PDA

View Full Version : e30 rear hub removal...

W2WDETAILING
04-21-2009, 08:35 PM
ok so i had to buy new backing plates since mine were rotted now i cant access the 2 stupid fkn bolts by the ebrake mechanisim. i want to take the hub off and put the backing plate on properly instead of cutting it and welding it. now what do i need to do this how is that stupid hub connected in there the axle bolt is off i took the brake disc off do i have to get a puller or something? i found a website with pics but it wasnt very helpfull any tips/info on how to do it??

e30_kid89
04-22-2009, 12:27 AM
It's gonna be hard, but you need to find a pipe or something the same size diameter of the rear part of the hub and hammer the hub out from underneath...You will most likely destroy the wheel bearing in doing so get ready to change the wheel bearings as well.

Tip: Use a BFH you can fit and swing under thurr.

W2WDETAILING
04-22-2009, 12:56 AM
ok but could i dis connect the shaft from the dif and hammer that out? thats what im not sure about? id rather not have to replace the berrings because ive spent way too much on the car and i dont have time to **** with that i want to finish it for the opener aswell

echo
04-22-2009, 03:19 AM
If you hammer (or even pull with the correct tool) the bearing out, chances are the inner race will come out and leave the outer race in the assembly, or the outer race will come and leave the inner on the stub axle (depending on how you do it). Either way that's a new wheel bearing.

As far as time goes - if you are pulling the bearing out, why no treplcae it while you are there - same time to put a new one in as the old one.

Don't hammer on the axle.

Ceeker
04-22-2009, 07:26 AM
As I said before....if it ain't broke....don't fix it....but I guess we all gotta learn the hard way some time...lol..If my bmw tech friends are telling the job of pulling the bearing is a bitch and these guys have tons of tools, the facility and experience...wouldn't you try to avoid this job at all possibility?? what makes you think you can do it faster or easier??? But hey!! it's your wallet and your time. :-)

InfiniteDice
04-22-2009, 07:44 AM
The wheel bearing is separate from the hub at the rears, that's why the bearing is only 40$ for the rear and you need to buy a whole new hub assembly for the front 200$.

Big Hammer.

craz azn
04-22-2009, 10:35 AM
As I said before....if it ain't broke....don't fix it....but I guess we all gotta learn the hard way some time...lol..If my bmw tech friends are telling the job of pulling the bearing is a bitch and these guys have tons of tools, the facility and experience...wouldn't you try to avoid this job at all possibility?? what makes you think you can do it faster or easier??? But hey!! it's your wallet and your time. :-)

Hell, I'd bitch about it too if I was only getting paid flat rate. I've seen so much dealer work that is so hack its ridiculous. Plus lots of the techs at the dealer are lazy SOBs. Stop trying to make the guy shortcut his work dude.

Axxe
04-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Some people have good luck with a slide hammer.

e30_kid89
04-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Some people have good luck with a slide hammer.

YES! a slide hammer works very well too....and plus it feels like your doing some intesnse e30 workoutz yoh.*drink*

OneTrack
04-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Generally, special tools are needed to pull the rear bearing out. One source is SIR tools http://www.sirtools.com/bmw_page_3.htm B 90 BMW KIT is the one I think. Not sure if there is anywhere you can rent this tool...

supernaught
04-22-2009, 12:23 PM
use a torch and cut the bearing in 2 places. Falls out in a couple minutes. Be skilled with a torch before you try this.

Ceeker
04-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Not all techs "hack" the jobs!! There are many that I know of that still work with integrity.
Yes, they also work flat rate. I know because I worked with them for many years.
If you recall "Beach Auto Ltd" one of the first BMW dealerships in Toronto, maybe even Ontario. People came from everywhere to get their cars serviced. Of course at that time techs weren't paid flat rate. And e30's were the rage and anyone who owned a bmw back then was considered an "Elite" and even called a snob at some point or even worse...(Grin) But these tech who worked hourly learned to adapt and use discretion at what jobs they can take shortcuts without compromising the job. Lots of people on this forum just "talk" and then there are those who work/worked in the environment first hand and speak from experience such as myself.

T.Dot_E30
04-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Give me a slide hammer and an air hammer, i can do a wheel bearing in under an hour. Wonder what the book rate on that job is.....can't be less than 2hr.

Get the biggest slide hammer you can find, don't be gentle, bang the hell out of it.