PDA

View Full Version : 325i e30 starting issue

Ceeker
04-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Car seems to have a hard time starting; More specific, the car cranks strong but start up is delayed and not always consistent. Does this happen when your car hits 200k plus? I was told from a reputable source that injectors get dirty and they start to drip fuel into the intake after shut off.

Any suggestions to fix problem?

supernaught
04-13-2009, 11:48 PM
it could be a few things.
One could be that you have a fuel/air leak somewhere and fuel is draining from your lines back into the tank, meaning the pump has to prime before it will catch well.
Or it is possible you have one or more leaky injectors, This will usually cause some fuel to leak into the suspect cylinder(s) and after starting cause it to run rich and rough for a short time till it is burned off.

How long does it run rough for? will it actually cut out?
Is it worse the longer you leave it(ie go into a store and its ok but left overnight its worse)?

If it is actually the injectors, you can replace them, have them ultrasonically cleaned, run some injector cleaner through the tank, or maybe try to Seafoam it.

andicanada
04-14-2009, 12:11 AM
always the same change the fuel pump and the problem is gone

Ceeker
04-14-2009, 07:25 AM
Bmw Technician told me it's most likely fuel injectors because his 88 does the same. Car doesn't run rough at all. Just hard start at times, more so during warmer weather. Yes, if I shut off and start it say after jumping into a store and back- no problem. but left for a while after running it; it will make the next start difficult.

but he did say that any bmw with close to or around 200k should get the fuel pump and alternator changed as a rule. Because the the two most common problems it brushing wearing and pump becomes weak or intermittent.

supernaught
04-14-2009, 07:26 AM
i agree with andi on the fuel pump. injectors is possible but the pump is more likely.

Ej_Red
04-14-2009, 11:49 AM
I actually have the same problem. The car does run way too rich on the cold start up. If i start it up and shut it off it won't even restart. Spark plugs have tons of fuel on them. I ran proper injector cleaner connected to the fuel line. Problem still there. Fuel pumpp was replaced by the previous owner.
This problem occurs more so on the hot start. If i drive it and park it for 10 mins or so.

Ceeker
04-14-2009, 12:18 PM
yeah, similar situation; usually on hot start. after sitting for a while. My Bmw Technician friend who works for Bmw currently told me it's the injectors. using injector cleaner might help, try it he said. There was a time when BMW hooked the car up to a machine and did an actual fuel system cleaning. Was also done on e36s. I don't know if this is available anymore. Worse case, take injectors out. inspect, get them cleaned properly or just get another set. Mind you if this is the case perhaps getting m50 or s52 injectors may bode better.

Ej_Red
04-14-2009, 05:13 PM
I just told you, i did hook it up to the machine if you want to call it like that. It's just the injector cleaning kit that connects directly to the fuel injector line. You run the product that comes in the can with the return line pinched until the can runs out, the car stalls and you're done.
It didn't make any difference. My car still does it.

Ceeker
04-14-2009, 05:18 PM
The one you did was a do it yourself; you can't compare this with the process I just explained. That is like taking a canadian tire a/c kit to recharge you a/c system. Doesn't always work; especially if you have air in the system. The system which I was referring to was a recycling type and I'm sure more efficient then store bought kits. Needless to say, it's trial and error; sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't because that may actually not be the case at all. :-)

Ej_Red
04-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Lol i work at the dealership and this is what we use on customer`s cars and i'm sure bmw dealership uses the same kit. Ask your friend.

Ceeker
04-14-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't believe so, not from my recollection. that's like saying because I drive a domestic it should drive the same as a bmw? both have wheels.....etc...different breed. different technology - yes even as apparently simple injector system. I worked for bmw - this is how I know.

Ej_Red
04-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Um no, technology is the same as to the fuel injector cleaning. You run the cleaner directly to the injectors, disable the fuel pump and crimp the return line if the vehicle has one. In our case, it does have one.

Ceeker
04-14-2009, 10:07 PM
well I guess it's injector time for both our cars! let me know if you source good ones.