PDA

View Full Version : brake issue

e30blue
04-17-2009, 02:17 PM
I bought new brakes for my e30. I did the fronts and the rear left with no problems...Now the rear right has a stripped bolt..the allen head thats holds the rotor on..

1. How can i get it off? I have that canadian tire stripped bolt remover kit or w.e the **** its called but i've never used it and don't wanna mess it up even more.

2. Once it's off...where can i buy a new one?

InfiniteDice
04-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Oh the dreaded stripped hex bolt issue... ;)

Jack it up, remove the caliper and the caliper mounting bracket. Take a big hammer and whack it off... (rubber mallet if you like the disc, metal if you're changing the discs); the top of the bolt will shear off... then heat the part of the hub slightly... (only slightly) then twist it out with vise grips.

Cheers.

Duct_Taper
04-17-2009, 03:11 PM
New bolts you can get from the dealer... I bought some not too long ago. Can't remember exactly what they charged, but it was less than $1 ea.

supernaught
04-17-2009, 03:52 PM
you can also use a large drill bit and drill most of the head off. When most of the way through, use the hammer method as dice said. It will come off a lit easier. But don't use any small drill bits as you will want as much of the shank of the screw left over to put vise grips on after the rotor is off.

Ceeker
04-17-2009, 04:00 PM
The reason it strips in the first place is because people tighten it down like it holds the car together. DON'T REEF IT DOWN. its not necessary- just make it snug enough to hold the rotor down. the wheel bolts will do the rest. good luck.

Axxe
04-17-2009, 05:13 PM
For the old one, just take a drill bit and drill the head off. When the rotor is out you can easily grab it with vise grip, maybe heat up the hub with a plumbing torch (yellow cannister is better). When reinstalling it, use NeverSeize paste, worth it's weight in gold (or silver) when you go to attack it again.

T.Dot_E30
04-17-2009, 05:24 PM
center punch and a hammer, keep tapping it to the left to loose it.

or drill it out if that fails.

New bolts came with my brembo blanks, but im sure you get get them almost anywhere.

BmW1819
04-17-2009, 06:29 PM
that's the best way than just get vise grips and and undo it

Oh the dreaded stripped hex bolt issue... ;)

Jack it up, remove the caliper and the caliper mounting bracket. Take a big hammer and whack it off... (rubber mallet if you like the disc, metal if you're changing the discs); the top of the bolt will shear off... then heat the part of the hub slightly... (only slightly) then twist it out with vise grips.

Cheers.

W2WDETAILING
04-18-2009, 12:05 PM
i had this issue when i was doing the brakes on the acura i had to drill and tap all of them *mumble* got replacement screws at home hardware :P

BmW1819
04-18-2009, 01:20 PM
where do u live ill do it for ya lol :) ill even get u a replacment screw

e30blue
04-18-2009, 02:01 PM
where do u live ill do it for ya lol :) ill even get u a replacment screw

lol where were you yesterday?

well i took it off...but i didn't get a chance to get a new bolt, dealership closed at 4:30 yesterday and i got too much school shit to do today.

can i use any bolt, as long as the diameter is the same?
i'm pretty sure I can find one in the garage that'll fit, i don't feel like driving up to maranello for one bolt.

Thanks for the help guys

BmW1819
04-18-2009, 02:13 PM
gotta be same diameter and length

Ceeker
04-18-2009, 07:39 PM
bud, you aren't driving a Chevy... replace with the proper bolt. Do you think the next guy who's possibly gonna buy your car is going to take you seriously when you red neck the job???

W2WDETAILING
04-18-2009, 08:14 PM
any screw that is the same size and style will work! its not like oh hey omg he didn't buy the screws at the dealership im not buying this car!!!!:rolleyes: aslong as they sit flush its fine.....!