PDA

View Full Version : Driving Schools...

mike125k
02-20-2002, 10:08 PM
check out www.trackmasters.com they have driving schools at cayuga during the summer. i plan on going to the one in mid june or july (see my other post about cayuga racetrack). i think driving school will not only help my track driving (which i have no experence at) but also defensive street driving skills too. if you are interested in going to cayuga let me know, im going with a few of my friends.

GR8 Ride
02-20-2002, 11:32 PM
Well, first of all, get the notion of *RACE* out of your mind completely.

If you go, expecting driving schools to turn you into a *racer*, then you'll never learn as much as you'd like to, and never develop into a really fast driver.

The driving school is NOT a race, and the guys tend to take a close look at people who approach it as such.

Now, this doesn't mean some friendly competition doesn't develop, and it doesn't mean that everybody isn't trying to do their best. But's it not a race, and there are some specific rules in place to make sure nothing happens along those lines.

Yes, there is passing. At Cayuga, there are 3 or 4 passing *zones*, depending on the conditions of the day. Long front straight, medium back straight, and there are two internal straights where a max of one car is allowed to pass. You'll see these at the first school.

Secondly, there is no speed limit, beyond that of what (A) your car is capable of and (B) what your instructor *feels* you, the driver, is capable of.

A lot of students come into their first or second driving school, with hopped up cars, expecting to be in the 'A' Group, and expecting to be the fastest on the track. Then they get on the track, bomb into the first corner way too hot, slow down way too much, and then generally start long trains of students in behind them.

Generally, a student's first year of driving schools will see them get from being a 'C' student to a mid-level 'B' student. In their second year, they'll start to graduate into the 'A' group eventually.

The 'A' group does tend to have the fastest cars in it though, so things tend to happen a lot quicker in that group than in the B or C groups.

As to rules, there are plenty, but nothing that can't be easily understood and explained. Basically, safety first, speed second.

Some corners (even at Cayuga) can be hazardous in the wet, so rules can be drafted up to handle that.

Passing is always done one car at a time, always on the right, and only when signalled. Signalling in Canada is done with the right turn signal light, as opposed to the US standard which is left hand out the driver's window and over the roof.

You'll have an instructor in the car with you the whole time, so it's not an open lapping day in which you're on the track solo. Your instructor will point out things to you the whole time; tips to go faster, pointers in how to be smoother etc.

I strongly encourage anyone to do as many driving schools as they can this year. Raven is running a total of 26 days at Cayuga this year, in addition to the four major BMW schools this year (still working on a fifth at Mt. Tremblant).

Pat

mike125k
02-20-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Bad-Karma
Well, first of all, get the notion of *RACE* out of your mind completely.

Pat

i know its not a race. i am doing it for 2 reasons:

1. it'll be alot of fun!
2. i will learn to be a better driver.

i get my racing fix with motocross and snowmobile racing.

GR8 Ride
02-21-2002, 11:04 AM
The potential for you driving solo all depends on you, your skill level, and attitude.

If the instructor feels you can handle it, then you'll be allowed to drive solo.

It's not something you can request; it's up to them to let you know if they feel you're ready or not. Generally when a student asks to go solo, they get declined.

Pat

addbhp
02-25-2002, 10:21 PM
Pat, That's a great summary of the BMW schools. I've done about 5 or 6 myself, and the learning is unparallel. I would also suggest to anyone to do the autocrosses they put on. Although you rarely get into 3rd gear, the car control you learn there, can be applied to the larger tracks. Plus any spin you have at an autocross, the most your gonna hit is a pylon.

Do you know what the dates are for the Raven events?

GR8 Ride
02-25-2002, 11:10 PM
Raven Days start on April 5th, and there is at least one a month following that.

May 10th, June 21, July 22, August 9th, September 23,

October 11,12 and November 9/10.

As well, Raven will be running the Cayuga open lapping days, so participation in this is now restricted to those with experience driving Solo at one of the BMW Club schools, Raven Performance Days, Ferrari Club or Porsche Club schools.

These days are:

May 3, June 7, July 10, August 1, September 16, October 21, November 22.

Call John to get into any of these dates.

Pat

addbhp
02-25-2002, 11:22 PM
Thanks Pat, any idea on price??

Harry
03-06-2002, 11:43 PM
How do you get involved with the track days? Im curious to take part in these events to improve my abilities.

thanks.

Harry
03-07-2002, 12:21 AM
Thanks, I've now submitted my registration.