PDA

View Full Version : Help with Basemap for 328is (MegaSquirt)

spooling
04-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey all,

I'm setting up MegaSquirt on my 328is. I just wanted to know if anyone has a basemap that I can run with to start the autotune?

Im new at this so any help or recommendations would be great!

90E30i
04-28-2009, 10:42 PM
I think your best bet would be to follow the instructions on the MS website on how to get started on tunning. A wide band O2 sensor is gonna be your best friend.

spooling
04-30-2009, 03:11 AM
I think your best bet would be to follow the instructions on the MS website on how to get started on tunning. A wide band O2 sensor is gonna be your best friend.

Yep read the megamanual 2 times now but could still benefit from a 3rd or 4th read. However, it'd still be nice to have the stock map. Oh well my wideband definately helps things out.

Bullet Ride
04-30-2009, 08:27 AM
yeah it's definitely all in the megamanual

there are a couple of m20 maps here that that might be able to gove you some sort of rough idea http://megasquirt.e30klubben.net/lastned.php
best thing though is to figure it out yourself instead of relying on someone elses maps because if something goes wrong you wont really know what caused it. like it says in the manual it's important to only change one thing at a time, that way you know whether it was a beneficial or detrimental change.

90E30i
04-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Yep read the megamanual 2 times now but could still benefit from a 3rd or 4th read. However, it'd still be nice to have the stock map. Oh well my wideband definately helps things out.

I started off using somebody else's map as well but didn't help me much, sometimes the smallest difference between two motors can change everything, like injector size. Start off with getting the motor running and idleing first and then you can dyno tune to get WOT in range. Street tuning is the last part and usually the most time consuming. That's how I went about it. Good luck

e30_kid89
04-30-2009, 06:51 PM
^^^werd...Id rely more on using somebody's spark table more than VE table...Because like what 90E30i said once you get the car running and idiling tuning it with a WBo2 will be pretty straight foward.

spooling
05-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Yea sounds good, I'm still exploring all the optioins. How long did it take you guys to get it running well with megasquirt...Ie. what kind of downtime should I be assuming here..maybe a few days to a week for daily driving?

PedroBMW
05-25-2009, 03:46 PM
if you've never done it before I'd give yourself a month. Between wiring, troubleshooting, tuning, retuning. etc. etc. its not something that you will get done in a few days.

spooling
05-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Yea I didnt want to mess around with megasquirt and I'm tired of waiting around for the Shark Edit program which should be out in 1 week-who knows when. I'm going to ship my dme to Active.

e30_kid89
05-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Ship it to TRM....do they do OBD2?

spooling
05-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Unfortunately they do not do obd2. They would want me to do obd1 swap, which is almost the same cost as an active tune on its own. TRM will have obd2 tuning capabilities available to the public within a few months.

NOTORIOUS VR
08-05-2009, 02:15 PM
please don't use Autotune...

Just start off as they suggest in the MS manual. As for a base spark map.. you can pretty much use anyones completed map... just don't go off boosting the motor on it.

Here's a pretty good NA ign table for you to start off with... Just don't worry about the .x numbers... just do whole numbers.

http://byfiles.storage.msn.com/y1p3S_RRbbWi6LOQxZO16-X6eOizNklebxlikT5P7qXbdQI7VUG5C6t9hQctvi11v9tlpPKk Yuxg34

Bullet Ride
08-05-2009, 03:43 PM
please don't use Autotune...

Explanation as to why?

NOTORIOUS VR
08-06-2009, 11:56 AM
I just don't believe in it I guess... Besides once you get used to the software tuning fuel shouldn't take you longer then an hour or so or street driving to get you pretty darn close to where you want to be.