PDA

View Full Version : LF: strut insert ring (as per RealOEM) for Bilstein

TopSpeed
03-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Looking for number 6 on the diagram for a Blistein Sport strut insert. Anyone?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/m/i/3.png

E30M42cab
03-18-2009, 05:06 PM
whats the matter with picking some up from the dealer?

TopSpeed
03-18-2009, 10:57 PM
sort of on a budget here ... dealership is last resort

richie_s999
03-19-2009, 12:12 AM
if its the same peice as OEM I am sure I can toss one in when you pick up the motor this weekend.

TopSpeed
04-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Anyone??? Trying to save some money by not going with the dealer ...

InfiniteDice
04-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Most of those components are under 12$.... at the dealer.

TopSpeed
04-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Most of those components are under 12$.... at the dealer.

Try $75 a pop!

andicanada
04-16-2009, 07:55 PM
if i remember right the stock once from the dealer wont fit the bilstein shocks i was having the same problem
but i solved the problem by buying the shocks taken the part out i needed and returning them with the oem once

cheap fast and you search has a end soon

TopSpeed
04-16-2009, 08:02 PM
I think that's the reason why I got these Billy's so cheap! Because the seller couldn't find the rings

andicanada
04-16-2009, 08:05 PM
did you talk to bilstein direct yet ?they have a real good customer service !

and ship very fast also

InfiniteDice
04-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Haha 75$ well sometimes things are priced insane.

Looks like a fancy spacer to me, treat it as such; I'm sure for 30 or 40 you could get someone to make these for you.

Stack a bunch of washers and weld them together, could be one of those things where you either spend the $$$ or get creative.

E30M42cab
04-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Lemme get this straight. We're talking about the external threaded ring that holds the strut inside the housing? You have to heat the thing up and crank it off with a pipe wrench, which pretty much ruins the part, but they're not $75! Try $20 at the most. If you really want, you can buy the BMW special tool to remove them properly. I bought these 2 years ago from the dealer when I lowered my cab, and they weren't exspensive. It doesn't matter if they're bilsteins or oem stock struts going into the housing, the ring is just an oem part.

Axxe
04-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Lemme get this straight. We're talking about the external threaded ring that holds the strut inside the housing? You have to heat the thing up and crank it off with a pipe wrench, which pretty much ruins the part, but they're not $75! Try $20 at the most. If you really want, you can buy the BMW special tool to remove them properly. I bought these 2 years ago from the dealer when I lowered my cab, and they weren't exspensive. It doesn't matter if they're bilsteins or oem stock struts going into the housing, the ring is just an oem part.

Bilsteins are inverted strut therefore the stock collar ring does not fit, requiring a bilstein-specific part.

craz azn
04-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Bilsteins are inverted strut therefore the stock collar ring does not fit, requiring a bilstein-specific part.

Correcto. And there are different diameter Bilstein nuts too, depending how big the shock cartridge is. So be mindful which shock nuts you will order for.

FYI I do believe Koni shocks use the stock OEM nuts however.

echo
04-18-2009, 08:25 AM
It's called a gland nut. They're hard to get. Bilstein suppliers have to order them from Bilstein. They come with new shocks, so sometimes you can get them cheap from a supplier who has replaced some bilsteins for a customer who had some already, so there are spare gland nuts. Also, the special tool used to come with every set of shocks, but not anymore, so unless you are lucky and your supplier has a few spare ones kicking around (unlikely as they used to throw them out as they got a new one with each set of shocks), then you need to use the pipe wrench trick, or use a drift on the notch in the top and tap with a hammer. Although I have never needed to heat them, and never destroyed one removing it.

The seals inside go, but they are about $10 or less for new seals and take about 1min to change.

To whoever suggested they are a glorified spacer, you don't have a clue what you are talking about. They hold the insert into the strut and have an internal seal that goes around the shock piston. You would spend more than the cost of buying real ones having one machined to a fine enough tolerance.

There are 2 part numbers that fit the e30 facelift struts and more for pre f/l. Some have an internal thread and others external depending on the strut they are going into.

I have two brand new ones spare from my new bilsteins, but I'm afraid freight from NZ might make them rather expensive.

TopSpeed
04-18-2009, 08:32 AM
The funny thing is ... it's a BMW Bilstein shock. I will take some pics for people to understand why OEM regular shaft shock ring will not work. Axxe got it right ... it's the inverted shock. It looks almost like the #2 in the photo on the top of the page.

echo
04-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Correct. If you replace regular e30 shocks with e30 factory bilsteins, you will need the bilstein gland nut. All of the e30 shocks are inverted like that BTW.

Photo would be good as I'll be able to see which strut-top you have, although I suspect it will be the one with the internal thread being a f/l.