PDA

View Full Version : e30 rear bumper removal

Ceeker
04-20-2009, 09:43 PM
I have a 2 door with the left rear rebar pushed into the tail panel under the rear light. the bolt snapped trying to remove it with a pry bar torx. The right side came loose but the left is pinched.
I can't get to any other bolts that hold the rebar to the bumper shock bracket. This is a plastic bumper assembly.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know what can be done to get it off? If possibly without damaging anything further...I say IF a BIG IF!!!

Your input would be much appreciated.

thanks.

craz azn
04-20-2009, 09:45 PM
How about taking the bumper shock off?

e30_kid89
04-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Bumper shock nuts from underneath the car/trunk are your last hope.

After that, get creative lol.

Ceeker
04-20-2009, 09:54 PM
if I'm not mistaken; the car got hit pretty good to the point where those two nuts you're speaking of can't been seen. when I mean pushed in...I mean pushed in...

Get creative??? oh well now...that opens up huge possibilities....I want to abstain from that option. (Grin) I'm about to take to a body shop but don't want them to damage the car anymore to pull the back end back out. do you think they can do it with the rebar still in place??

craz azn
04-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Why do you care to take the rebar off properly? Sounds like its beyond repair already. Just have at it with a sawzall/torch/hammer...

Me personally, Id try and torch the bumper shock bolts off. To have those bolts hidden, the car must be folded right up to the rear axle, so I am sure you can see it from underneath. I believe there is a third bolt in the trunk though, so take a look and see that you can get to it.

Ceeker
04-20-2009, 10:15 PM
believe or not the rebar is intact and there is minimal body damage considering...panel just needs to be pulled back. I was thinking of sacrificing the rebar with sawsall and then further cut the bumper shock right out...big sigh....I didn't want to get into all that...oh well...my questions have been answered....lol...

thx all.

matty.dc
04-21-2009, 09:56 AM
....when i took the plastic bumpers off of my parts car for my swap none of the torx heads would budge so i burned it out with an oxy/acet torch.

Ceeker
04-21-2009, 01:32 PM
going to get creative!!!! lol...I'll keep the bunch posted on the progress.

The Sly
04-21-2009, 11:15 PM
....when i took the plastic bumpers off of my parts car for my swap none of the torx heads would budge so i burned it out with an oxy/acet torch.

Same happened to me and if i do remember well, i also tried to drill them out.

So yea he needs to get creative and get it out.

matty.dc
04-22-2009, 02:32 PM
just use a sawzall and a sledge lmao

86coupe30
04-24-2009, 10:02 AM
i would zip cut the bolts off with a grinder if you can get in there.. alot cleaner and take like 15 seconds a bolt haha

everlast
04-24-2009, 12:38 PM
My large torx bolts have always been seized (from an unknown parts car donor) so I always have to remove the bumper with the four small bolts holding the shock bracket. The one by the muffler is a total PITA, since no rust proofing will stay on it due to the near by heat.

The next time I have it out, should I drill out the torx bolts and replace them, or too much risk for too little benefit you think?

Ceeker
04-24-2009, 12:41 PM
naw...remember, they most likely never been off for the life of the car. Just clean up the threads and the bolt if it's salvagible or get new ones and put anti seize compound on them. you'll never have a problem getting off again.

Ceeker
04-24-2009, 12:43 PM
if I can't get to the shock bolts in behind I may just have too zip cut the rebar with my sawzall..sometimes shit happens you just gotta rip through it.

everlast
04-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Oh, my shock mount bolts (the four small ones) are in perfect shape now. It's just a PITA to get at them compared to the torx ones.

Come to think of it, it's a wonder there aren't more plastic bumper thefts considering how easy they should be to remove, lol.

Why wouldn't you be able to get at the shock mount bolts? From damage?

Ceeker
04-24-2009, 01:22 PM
yup. body panel is pressed up again the inner trunk bed.

everlast
04-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Damn.

Ceeker
04-25-2009, 05:26 PM
well, I managed to get one bumper bolt off with heat and needed to drop the exhaust a bit to get to the 2nd one. 13mm wrench is slipping so tried 1/2 inch still slipping. Don't have cutting torch... because of the damage little room for crows foot or even a socket. Neither will fit.

How about air chisel? I do have air tools...

The Sly
04-25-2009, 09:39 PM
well, I managed to get one bumper bolt off with heat and needed to drop the exhaust a bit to get to the 2nd one. 13mm wrench is slipping so tried 1/2 inch still slipping. Don't have cutting torch... because of the damage little room for crows foot or even a socket. Neither will fit.

How about air chisel? I do have air tools...

Air tools

There you go ...A good air gun should do the job.

Ceeker
04-26-2009, 08:08 PM
ok, managed to get to the last mount bolt, but baaaarely got to it. nothing like a torch and vise grips- with a little finesse...its OFF!! ok, now it's off to the body shop to pull.

thanks for the tips people..appreciate it. :-)