PDA

View Full Version : Salt deposits and water problems

BabyHerc
04-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Does anybody have any recommendations for removing salt deposits from the inside of my car? Mostly around my gas and brake pedals. Steam cleaner rental from a grocery store?

I also have another problem. I removed my floormats from the backseat yesterday to do some cleaning, and when I put pressure on the floor of the backs seat of the car (e.g. body-weight), I get craploads of water spewing from the holes that keep the rear floormats in place. How would water get in there? More importantly, how do I get it out?

ImolaZHP
04-06-2009, 11:40 PM
for the salt stains, i would use water and woolite, the laundry detergent, mixed 8:1 (8 parts water, 1 part woolite) and a stiff brush.

for the 2nd question, you probably have a defective vapour barrier. try vacuuming out the water and seeing if it returns again. (just make sure you clean that area so it doesn't mold, etc)

Ceeker
04-06-2009, 11:44 PM
you can try CLR for the salt and let it soak for a bit- use a stiff brush to break it down as suggested. Do a colorfast test first to make sure it doesn't fade carpet.

SlammedM3
04-07-2009, 12:27 AM
i wouldnt use CLR - use a carpet cleaner and water and vacuum. Just keep doing it until salt dissapears and the carpet becomes soft again

Gamite
04-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Also, use warm water, it will help dissolve the salt if it's really caked on. CLR seems a bit harsh for your carpets.

Ceeker
04-07-2009, 08:41 AM
I've used CLR and it didn't do anything to harm the carpets personally.

Sure, you can use all of the above and they all work, but how much time do you have(grin)
Take a saturday afternoon out for yourself. caked on thick salt - gonna take a few hours for sure. mostly lots of elbow grease.

Gamite
04-07-2009, 10:47 AM
I have all the time in the world for my car :)