PDA

View Full Version : Short shifter 318 -> 325e ?

eta Epsilon
05-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Hi guys,

Can anybody (who knows the answer) can confirm that if a short shifter fits in a 318, it should also fit in my 325e?

It should fit in any e30 right???

Thanks

eta Epsilon
05-04-2009, 12:53 PM
noon bump

InfiniteDice
05-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Some modification may be needed if you are going from an arm type to a tray type shifter. The shifter should fit though.

echo
05-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Depends on the type of shortshifter. If its just the shifter itself with altered fulcrum point (z3 M-coupe or 1.9 shifter for example) then it'll fit any e30. If its one of those kits, I would really need to see how it works before saying.

SamE30e
05-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Yea it will. As long as it uses the thick shift arm and not the other type (they're rare).

95% chance it will work. if you want, take the boot off and the rubber and if they look the same then it's good.

DR.ZED
05-06-2009, 02:47 PM
I have an 85 E30. I bought one of the shifters off Rich (awesome seller) which had the blue aluminum base. Pre mid 1986 the ball type shifter won't accept the newer aluminum base type.

You can tell if you have the old (ball) by seeing if you see a white metal plate under your console, or you have the newer (shifter has own base and ball in it) with just an aluminum arm with a round hole to accept the base.

I liked the newer design but didn't replace the base plate bolted to the transmission so I took apart the shifter and ground down the circular ball receiver about 1/8th of an inch in diameter. I then pounded it down inside the metal shift plate receiver. You will then make sure the angle of the selector rod is the same and then secure the metal base plate to the body of the car. I drilled a hole from undeneith (had the driveshaft out) and put a bolt through.

It sounds complex and it is in some respects considering the easiest way to do this retrofit is with the driveshaft out. I did however make most modifications with the driveshaft in until I wanted to put a bolt through the support plate as I had it drop loose and the shift rod rubbing on the driveshaft. Thus the design change.