them anyway(their poly motor mounts are half the price of the m42 rubber stock ones)

BMe30
06-12-2009, 03:41 PM
hey.. you are further than i am lol i still have to get my 1.9 in my garage and on an engine stand :)