PDA

View Full Version : Now what? the car won't start

eta Epsilon
03-30-2009, 08:51 AM
OK, here is the story.

Last week, my batterie died because I left the lights on.:(
My friend boosted me.

This past saturday, I re-wire the speakers of my car. Everything was working just fine. I did not tried to start the car, but the radio was playing.

Sunday afternoon, I tried to start the car. Nothing, nada, niet. Nothing was moving in the dash.
I boosted the E30 with my other car. I left it run for about 15 minutes.
I turned off the car. I turned it on right away and it worked.

Got out this morning, tried to start the car...nothing. Not even a sign of life.*uzi*:mad:

I your opinion, do you think the batterie can only be completely dead?
Is it possible that I fried something while installing the radio that could allow the batterie to lose all it's power?

I'm open to suggestions!!!

punnzzells
03-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Sounds like you have a dead cell in your battery.... however, it takes about 40 minutes for the battery to fully charge.

try boosting it and go driving for 30 - 40 minutes, then come back.... let the car sit for an hour or two, then try to start it up.....

if it doesn't want to start.... sounds like a dead cell.

eta Epsilon
03-30-2009, 09:39 AM
If I bring my dead batterie to Canadian tire, can they confirm if I have a dead cell?

matty.dc
03-30-2009, 09:53 AM
i dont know how there battery testers work, but it will in one way or another will tell them youre battery is gone if thats the case.

lvan
03-30-2009, 09:55 AM
^ Yes they can. I brought my in and they tested. I would do that first. You got nothing to lose. In case if you got a good battery, was your starter changed recently? I would say you have a bettery problem.

eta Epsilon
03-30-2009, 10:04 AM
No, I've installed a new radio, but everything was working after the install.
I'll try CT first.

richie_s999
03-30-2009, 10:16 AM
get an OPTIMA battery they are the only ones worth buying!!!!1

eta Epsilon
03-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Why?
Is Optima batterie really better than the other?

everlast
03-30-2009, 12:45 PM
A load test at CT should tell you if the battery is good or bad. You should also check the voltage of the car when running; it should be around 13.5V to 14V when all accessories are off, and with all on (with high beam lights, rear defogger, heater fan at 4) it shouldn't drop below 13V.

If you take care of your battery (never let it get low or die) then most any battery will do. Likely when it died recently, one cell either sulfated or warped the plates and caused them to touch, rendering the battery garbage.

Letting a battery go dead is the worst thing you can do to it.

eta Epsilon
03-30-2009, 08:12 PM
I went to C.T. to test the batterie.
RIP*angel*

I got a new one. I installed it and the car is alive once more.*par-t*

Now, if it does not start tomorrow morning, I have a real problem...

eta Epsilon
03-31-2009, 08:36 AM
Started the car this morning, everything seems normal.

Drove for a while, then notice the batterie light was on in the dash.

Looked in the rear view mirror and...holy***t there was a lot of white smoke at the back of the car.

I pulled out to the nearest gas station.

1. There is now a liquid in the tray that support the batterie. Can the batterie spill? If yes, what could cause that? I bought the batterie last night!!!

2. I opened the hood, and I think there was some coolant spilled.

3. There was a liquid on the front of the engine, between the block and the fan. I was dress for work, so I could not really investigate.

Any ideas?
Sometimes I wish I never bought that car...

everlast
03-31-2009, 10:58 AM
That does not sound good. It also sounds like completely separate problems.

1. The battery can spill. It has a vent tube on one side; did you hook the small rubber hose up to it? The battery may have been overfilled. That is acid: wash it off carefully and don't get it on your skin.

2. Coolant doesn't spill, it leaks.

3. The description of the white smoke + coolant under the hood sounds like your head gasket took a shit. That means your motor is burning coolant, which is mostly water. The white smoke is steam + coolant smoke.

Check the coolant level, and examine the coolant color in the overflow tank. Also pull the oil cap off and look at the oil in under the valve cover. Does it all look normal? Or do you see a milkshake color?

eta Epsilon
03-31-2009, 11:03 AM
1. I did not connect the tube. I did not know there was a tube. I'll check that out.

2. I'll chek the oil tonight. I left the car at a gas station...

Damn, I'm gonna place that money pit and let it rust away...

That does not sound good. It also sounds like completely separate problems.

1. The battery can spill. It has a vent tube on one side; did you hook the small rubber hose up to it? The battery may have been overfilled. That is acid: wash it off carefully and don't get it on your skin.

2. Coolant doesn't spill, it leaks.

3. The description of the white smoke + coolant under the hood sounds like your head gasket took a shit. That means your motor is burning coolant, which is mostly water. The white smoke is steam + coolant smoke.

Check the coolant level, and examine the coolant color in the overflow tank. Also pull the oil cap off and look at the oil in under the valve cover. Does it all look normal? Or do you see a milkshake color?

everlast
03-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Is your battery in the trunk or under the hood?

eta Epsilon
03-31-2009, 11:09 AM
in the trunk

Do you have any idea why the battery light is on in the dash?

lvan
03-31-2009, 11:11 AM
^ your alternator could be going. That is if you got a decent battery. Do your headlights go brighter at night when you give it gas?

eta Epsilon
03-31-2009, 11:14 AM
I bought the battery last night!!!! It's brand new!!|!

everlast
03-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Battery light: alternator. Your battery was new and freshly charged, so it didn't show up until the battery started to die, ie, after a period of running the car. You need to test the car's voltage with a meter, but I bet that's why your last battery was weak. Or, a dead battery or a shorted one can ruin the alternator since it is trying to charge something that is shorted or draining badly.

There should be a small rubber tube that goes out the drain flap towards the ground. This should be connected to the vent line on the battery.

5thseries
03-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Buy my taurus, the stupid thing isnt gone yet:mad::mad:

eta Epsilon
04-01-2009, 06:47 AM
no thaks, I have enough problems

everlast
04-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Update? What is happening?

eta Epsilon
04-01-2009, 11:01 AM
It's now at the garage. They will check it out this morning.
I drove it last night from the gas station to the garage. There was some strange noises coming from under the hood and the rmp was not stable.

I'll keep you guys updated

punnzzells
04-01-2009, 11:46 AM
sounds like you have a faulty alternator and/or your wiring is keeping something on to drain your battery...

everlast
04-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Alternator is easy to find. Leaking head gasket: not so much.

eta Epsilon
04-01-2009, 01:13 PM
hey guy, just in case I need one, anybody as a alternator for a 86 325e?

supernaught
04-01-2009, 01:36 PM
ive got one for an M20, not sure if they're compatible, never played with an e

eta Epsilon
04-01-2009, 01:37 PM
It looks like i was a bit lucky in my bad luck.:rolleyes:

The strap that gives power to the water pump and to the alternator broke down.
So no more water to the engine, and no more power to the battery...*thmbsdwn*
The pressure build-up in the radiator causes the coolant to be ejected from the system, so that explain the steam.

I was told the engine did not suffer from it...
The strap will be replaced this afternoon. They will let the engine run for about 45 minutes just to be sure everything is fine.

If it's only that and that there is no permanent damages to the car, I will pray the lord tonight...*angel*

I'll keep you guys updated.

supernaught
04-01-2009, 01:39 PM
well that is pretty lucky, shame you didnt notice the belt failure before.
Hope all goes well

Dado 540
04-01-2009, 01:46 PM
While you at it clean the battery clamps/connectors. If there is any corrosion on them it could cause problems.

And look at the brighter side, you now know that batterie is actually spelled battery, just kidding i had to.

eta Epsilon
04-01-2009, 01:56 PM
While you at it clean the battery clamps/connectors. If there is any corrosion on them it could cause problems.

And look at the brighter side, you now know that batterie is actually spelled battery, just kidding i had to.

F*** you!
Kidding, I can take a good joke when I deserve it.
Hey, I'm learning here! *wave*

Dado 540
04-01-2009, 02:00 PM
hahah good.

So is there any build up on your clamps whiteish/greenish powder like substance?

eta Epsilon
04-01-2009, 02:08 PM
I don't think so, I unplugged the BATTERY very often last week-end when I installed the new radio, and they looked clean. But I guess It can't be bad to clean them anyway.

supernaught
04-01-2009, 02:12 PM
F*** you!
Kidding, I can take a good joke when I deserve it.
Hey, I'm learning here! *wave*

Are you originally from Quebec? I thought all french speaking Quebecers said **** at the end of a sentence(every sentence).

everlast
04-01-2009, 02:22 PM
LOL, wow you're lucky.

eta Epsilon
04-01-2009, 02:45 PM
I am, and I'm proud of it...sometimes:huh?:

Most of us say the F work pretty often :D
But it does not have the same meaning here. Or maybe should I say that most peoples don't know the meaning...

I go in Western Canada every 2 weeks for work, so I try not to use it too often when I go there.:D

Are you originally from Quebec? I thought all french speaking Quebecers said **** at the end of a sentence(every sentence).

eta Epsilon
04-01-2009, 02:45 PM
I hope I'm lucky. I'll get the confirmation by 5 tonight

eta Epsilon
04-01-2009, 04:35 PM
The car is ready to go!

They changed 3 or 4 straps (AC, alternator...) and they drained and changed the coolant.

They let the car run for 2 x 15 minutes and they told me it ran like a champ.

I really need to be more carefull with that toy.

Love/hate relation on the horizon.

Thanks for all your advice and comments. Now, let's do a party at my place in Quebec.:D

supernaught
04-01-2009, 04:48 PM
great.
Forget about that hate part of the relationship, you'll never stay mad.

everlast
04-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Glad it all worked out. It's like the game of golf: you might hate it all day, but it only takes one moment of pure enjoyment to make you want to do it again. And just like the E30, sometimes one moment per day is about all you get.