PDA

View Full Version : getting dark outside....quick reply please

e30blue
04-02-2009, 06:28 PM
so i'm changing my alternator and i figured while i was at it i would change the belt as well...i took the old alternator off no problem

but i can't seem to figure out how to take the belt off.

what do i have to take off to change the belt?

S Dee
04-02-2009, 07:16 PM
If I remember correctly, you have to remove the two other belts as well. You have to remove the AC compressor belt as well as the belt running the power steering pump. It's a pain in the a$$ but there's no way around it. If it's not broken worn or cracking in places, don't bother replacing it.

325isdan
04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
I might be confused on this one but if you took off the alternator the belt should have come off also. but you can just cut the belt if you are replacing it.

325isdan
04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
ahh forgot about the A/c ...

S Dee
04-02-2009, 07:20 PM
I always cut the AC belt off anyway. I never had an e30 that the AC still worked in. That way you only have the power steering belt to deal with.

You can get the alternator off by loosening the belt, but can't get the belt off the main pulley without removing the others. You can cut the alternator belt off, but to replace it you'll end up taking the other off anyway.

e30blue
04-02-2009, 07:29 PM
well how do i take the others off? i might as well change them all...the alternator belt is in pretty rough shape and i figure the other ones are as well...where are the tension bolts for the other 2 belts? on the pulley?

S Dee
04-02-2009, 07:41 PM
You have to get at the tensioning setups for both other belts from under the car likely. I'm pretty sure the power steering one is under the power steering pump, and I don't remember if the AC one is on top or below the AC compressor. Similar type setup as the alternator, just one is attached to the power steering pump (driver side) and the other is on the AC compressor (pass side)

Ceeker
04-02-2009, 08:09 PM
the a/c may be above or below. They are all there. have fun...I know it's a drag.......

supernaught
04-02-2009, 08:58 PM
power steering is below the alt, has the same type of tensioner, loosen, pop off the belt, and on the other side of the fan is the ac pump, loosen the pump to remove that belt or cut it if your ac is not working anyways. an get a good worklight

iignite
04-02-2009, 09:19 PM
you might need to loosen the bolts off the rad hose as well. I has just enough room to squeeze the belt past the hose by loosening them. Other than that, you will need to remove the belts from the main pulley