PDA

View Full Version : E30 Alignment

kamus
04-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Soooo... I had a new steering rack and tie rods installed. The installer recommended that I have the alignment checked - he had done the best he could but said my car was "too low for his tools".

So I went to an Active Green & Ross. They said that because my car is lowered, their alignment software is not likely to provide the correct settings. Now I know fo shizzle I'm not the only person with a lowered vehicle - my problem though is that it was done by a previous owner, and I'm not technically minded enough to know the specifications of the changes made, nor the alignment settings to ask for.

So - do I have to tell them the settings I want - or can I safely ask for whatever the computer tells them for an 87 stock setup? Oh and one last point, the car does not pull left or right.. but around 140km/h you can feel a very slight shudder through the steering wheel.

Appreciate any thoughts - including jokes about my being like Cole Trickle.. "they put me in a car and aaa jus drove it" :)

InfiniteDice
04-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Last year I did a self align by driving somewhere level, let go of the wheel etc... turn tie rod 1/4 turn. On and on till it felt right.

I'd say keep the car neutral, if anything a slight toe in. The only adjustment to be made is with the tie-rods. You can remove negative camber with camber correcting strut mounts.

Lowering changes alot of aspects, I'm not going to pretend to be any kind of expert. In my case I adjust it till I can live with it and the car drives straight. It shouldn't pull left or right, and turns should be nice, and responsive.

richie_s999
04-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Go to a shop that specalizes in front end work just get the toe set should only cost around 60 bucks

apriliadr
05-04-2009, 06:39 PM
how much did the steering rack cost including labour installation?

Ceeker
05-04-2009, 08:08 PM
the shudder is most likely wheel balance. it can come and go at different speeds. If the car isn't pulling then you most likely lucked out. However, as suggested wouldn't hurt to check. There is one more thing which I'd like to add; When I worked for bimmer; the guys would add weight to the drivers seat. 150lbs of sand bags and then do the alignment. You want to recreate the actual characteristics - as if someone is actually sitting in the car driving. This is more realistic then just sticking the car on the rack and adjusting it.

Cheers.

everlast
05-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Shudder could be control arm bushing too.

You can do an alignment yourself with string and jackstands and a glossy magazine. I have done it a few times now. Google is your friend. Otherwise, the dealer can do it, their price is actually reasonable and you get a print out with camber, caster and toe at all four corners.

stan man
05-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Shudder could be control arm bushing too.

You can do an alignment yourself with string and jackstands and a glossy magazine. I have done it a few times now. Google is your friend. Otherwise, the dealer can do it, their price is actually reasonable and you get a print out with camber, caster and toe at all four corners.

String worked good for me as well

No abnormal wear on the tires or extra vibrations