PDA

View Full Version : 328is vs Lexus IS 300

mkgino
03-02-2003, 12:00 AM
I know, I always say that I try not to race on the streets but this guy left me no choice............Anyway, I was leaving school and I see a yellow IS 300 leaving also. So he is heading towards the highway and I quickly pass him in the next lane over and jump onto the onramp for the 401.

I see him also get onto the onramp and he starts to tail me maybe about 3 feet from my bumper, and at that point I knew it was on...................

So I am going around the onramp in 2nd at about 3000 rpm's going pretty slow, and once I get an opening I nail it. I see in my rearview mirror he does the same. I redline second and quickly switch into 3rd. I look back and he is about 3 cars behind me and I wasnt really pulling on him, but he wasnt gaining either. I looked back and saw at that point that he shut down and realised that it was futile running against the power of the bimma' so I shut down at the end of third at about 160km/h.

I dont know if this is really a kill, but I know that he didnt gain an inch on me. I always thought that the IS 300 would walk all over me since its rated at like 215 crank hp and somewhat equal torque.

All in all it was a good race.................Whatever, we will see what will happen when I get my 3.38 gearing..............*th-up*

In any case, just to be a prick about it......................Hey, Lexus IS300................

slemmer
03-02-2003, 12:14 AM
Do u think the other guy went full out?

mkgino
03-02-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by slemmer
Do u think the other guy went full out? I know for a fact he did. Im thinking that he was an automatic, I will take a peak next time at school. I didnt put anything on him, but I know that he couldnt gain on me either. Im thinking that he was an auto or that they are just geared to be slow, dont know?!?!?!

Bill Gates
03-02-2003, 12:25 AM
yup, that was a kill alright... 2002 IS300 are spec'd between 7.1-7.5sec 0-60 so that was about right, especially if it was an auto.

*th-up*

Jon@Bimmersport
03-02-2003, 12:25 AM
it could have been auto...the early models didnt come with 5spd, correct me if im wrong..good kill man, those things are pretty fast though.

Bill Gates
03-02-2003, 12:27 AM
don't let the HP fool you. i raced my buddies Pontiac GTP auto and he's got 235HP or something, plus supercharger, i had 1 car ahead of him after 80km....

VANOS baby! *th-up*

M50E30
03-02-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by mkgino
I know for a fact he did. Im thinking that he was an automatic, I will take a peak next time at school. I didnt put anything on him, but I know that he couldnt gain on me either. Im thinking that he was an auto or that they are just geared to be slow, dont know?!?!?!

IS300's are nice cars and I wouldn't mind taking one out with a manual for a spin on day. I could almost bet the farm that it was an auto. Check the car out an let us know...and be honest! LOL! :D

mkgino
03-02-2003, 12:30 AM
I always thought they were faster. But they are about 100 pounds heavier, so I can see how he didnt gain. I want to say I pulled on him, but Im not sure if I did or not. But I know he didnt get an inch on me either.

mkgino
03-02-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by M50E30
IS300's are nice cars and I wouldn't mind taking one out with a manual for a spin on day. I could almost bet the farm that it was an auto. Check the car out an let us know...and be honest! LOL! :D

I will, I dont care if it was an auto or manual. What happened today is the truth, I have no reason to lie. I know what my car can and cant beat. I would like to race one from a stop though, that would be a good race.

M50E30
03-02-2003, 12:38 AM
I will, I dont care if it was an auto or manual. What happened today is the truth, I have no reason to lie. I know what my car can and cant beat. I would like to race one from a stop though, that would be a good race.

I didn't mean your story was a lie...just want the heads up on the auto or manual...I wouldn't mind playin' with one of those once the E30 is on the road! ;)

mkgino
03-02-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by M50E30
I didn't mean your story was a lie...just want the heads up on the auto or manual...I wouldn't mind playin' with one of those once the E30 is on the road! ;)

I know dude, Im just sayin....................:)

M50E30
03-02-2003, 12:56 AM
I know dude, Im just sayin....................:)

You know that I know that you know...ya know? LOL! And you do say ALOT! J/K! :D

sonic07
03-02-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Bill Gates
don't let the HP fool you. i raced my buddies Pontiac GTP auto and he's got 235HP or something, plus supercharger, i had 1 car ahead of him after 80km....

VANOS baby! *th-up*

hey i remember somebody is against street racing. but good kill.
perhaps you could've kill him with your mazda.:cool:

the big white man from london is cursing about his gtp and he is dripping on slemmer bimmer.

moerom
03-02-2003, 04:23 AM
That IS300 is good to look at and that is all.

It is a rebadged Toyota and also drives like one.

The clutch has no feedback, the shifter is long and notchy, and the interior is small and plasticky. I took one out for a test drive and I was not nearly as impressed as I was with a 330i.

I always thought the IS was a great car until I drove one :(

BMW has the sport sedan thing perfected.

WASABI
03-02-2003, 04:32 AM
I agree with MOE ... after driving one (5spd) I didn't think it was that great ... I used to love off the IS300, but the interior was just blah! Even with the leather trim and all. The shifter felt weird, looked wierd too. I wish the Lexus SCs were standard :(.

mkgino
03-03-2003, 12:16 PM
Well as I had suspected, it was an auto. LOL, when I was walking by today, I stopped to take a peak in the car and the dude was lying down in there sleeping. he probably thought I was a weirdo or something. Ma well it isnt the first time :madnoel:

Anyway, now I would really love to race a stock one that is 5-speed, I am sure it would be closer.

WASABI
03-03-2003, 02:42 PM
I stopped to take a peak in the car and the dude was lying down in there sleeping.

See what you've done? He's probably loosing sleep trying to figure out how to trade up to a Bimmer now. :D

mkgino
03-03-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by WASABI
See what you've done? He's probably loosing sleep trying to figure out how to trade up to a Bimmer now. :D

Well hey, Im not the one who made BMW's power, Im just the one who uses it!! Its not my fault he drives an underpowered car...:cool:

djcontra
03-04-2003, 03:15 PM

VANOS baby! *th-up*

really??? I can't wait to race one in my 5spd e36, since I lost a race to one in my old automatic e36.

btw, nice kill mkgino. I love those little mini-races at the entrance to the highway. I get in alot of those at the markham rd entrance, the cars will even pull beside you on the cloverleaf to line up!

Jon@Bimmersport
03-04-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
really??? I can't wait to race one in my 5spd e36, since I lost a race to one in my old automatic e36.

btw, nice kill mkgino. I love those little mini-races at the entrance to the highway. I get in alot of those at the markham rd entrance, the cars will even pull beside you on the cloverleaf to line up!

haha really? i'd like to see that!

Bill Gates
03-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by djcontra

the GTP is no slouch, but i remember getting a cleaner launch. his tires definitely squeeled though (that cost him). :D

if we kept going after 80km, i wouldn't be surprised if he passed me. *mumble*

thinair
03-05-2003, 04:43 AM

VANOS baby! *th-up*

Very true, hp doesn't always make a faster car, I have taken an early 90's 5.0 mustang GT (225hp, 300ft-lbs), 5spd, not by much, but I did pull on him....he was my cousin, he made me......

Gamite
03-05-2003, 01:12 PM
an IS300 was my FIRST loss, and it killed me ever so slightly, if I raced him now with my chip, I'd beat him for sure, that's how close we were. (I think his was auto too cuz this was around when IS300's first came out)

BMW_M52_M20
03-07-2003, 08:00 AM

VANOS baby! *th-up*

Funny that you say that, I raced a 2 door GTP supercharged as well, and I didn't have a problem in any of the gears keeping ahead of him. Two young guys were in the GTP, he had exhausts and rims. I never under estimate my car, is surprises the hell out of me a lot!
J