PDA

View Full Version : Signal for when you leave the lights on

eta Epsilon
04-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Hi,
Is there supposed to be a sound signal to tell you the lights are still on when you turn the car off?

I don't. I learned it the hard way...

I have a 86 eta.

Thanks

E30M42cab
04-24-2009, 05:35 PM
no, but your parking lights will stay on... which I guess you know now.

eta Epsilon
04-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Anybody have try to do one???
Any idea how it could be done???

eta Epsilon
04-25-2009, 12:09 PM
anyone?

E30M42cab
04-26-2009, 11:12 AM
look at your car when you walk away from it and make sure they're not on.

eta Epsilon
04-26-2009, 11:34 AM
look at your car when you walk away from it and make sure they're not on.

Wow!
What a cool advice!
:rolleyes:

But thinking of it, if I would have looked at it in the past, the battery would still be good...:idea:

echo
04-26-2009, 06:44 PM
You could easily rig one up with a relay. Power source for the relay would be the park light circuit, but the relay would only switch when the ignition is in the off position. That way if the lights are off, and ignition off, there is no power, and if the lights are on and the ignition is on, the relay cuts power to the gong. You'd need to buy a buzzer or gong though and work out how to make it sound (you can't just apply power to a speaker). You may also find that the gong would affect the resistance seen by the check control module and would activate your park-light warning light. So you may have to rethink if this is the case.

You also wouldn't be able to purposefully leave your park lights on.

On that subject, how many people know that you can make just one park and tail light come on for when you are parked on a street to show the outer-most side of your vehicle?? I use it a fair bit when parked on narrow, unlit streets.

everlast
04-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Uhh.. since you have two threads, one saying you're kick panel is off and this one, I'm going to venture that you didn't know this:

Attached to the kick panel, on the inside, is a small box that performs all the gong functions, ie, when you leave your lights on.

:D

eta Epsilon
04-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Uhh.. since you have two threads, one saying you're kick panel is off and this one, I'm going to venture that you didn't know this:

Attached to the kick panel, on the inside, is a small box that performs all the gong functions, ie, when you leave your lights on.

:D

yeah you got me!:D

Do you mean that this box is supposed to make a sound when the lights are on or that it could do it if wired correctly?

echo
04-26-2009, 08:48 PM
AFAIK the gong doesn't warn for lights on. Unless it has extra functions in different markets????

Also, some cars didn't come with the gong at all (at least 3 e30's I've owned havn't).

E30M42cab
04-26-2009, 10:17 PM
That gong is the first thing that gets removed from every E30 I've owned, and both my parents E30's. Annoying, and useless.

everlast
04-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Except when you're like the OP and leave your lights on. Then it's good.

And yes, every NA car came with it, and yes it gongs when the lights are on.

craz azn
04-27-2009, 12:18 AM
On that subject, how many people know that you can make just one park and tail light come on for when you are parked on a street to show the outer-most side of your vehicle?? I use it a fair bit when parked on narrow, unlit streets.

North American market e30s don't get this feature unfortunately. :(

everlast
04-27-2009, 12:33 AM
Interestingly, my E90 does. I bet 99.9% of the population in NA don't even know what that is.

craz azn
04-27-2009, 12:38 AM
^^ LOL yea I discovered that by accident when I worked at BMW... I got out of an E90, I was like freaking out and pointing, the guy working with me was like wassamattawithyou??! I was gesturing at the lights, thinking its the coolest thing ever LOL

eta Epsilon
04-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Except when you're like the OP and leave your lights on. Then it's good.

And yes, every NA car came with it, and yes it gongs when the lights are on.

Ok, so mine does not. Any idea what could be wrong?
I'm first gonna look if I have to box you talk about....