PDA

View Full Version : WTB Rear brake backing shields new or used with no rust

W2WDETAILING
04-18-2009, 12:11 PM
WTB rear brake backing shields new or used ****rust free ive been trying to rig it up and its pissing me off i ran out of swearwords so i gave up! need proper backing plates to clip the ebrake assembly into. and how much would brake lines cost from the dealer(where else could i get them** prebent with the fittings. i need the back left,back right and the one that goes along drivers side to the front of the car. *shiner*

Axxe
04-18-2009, 12:42 PM
No prebent brake lines for E30's available.

andicanada
04-18-2009, 01:09 PM
backing plates are about $28 a side and you should also get new bearings as you have to remove the hub in order to change the backing plates
all the hard lines and rubber lines are around $130

W2WDETAILING
04-18-2009, 02:35 PM
no prebent brake lines for e30's available.

fml!

W2WDETAILING
04-18-2009, 02:36 PM
backing plates are about $28 a side and you should also get new bearings as you have to remove the hub in order to change the backing plates
all the hard lines and rubber lines are around $130

thanks for the info i want to go stainless tho i will be buying the 6piece kit shown on pelican for 100 but what kind of brake line do i use

everlast
04-18-2009, 03:41 PM
The stainless lines only replace the rubber part. You still need the hard lines replaced.

It's a **** of a job, sorry to say. You can get the proper lines from any automotive store, but you might have to order the long line from BMW. Its about 8' IIRC. They all come straight. Pull out your old lines, mimick the bends with the new ones and install.

Word of caution: you WILL ruin a line or two until you get the hang of using a bender. It's a PITA job and seriously thankless.

Ceeker
04-18-2009, 03:51 PM
you don't need to pull the bearings on an e30. We use to install brand new backing plates but cutting and slipping over the hub and then re-tack weld them. The techs weren't paid enough to do it by the book and this worked just as well and nobody is going to see them.
You'll cut down your install time by 2-300% because rear bearings are a bitch to remove. if it aint broke....don't fix it!!!

W2WDETAILING
04-18-2009, 08:17 PM
you don't need to pull the bearings on an e30. We use to install brand new backing plates but cutting and slipping over the hub and then re-tack weld them. The techs weren't paid enough to do it by the book and this worked just as well and nobody is going to see them.
You'll cut down your install time by 2-300% because rear bearings are a bitch to remove. if it aint broke....don't fix it!!!

You are a Fkn genius ok now i need to go get backing plates!

InfiniteDice
04-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Yeah then the crappy weld bead rusts and breaks and you get this horrible buzzing from it when you're on a rough road.

LOL

After welding I'd repaint it with high temp paint, in the very least.

T.Dot_E30
04-20-2009, 09:23 AM
This is the reason i am taking my whole rear sub-frame out and doing this:

New Sub-Frame Bushings
New Trailing Arm Bushings
New Wheel Bearings
New Backing Plates
New Parking Brake Calipers
New Parking brake hardware
SS Lines

Maybe Rebuilt calipers with a new coat of paint.

craz azn
04-20-2009, 07:44 PM
This is the reason i am taking my whole rear sub-frame out and doing this:

New Sub-Frame Bushings
New Trailing Arm Bushings
New Wheel Bearings
New Backing Plates
New Parking Brake Calipers
New Parking brake hardware
SS Lines

Maybe Rebuilt calipers with a new coat of paint.

Doin' it once, and doin' it right! *rockout**th-up**th-up*

Ceeker
04-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Well of course you paint it after a weld. Do you leave the body rough after welding metal in and not paint the body???? come on people...use your common sense here. by the time your backing plate breaks loose again, your car will be in bmw heaven....use tremclad....works amazing.

The other thing is this: most people won't bother to pull used backing plates because of the work to get them off; it's just not worth it. Nor worth using used ones. Get new, they are painted factory satin black and stop nickel and dime yourself to save maybe 20 bucks. :-) remember....time is money...used ones need cleaning up. more time, supplies= more money. btt you get done you'll probably be into the same money buying new. good luck.