PDA

View Full Version : mobil 1, The million mile e30

W2WDETAILING
04-12-2009, 11:39 PM
i came across this on e30tech.... VERY IMPRESSIVE m20 ftw

Imagine Driving Your Car For One Million Miles. It Would Take Forever!

In 1990 Mobil conducted an extraordinary experiment with Mobil 1 - the Million Miles Test. At Mobil's research center in the United States, a new BMW 325i, with a 2.5ltr in line 6 cylinder engine, was filled with Mobil 1, and then run continuously day and night for the next four years - stopping only for routine maintenance and servicing.

The BMW spent four years on the treadmill, 24 hours a day, mostly at 85 miles an hour but with varied speeds - down as low as 45 miles an hour to simulate everyday driving.

After the equivalent of a million miles of hard driving, the engine was stripped and examined. What they found was astonishing: there was no sign of any significant wear. Not only was the engine still in excellent working order, most parts were still within BMW's tolerance for a new engine!

video > http://www.mobil1.com.au/performance/miles.aspx

///Mmm
04-13-2009, 12:13 AM
Wow!!!

Wannabe
04-13-2009, 12:25 AM
I want that car!

e30_kid89
04-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Nice, Though I bet it was more of the engine than teh oilzzz:P;)

Dado 540
04-13-2009, 01:36 AM
Im assuming this was conducted in a controlled environment such as a lab. That would mean that the weather factors did not influence this test in any way, or factors such as road conditions. Thats why the engine was within specs. However it still is an amazing experiment.

andicanada
04-13-2009, 01:50 AM
In my point off view I think the test says nothing !
BMW Engines are known to be good and outstanding in performance and last a very long time if you warm the Engine proper up before driving it hard on a daily base.
Second as they said the Engine was running non stop so the engine had no time to build any carbon build up sludge or condensation of water in the crank housing together with the oil.
That would have been occurred if the engine would have been driven on and off for short period of times.
Engine killers are short runs where the system has no time to get to full operating temperature in order to run efficient like Catalytic converter metal expansion between piston block and so on

Gamite
04-13-2009, 06:27 AM
That just goes to show you, that if you properly maintain your car, it will last forever.

Also, I'm surprised Greenpeace isn't all over these guys :)

SamE30e
04-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Insane. I want that car.

328IScreamer
04-13-2009, 12:54 PM
pretty amazing
hope my engine looks like that! To the best of my knowledge its only ever seen synthetic and premium fuel

stan man
04-14-2009, 03:27 PM
When I opened up my m20 at 350k it had minimal wear as well. I don't think anybody had synthetic in there.

The cool thing is that somebody can sell that saying that it only had like 10 km on the clock.

spoony_prelude
04-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Sorry but... no shit. I hope you guys all know an engine see's virtually no wear while in proper operating conditions. You only wear out your while starting it, and obviously beating the **** out of it. I've seen Taxi's (crown vics/taurus) with over 500k. obviously they are mechanically in rough shape because they are driven hard, but if they were sitting inside on a tread mill I'm pretty sure they would last a million kms too. those tests mean nothing!

Jay

bimmerjoe
04-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Sorry but... no shit. I hope you guys all know an engine see's virtually no wear while in proper operating conditions. You only wear out your while starting it, and obviously beating the **** out of it. I've seen Taxi's (crown vics/taurus) with over 500k. obviously they are mechanically in rough shape because they are driven hard, but if they were sitting inside on a tread mill I'm pretty sure they would last a million kms too. those tests mean nothing!

Jay

listen to this,

my dad has a tranny shop and i saw this old crown vic taxi with only 27000km
i was like dad wtf how does this only have 27000km he said the thing passed 1million and this is his 4th tranny

matty.dc
04-15-2009, 01:18 PM
haha gotta love ford trannys

spoony_prelude
04-15-2009, 05:21 PM
^^^My dads old work van (97 Chevy Savana exteneded) went through 3 trannys. My dad got his new work van mid 2008 (2008 Chevy savana). His old van had about 214kms and was never driven hard. My dad takes care of all his tools/work equipment including the van. Let's see how his new van holds up!

Jay

mirek
04-15-2009, 07:42 PM
someone want to calculate how much it would cost in fuel in todays money\prices

Bullet Ride
04-15-2009, 07:49 PM
someone want to calculate how much it would cost in fuel in todays money\prices

Very rough estimate $110k

andicanada
04-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Please don’t forget the labour cost involved in that for 2 ppl. Standing there for 4 years watching and refilling the tank all the time

Bullet Ride
04-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Please donít forget the labour cost involved in that for 2 ppl. Standing there for 4 years watching and refilling the tank all the time

He was asking how much it would cost for fuel. There would a lot of other costs involved, paying people to drive the car all day, refuel it (like you mentioned), doing scheduled maintenance on it etc...