PDA

View Full Version : problems with door lock

e30blue
04-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Well I bought the car like this and didn't think it would bother me but now it's becoming quite a nuisance.

it's kind of hard to explain in words but bare with me.

when i unlock my doors, i cannot get the key out without them locking on me.
So to get into my car, i gotta unlock my door, open it and then pull the key out, which I don't really mind.

The annoying part is when I have a passenger. I gotta unlock the door, wait for them to get in, and then open the drivers door and pull the key out.

maybe need a new actuator????

FuryriderX
04-21-2009, 09:51 PM
probably the contactor in the lock cylinder is messed up. maybe take it apart and have a look?

Ceeker
04-21-2009, 09:57 PM
I would suggest rebuilding the lock cylinder. You can order a un coded lock cylinder from the dealership. They may just have it in stock. just remember: when you take your old one out and apart be careful to remember the numbered sequence of each "key" whinin the cylinder. Not to be mistaken with the key that unlocks the door.
Each "key" has a number stamped on it and the new ones should go back in the same order as the old ones came out. This matches the key to the new cylinder. Try it a few times to make sure you have them installed and and proper sequence.

The Sly
04-21-2009, 11:23 PM
I have seen many E30's with a broken locks causing it to be loose at the lock/unlock actuator and the it does exactly what your describing.

I would suggest checking it out for cracks or broken pieces and then do what
Ceeker is saying.
Replacement may be the only solution.

W2WDETAILING
04-21-2009, 11:48 PM
i have to do this but im holding off because locking and unlocking my car from the trunk is soo much cooler:D oh and when i close my drivers door it jingles like something is loose i cannot lock or open it with the key and the pass door is barely function able

e30blue
04-22-2009, 12:47 PM
i'm gonna take a look at it this weekend...anybody have an idea on what a lock cylinder goes for at the dealership if i need a new one?

Ceeker
04-22-2009, 01:26 PM
I haven't bought one in a while but I believe it's around 30.00