PDA

View Full Version : thinking of a e39

jmack
03-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Seems there are some deals to be had if all the paper works are in order.

I am tired of daily driving my Miata (has Tein coilovers and is dropped) and am thinking of taking the plunge into the BMW world. Always wanted a e39, specifically the '03 sport but I think it's out of range at this point. The Miata is really for the track and the roads in and around Toronto are just not good to be driving on all the time.

I'm somewhat mechanically minded, have tools and did suspension/rollbar/exhaust/header and number of other things to my Miata. Still have to do brake upgrade, bushing install and some head work :(

My ideal e39:
2000-2001 540i
6 speed
less than 175k
service records
silver/black int if possible,
$7000-9000+ depending mostly on vehicle history, condition and PPI

Whats the best way to handle the PPI? If private sale, the seller should have no issues doing this right? What's the ballpark estimate on a PPI? Where to take it? What about a dealer car? Naturally I would prefer a well-kept private car with proper services and records... they are out there :) I did some search on PPI etc but could not find alot of good info.

Looking for recommendations on shops and what maintenance I can do myself, outside of minor engine maintenance.

This looks like a great forum and I hope to be able to update my profile with a 540i at some point :)

Some ads I have been looking at:

http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details.asp?mknm=688&Region=-1&subcategory=&CAT=1&ADID=7540656&ADS=7540656|

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=1705098&adid=7460468

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=1648605&adid=7386711

Blue looks REALLY nice but it has been up there for some time so who knows, maybe they are just asking too much.

Miata pic:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh28/jmack_2008/IMG_0587.jpg

Dado 540
03-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Its funny how they all say its M Package lol.

The last link is the only M Pack

jmack
03-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Its funny how they all say its M Package lol.

The last link is the only M Pack

Yeah this term seems to be thrown around quite a bit :)

bmwm5lover
03-15-2009, 02:44 PM
OMG! That last liquid blue one is beautiful!

jmack
03-15-2009, 02:48 PM
OMG! That last liquid blue one is beautiful!

Yeah this ad has been up for a while... I remember seeing it when I was looking at 540's last year. Hopefully it has been sitting in a nice warm garage at this dealers :)

bimmerjoe
03-15-2009, 03:12 PM
really those cars do probably have the m pack. not the bumpers. before 2001 it came with steering wheel suspension and door jams maby a few other things that i am forgetting

jmack
03-15-2009, 03:16 PM
shift knob :)

Yeah the top 2 are 2000's, blue is 2001.

Qube
03-15-2009, 10:54 PM
The seats on the last one actually still look ok. Usually beige/taupe wears badly.

Trouble65
03-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Seems there are some deals to be had if all the paper works are in order.

I am tired of daily driving my Miata (has Tein coilovers and is dropped) and am thinking of taking the plunge into the BMW world. Always wanted a e39, specifically the '03 sport but I think it's out of range at this point. The Miata is really for the track and the roads in and around Toronto are just not good to be driving on all the time.

I'm somewhat mechanically minded, have tools and did suspension/rollbar/exhaust/header and number of other things to my Miata. Still have to do brake upgrade, bushing install and some head work :(

My ideal e39:
2000-2001 540i
6 speed
less than 175k
service records
silver/black int if possible,
$7000-9000+ depending mostly on vehicle history, condition and PPI

Whats the best way to handle the PPI? If private sale, the seller should have no issues doing this right? What's the ballpark estimate on a PPI? Where to take it? What about a dealer car? Naturally I would prefer a well-kept private car with proper services and records... they are out there :) I did some search on PPI etc but could not find alot of good info.

Looking for recommendations on shops and what maintenance I can do myself, outside of minor engine maintenance.

This looks like a great forum and I hope to be able to update my profile with a 540i at some point :)

Some ads I have been looking at:

http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details.asp?mknm=688&Region=-1&subcategory=&CAT=1&ADID=7540656&ADS=7540656|

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=1705098&adid=7460468

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=1648605&adid=7386711

Blue looks REALLY nice but it has been up there for some time so who knows, maybe they are just asking too much.

Miata pic:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh28/jmack_2008/IMG_0587.jpg

Sweet Miata!

TNation
03-16-2009, 09:39 PM
nice Miata! great handling car man.

only the last 540i is an M pack as people have pointed out... also, that car looks mint. Interior looks great, well worth looking at, good interiors, even if they have been detailed, often show how the PO maintained it. Plus that color is ... sexy

jmack
03-17-2009, 11:48 PM
nice Miata! great handling car man.

only the last 540i is an M pack as people have pointed out... also, that car looks mint. Interior looks great, well worth looking at, good interiors, even if they have been detailed, often show how the PO maintained it. Plus that color is ... sexy

Got some details on the blue 540i.. lawyer owned, service records, all service done at BMW dealer in London. They will take it to a shop for PPI if I ask them to. The place selling it deals with higher end trades etc and the guy was nice. Owner of the BMW was a good friend of the dealer blah blah..

Apparently the front bumper was repainted due to stone chips etc, needs to be checked out. Carfax checks out, no Carproof yet. The rims have slight curb rash which is annoying considering everything else looks nice from the pics. But really I would ditch those for a set of M parallels anyways to complete it :)

Dealer is asking $12,900, reduced from $13,900. I might go check it out.. just hoping the tax return shows up soon!! :)

It's a little out of my range but if it's close to perfect given the mileage I would be willing to part with close to the asking price.

More pics etc:
http://carclublondon.com/show.php?id=220&category=&make=BMW&model=&srt=model_year%20DESC&p=5&submit=Search&page=1

Thoughts? Anyone know of any independent BMW shops in the London area? What is the consensus on BMW doing the PPI?

TNation
03-18-2009, 01:39 AM
See if you can get it for $12k plus tax. $12900 is a little hefty.
Yeah BMW dealerships are all hacks, but sure, get a PPI done by them for sure. And its a used car, you can't expect it to be perfect. And one owner is awesome! Get a carproof, PPI, $12k, and double check the cooling system/look for electrical gremlins.

bimmerjoe
03-18-2009, 10:10 AM
How many klicks sre on this thing? I didn't catch it.

jmack
03-18-2009, 10:52 AM
171k :/

bimmerjoe
03-18-2009, 08:57 PM
well if the thing has full service history then your golden. i got lucky with my car because the previous owner took it in to bmw for everything including washer fluid top ups.
i bought mine with 200k

MLue1
03-19-2009, 12:13 PM
well if the thing has full service history then your golden.IMO thats just a start... at 171K there is alot of things that the car will need fairly quickly. Even if the car was BMW maintained it doesn't mean they always do everything required. Suspension and brakes are usually fine but it is at that milage that maintenance is starting to come due. I doubt that the tranny fluid was replaced at all and the water pump is probably original with the plastic impeller; valve cover and valley pan gasket and intake gaskets and a battery will be required soon. If everything was done and I mean everything then it would be worth the asking price.

jmack
03-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Going to check it out tommorow. I'll take some more pics too.

mazdaRXwhat
03-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Hey

About a month ago I picked up a 2003 540i sport (with the M package minus the bumpers). It has 107K on the odometor in near perfect condition with some minor paint chipping on the hood, brilliant silver on black leather and believe it ot not, it still smells new. I managed to get it off the lot for $14k taxes in from a dealer in the east end.

This is my first bmw, made the switch when my lease on my RX8 was up. Definetly not my last though. Easily the BEST car Ive ever driven.

I say go for it, if you can find the one you want...you wont regret it!

jmack
03-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Update...

Saw the car, took it for a drive.. It was pretty awesome and TIGHT on the road. Couldn't find much wrong with the test drive side of things..

That said there are some minor cosmetic problems (all no big deal) right now I am working with BMW to have them take a look at it. If all goes well.. I will hopefully pick it up.

Took some more detailed pics for you guys.

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh28/jmack_2008/e39/?albumview=slideshow

mazdaRXwhat
03-23-2009, 11:56 AM
I agree with the guys...definetly get an independent dealer to give it a once over. Having only 1 owner, this is definetly a good catch! Awesome color too...I say gor for it. And with a manual you can definetly appreciate the power of that V8!

Good luck!

jmack
03-23-2009, 11:59 AM
I agree with the guys...definetly get an independent dealer to give it a once over. Having only 1 owner, this is definetly a good catch! Awesome color too...I say gor for it. And with a manual you can definetly appreciate the power of that V8!

Good luck!

Well, I don't know of any independent dealers in the London area.. plus the Town and Country in London is familiar with the car.. also just down the street from the dealership. I know it's not ideal but right now it's the best I can do on that front. Hopefully that and the service records will paint a good picture of whether this car is worth the price or not.

njansenv
03-29-2009, 09:03 PM
I'd expect all 4 tires to match at that price, they don't: and the left front tire has cupping indicative of a worn strut or something else that's a little funky. The undertray should be fixed, etc. I'd be pretty careful: it's one thing to need to fix things on a 6-7k 540i, but I'd want a pretty well maintained car for 12-13k.

jmack
03-29-2009, 09:42 PM
I'd expect all 4 tires to match at that price, they don't: and the left front tire has cupping indicative of a worn strut or something else that's a little funky. The undertray should be fixed, etc. I'd be pretty careful: it's one thing to need to fix things on a 6-7k 540i, but I'd want a pretty well maintained car for 12-13k.

Yeah. It's priced a little high. The suspension, brakes and abs were replaced in 2006 or about 40k ago. While driving there was nothing out of the ordinary, no strange clunks or noises while driving or turning, and probably the different tires are not helping the wear situation.

The good:
- nice color, seems to be rare in e39s - topaz blue metallic
- interior is a 9/10
- fully optioned
- 6 speed :)
- body/paint is in very good shape, maybe 8.5/10, just needs a good detailing
- mechanically no MAJOR issues according to BMW (I know, I know..)
- suspension, brakes, abs replaced in 2006, regular maint also performed
- all electrics are operational, one or two dead pixels in stereo display
- new battery
- test drive yielded big smiles, nothing negative (took my dad with me, up until then he thought his new Mazda 5 was 'really nice', he was pretty blown away with this 8 year old car)

The bad:
- damaged undertray ($442 parts/labor to replace from BMW, need to source this part)
- coolant leak at overflow bottle
- needs valve gaskets replacement
- needs rear cv seal replacement
- right side fog light needs replacement
- need to verify if cooling system has been replaced
- mismatched tires
- minor cosmetic stuff... mirror de-silvering etc.
- minor rim rashing (but spare is perfect and same rim type)
- no floor mats (where is the best place to get replacements?)

I'm not expecting any car to be perfect, and I can live with the stuff above as it's not a deal breaker, needs a servicing basically. What's the saying, pay now or pay later... possibly a bit of both in this deal.

MLue1
03-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Yeah. It's priced a little high. The suspension, brakes and abs were replaced in 2006 or about 40k ago. While driving there was nothing out of the ordinary, no strange clunks or noises while driving or turning, and probably the different tires are not helping the wear situation.

The bad:
- damaged undertray ($442 parts/labor to replace from BMW, need to source this part)
- coolant leak at overflow bottle
- needs valve gaskets replacement
- needs rear cv seal replacement
- right side fog light needs replacement
- need to verify if cooling system has been replaced
- mismatched tires
Is this what the PPI revealed?
Read my post above, if it needs all this IMO it would NOT be worth the asking price in this market. Especially if you have to get shop has to do the work. If you got most of the major stuff fixed and you had to sell it you would be "under water" and wouldn't come close to getting back to even money.

If you really must have this one, try to get the dealer to fix as much as possible especially the cooling system (rad, expansion tank, hoses and maybe the water pump and thermostat.

Good luck on your decission.

DINAN 3
03-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Way more than 2 dead Pixels in mid radio unit + also lots of dead ones inside the speedometer.
From your pix that exhaust seems to have been pushed off-centre and down.
Also, that car is far from fully optioned.....no rear door airbags...no EGDO...no PDC...no CD changer...unsure about rear sunshade ?
The car is also due for an Inspection I.
I can easily ad up 4-5K in service issues.
Don't trust BMW dealers.....take it to andependant BMW shop...issues on a 540 are a pricey fix.
Don't let the colour cloud your judgement.
You now have documented proof that the price is too high.
Personally, I wouldn't pay a dime above 10K.

jmack
03-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks, definitely lots to consider here. I will let you guys know how it goes.

The exhaust hanger needs to be replaced from what I could see.

TNation
03-30-2009, 01:29 PM
From all the things you've listed a 10-10.5k car. Paying more than that and you're overpaying.

Maxium
03-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Jmack

I too looked at this car and they have had it there for quite sometime and he will not move off there price i offered them $11,500 .00 for it you may want to shop around .Is it a 6 speed you are looking for or a auto if so what year i know on autotrader there are a few new listings .

Cheers

Mark

jmack
03-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Jmack

I too looked at this car and they have had it there for quite sometime and he will not move off there price i offered them $11,500 .00 for it you may want to shop around .Is it a 6 speed you are looking for or a auto if so what year i know on autotrader there are a few new listings .

Cheers

Mark

Hey Mark,

Good to know. Yeah I am looking for a 6 speed M / sport package.. 2001 or later. I have been keeping up with the Autotrader listings but not seeing much there that is worth looking at.

windwagen
03-30-2009, 10:11 PM
That's a tough call.

CD changer missing is weird - however, nowadays an MP3 option would be a better fix for that.
I would miss the trunk pass through for my windsurf gear, but that's just me.
Wtf is with the exhaust??!!
Mis match tires have to go. What are Fuzions anyway?

Maybe the dealer can drop the price some more in light of all this....

jmack
03-30-2009, 10:23 PM
According to the option sheet:

0650 CD Player
0677 HiFi system professional
0694 Preparation for BMW 6 CD changer

So it doesn't actually say there was/is a 6 disc changer, only the 'preparation for' which is funny if you are not actually ordering it?

The exhaust hanger needs to be replaced, plus the camera angle makes it look worse than it is.

I am going to see if they will drop the price and agree to fix the overflow leak as well which should be a no-brainer if they want to make any potential sale.

Fuzions are somewhat low budget tires that cost $160-180 per tire. I'm guessing the PO put those on the rear since they need replacement quicker than the fronts.

porksoda
03-31-2009, 12:32 AM
almost all lci e39s had prewire for cd changer... whether you ordered one or not.

For matts n such i would order from US you will almost save 50%... i priced out my rubber matts and trunk liner and it was something like 700 plus tax i got 320ish after us conversion from states .. tischer bmw. They dont ship to canada anymore so you will have to send it to someone you know in states and then reship.

failing that you can pick up used ones from forums.

DINAN 3
03-31-2009, 01:21 AM
This is how I would buy this car:

Present them with a copy of PPI + expense report to fix all issues.
Offer 10K (w/ 1K deposit to show you're serious) for the car in "as is" condition.
You will fix all issues and certify + e-test the car (I wouldn't trust them to fix squat)
Offer valid for 48hrs + clearly state that after that you will persue another car.

MLue1
03-31-2009, 10:04 PM
... tischer bmw. They dont ship to canada anymore so you will have to send it to someone you know in states and then reship.SORRY FOR THE HI-JACK. WTF....are you kidding me Tischer no longer ships to Canada....*thmbsdwn* When did this happen I last placed a big order in November. I normally ship the BMW parts from Tischer via USPS directly to my house but I've shipped or packages to a place in Niagra Falls, 5 minutes from the Rainbow bridge. That place is:

CAN-AM MAILBOX RENTAL
2315 WHIRLPOOL STREET
NIAGARA FALLS, NY 14305
PHONE OR FAX (716) 284-6245
Email: canam@aol.com
Web Site: http://canammailbox.tripod.com/

Just have the sender address the package to your name c/o Can-Am Mailbox Rentals address. If the company does not ship to mailboxes then just leave out the Can-Am Mail Rental Name and ship it anyways, it will get there.
The guy who operates it, his name is Bob Seager (ya like the singer) he is pretty cool. You are not really renting a mailbox so don't worry, he charges about $5 per package (he accepts Canadian money). You can call your credit card company and add their address in the Notes or Comments area as an alternate address for shipping.

windwagen
03-31-2009, 10:09 PM
That's a sweet service - thanks for the advice!

jmack
04-01-2009, 10:38 AM
I use US Address on Witmer Rd. This is just outside of the Lewiston border crossing. They only accept American cash but are nice to deal with, unless you have a ton of packages that take up all their space :)

I sent a ton of parts there when I was building my Miata last year. But yeah you also need to add the address to your CC company file, so there won't be any issues when you ship online.

MLue1
04-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Jmack, since you chimed in on this I don't feel so guilty going off topic. Can-Am Mailbox Rentals will receive packages, engines, transmissions and even a whole shell of a car and the cost is really reasonable. The largest thing I saw was the rear half of a '57 Chevy some guy wanted to import into Canada.

So what is what is happening with your search?

porksoda
04-02-2009, 08:42 AM
SORRY FOR THE HI-JACK. WTF....are you kidding me Tischer no longer ships to Canada....*thmbsdwn* When did this happen I last placed a big order in November. I normally ship the BMW parts from Tischer via USPS directly to my house but I've shipped or packages to a place in Niagra Falls, 5 minutes from the Rainbow bridge. That place is:

CAN-AM MAILBOX RENTAL
2315 WHIRLPOOL STREET
NIAGARA FALLS, NY 14305
PHONE OR FAX (716) 284-6245
Email: canam@aol.com
Web Site: http://canammailbox.tripod.com/

Just have the sender address the package to your name c/o Can-Am Mailbox Rentals address. If the company does not ship to mailboxes then just leave out the Can-Am Mail Rental Name and ship it anyways, it will get there.
The guy who operates it, his name is Bob Seager (ya like the singer) he is pretty cool. You are not really renting a mailbox so don't worry, he charges about $5 per package (he accepts Canadian money). You can call your credit card company and add their address in the Notes or Comments area as an alternate address for shipping.

hehe i used them before well i did not it was a friend who was going so i got some stuff shipped as well...

Tischer changed a few policies i don't know when but they stopped shipping to canada i was told... i personally havent shipped to canada from them yet but a few many said and i think even evan from tischer said no more canada.

You guys live near the border or drive there? For me i rather get a freind to ship it to me too much time out of my day or weekend to drive down to get it.

hows the border crossing nowadays still busy and super anal or its better?

jmack
04-02-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm sure this will disappoint some following this thread, but I am going ahead with the Topaz Blue 540i. Is it the 'best' deal out there? Probably not.. Am I overpaying, yes, that has been established. Is this car a 'bad' buy.. I don't think so. Am I an idiot.. maybe. LOL. Anyways I'm not stressing too much about it as I want to enjoy the damn thing a bit :)

On the market at this point I don't see anything comparable, as I really like the M package, most don't have that, and are automatic, no thanks. This car does not look 'abused'. Every purchase is a risk, and this is no different. But I am comfortable at this point in moving forward with it based on the PPI, my research into the car and the test drive.

Anyways I'm picking it up on Saturday. The overflow bottle has been replaced by the dealer as well as the mats, mirror and rear emblem.

I think it will be a great addition to my 'collection' (next up is a 87 930, hopes and dreams) ... I work at home so I don't daily drive and have extra funds for a tune up and a cooling system replacement, although the mechanic said the rad 'was in good shape'. Will get replaced anyway.

When I bought my '90 Miata for $5000 (retailed for $18,000 in 1990) 2 years ago it had 234k, a mint body and paint, and I spent $1300 at Mazda to have the timing belt, seals and water pump replaced. Will likely do the same type of thing with the 540 - valve cover gaskets, cooling etc, I have budgeted about $1500 if necessary. Please don't take that as comparing maintenance of a reliable car like the Mazda over BMW though, I'm fully prepared for what will pop up :) I am keeping these cars for as long as I can, so they ultimately fall under 'project' cars one way or the other and I am not planning on cutting corners with the maintenance.

The 540i does need a little TLC in some areas but I'm excited to get started on it, have gained a ton of knowledge in a short time. First up will be polishing the headlight covers...

Incidentally, having sensed my defection, the Miata's battery has totally died on me before I could get it in the backyard for it's over haul :(

Maxium
04-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Jmack

Good for you sometimes you have to buy nthe car thats right for you at the end of the weather youn pay to much or not its the car you want and the color is great and the pkg on the car . I can relate i just bouight my wife a 540i and had a few issues just got a service 1&2 done done today and the car got a green light just some minor issues i guess you gotta pay to play
cheers i hope you enjoy your new ride .

Mark

DINAN 3
04-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Will likely do the same type of thing with the 540 - valve cover gaskets, cooling etc, I have budgeted about $1500 if necessary.

You're gonna need at least 3-4K to get this car running properly.
Forget the Mazda days.....had a 1988 MX-6GT (Turbo) myself...540 will run you 3x that to maintain.
Don't mean to scare you, but your maintanance budget is VERY optimistic.

Good Luck !

MLue1
04-02-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm sure this will disappoint some following this thread, but I am going ahead with the Topaz Blue 540i. Is it the 'best' deal out there? Probably not.. Am I overpaying, yes, that has been established. Is this car a 'bad' buy.. I don't think so. Am I an idiot.. maybe. LOL. Anyways I'm not stressing too much about it as I want to enjoy the damn thing a bit :)

On the market at this point I don't see anything comparable, as I really like the M package, most don't have that, and are automatic, no thanks. This car does not look 'abused'. Every purchase is a risk, and this is no different. But I am comfortable at this point in moving forward with it based on the PPI, my research into the car and the test drive.

Anyways I'm picking it up on Saturday. The overflow bottle has been replaced by the dealer as well as the mats, mirror and rear emblem... .

...I think it will be a great addition to my 'collection' (next up is a 87 930, hopes and dreams) ... I work at home so I don't daily drive and have extra funds for a tune up and a cooling system replacement, although the mechanic said the rad 'was in good shape'. Will get replaced anyway.I'm fully prepared for what will pop up :) I am keeping these cars for as long as I can, so they ultimately fall under 'project' cars one way or the other and I am not planning on cutting corners with the maintenance.

...The 540i does need a little TLC in some areas but I'm excited to get started on it, have gained a ton of knowledge in a short time...Jmack, congratlations on you purchase, only you know which car is right for you. When you are ready to buy the 930 let me know... although I don't have one of those I hang with alot of those guys and can help getting you initiated. BTW there are a few good well maintained 930s for sale right now.

jmack
04-02-2009, 10:49 PM
$1500 off the bat would be a good start, yeah. That wasn't the ENTIRE maintenance budget :)

Where would you spend the other $2500? Is that $2500 parts / labor or $2500 parts / half-DIY etc.

jmack
04-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Jmack, congratlations on you purchase, only you know which car is right for you. When you are ready to buy the 930 let me know... although I don't have one of those I hang with alot of those guys and can help getting you initiated. BTW there are a few good well maintained 930s for sale right now.

Thanks! Incidentally I was just going to browser Autotrader to see what was up there.. were a couple nice 930's a while ago, red and black, would be the big brother to the Miata :)

Sadly it will be a couple years before anything happens on the Porsche front. Well who knows.

Ideal 930:

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=41496&adid=7587578

MLue1
04-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Thanks! Incidentally I was just going to browser Autotrader to see what was up there.. were a couple nice 930's a while ago, red and black, would be the big brother to the Miata :)

Sadly it will be a couple years before anything happens on the Porsche front. Well who knows.

Ideal 930:

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=41496&adid=7587578If you have the option, it is always better to buy an older model 930 from someone in the P-car community as opposed to an unknown. Chances are the other guys can give refferences on , history, the mechanic, or seen the car run at the track etc. If you can afford a 930 and the maintenance, then the 540 will be no problem to afford. Just keep in mind that an engine rebuild on a 930 will cost more than what you are paying for the 540.

Kirk930
04-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Funny enough.....I own a '97 540 and an '87 930. I guess I'm a sucker for maintenance!

If you can do the bulk of the work yourself, the expense is certainly manageable. 911s certainly have their quirks, but the older models are actually very simple mechanically.

If you are serious about a 930 and have $38K burning a hole in your pocket, check this one out:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/911-turbo-930-forum/484193-selling-my-930-a.html

I know Mark personally. The car is immaculate and very well maintained.

ALWAYS get a PPI done and be prepared to "Pay to Play". Parts prices can be a bit steep, and some parts are becoming scarce - primarily some CIS fuel injection parts.

Both cars are great, but very different animals.

jmack
04-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Very nice 930. I won't be buying one for a while though. In the meantime I can keep busy on the 540i.. :)

TNation
04-03-2009, 11:28 AM
^ that's a gorgeous car.
Kirk930, are you super familiar with Porsche's and stuff? Do you know a lot about 996's?

DINAN 3
04-03-2009, 11:47 AM
$1500 off the bat would be a good start, yeah. That wasn't the ENTIRE maintenance budget :)

Where would you spend the other $2500? Is that $2500 parts / labor or $2500 parts / half-DIY etc.

Here is the way I see it (using mostly your list):
*prices are questimates and include labour @$80/hr

The good:
- nice color, seems to be rare in e39s - topaz blue metallic
- interior is a 9/10
- fully optioned
- 6 speed
- body/paint is in very good shape, maybe 8.5/10, just needs a good detailing
- mechanically no MAJOR issues according to BMW (I know, I know..)
- suspension, brakes, abs replaced in 2006, regular maint also performed That's 3 yrs.....# KM's on those brakes ?...potentially another $700+
- all electrics are operational, one or two dead pixels in stereo display Speedometer cluster is $1000 (could eventually pose a safety issue w/out display) & mid radio +/- $400 (used)
- new battery
- test drive yielded big smiles, nothing negative (took my dad with me, up until then he thought his new Mazda 5 was 'really nice', he was pretty blown away with this 8 year old car)

The bad:
- damaged undertray ($442 parts/labor to replace from BMW, need to source this part) Difficult to source elsewhere, so $400
- coolant leak at overflow bottle done
- needs valve gaskets replacement $500+
- needs rear cv seal replacement +/-$400
- right side fog light needs replacement +/-$200
- need to verify if cooling system has been replaced doesn't look like it has, so $900+
- mismatched tires $800+

Missing;

Inspection I $400+++ depending what they truly find at a competent indepent shop
Tranny flush $150
Exhaust work +/-$75

You can pick and choose what really needs to be done (I added up $3000+), but at that mileage (like some other members confirmed) other issues will start popping up and pilling on to your maintenance list, for sure.
I'm not discouraging you from buying this car, but considering the maintenance neglect, I would like to see you buy it for about 10K.

Kirk930
04-03-2009, 11:49 AM
The 930 is my third Porsche (I had two at one point actually), and I'm very much a hands on type of owner. Pulled engines, brake work, suspension, tune-up stuff, basically whatever I can handle.

I'd say I'm quite familiar with the older models; the water-cooled (996) not so much.

Rennlist and Pelican Parts have THE best forums for Porsche info. There is quite an active local group (through Rennlist) that meets every Saturday in Etobicoke, and sets up some cruises every summer. There are also a number of great local shops.

Thinking of a 996??

TNation
04-03-2009, 11:53 AM
^ he decided to just go ahead and buy it, knowing its got a coupe thousand worth of maintainence.

jmack
04-03-2009, 12:05 PM
I talked to RMP about the rear cv seal replacement. The mechanic wanted to see the car because he didn't believe BMW was being accurate there, whatever that is worth. Will be interesting to see what happens.

But yes valve cover gaskets. Got a quote for $400 parts/labor.

Until the display is unreadable / poses a safety issue I don't think it needs to be replaced... I will need to see the rate of pixel death. But $1400? I think if it was really bad I would just wait on a decent used part.

Brakes have about 30k on them so might need replacement soon.

The dealer replaced the fog light.. was just the bulb. I think the cost was $77 though or something like that.

The damage undertray parts I identified from RealOEM. I think it's only the 'Engine Cover Right Lower without Brake Air Channel' which is $145. Other side is same price if it needs it as well. Available from BimmerSpecialist.

Let's see, tires definitely. Was thinking Yokohama S-Drives, $127 USD x 4. Any other recommendations?

Yes on cooling system replacement.

The exhaust hanger needs to be replaced.. that is $20 from what I could find.

So lets see:

Cooling 900 (immediate)
Misc Trim Parts 500
Tires 800
Valve Cover Gaskets 400 (immediate)
Inspection I 450 (immediate)
Tranny Flush $150 (immediate)

Total For Known Issues: $3050
If I did all the major maint up front: $1900+

I can live with that.

Kirk930
04-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Spekaing of maintenance......what is the consensus on changing the "lifetime fill" tranny fluid?? My 540 has 93,000 km.

Am I asking for trouble if I leave it, or if I change it??? I've read many differing opinions on the subject. I personally think it should be changed, but don't want a pooched transmission either.

Trouble65
04-03-2009, 12:14 PM
I

So lets see:

Cooling 900 (immediate)

Valve Cover Gaskets 400 (immediate)

If he needs a new rad the most he is going to pay is $280 just for parts.
Valve cover gasket $125.

Both can be replaced without going to stealership.

jmack
04-03-2009, 12:17 PM
I could deal with doing the rad but for the engine work would probably leave it to more skilled individuals.

But yeah I could save a bundle. Water pump is about $150 ish.

Trouble65
04-03-2009, 12:46 PM
I could deal with doing the rad but for the engine work would probably leave it to more skilled individuals.

Valve cover gasket is easy. First time doing it would take you about 2 hours. You don't touch any internal engine components.

jmack
04-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Valve cover gasket is easy. First time doing it would take you about 2 hours. You don't touch any internal engine components.

I should get a manual.. Is the Bentley manual the preferred source?

Found a DIY article here as well:
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/124059

DINAN 3
04-03-2009, 01:04 PM

+ expansion tank issues + hoses & clamps + BMW coolant (mandatory).
Otherwise, your numbers are about right.

Why didn't you take it to Rocco at RMP for PPI.
He's very good with 5ers (owns a nice one himself) ?

jmack
04-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Why didn't you take it to Rocco at RMP for PPI.
He's very good with 5ers (owns a nice one himself) ?

Would have preferred to do this.. the car was in London though. Didn't seem feasible to drive it 200k there and 200k back for the PPI :)

zubbie
04-03-2009, 03:36 PM
good luck with the purchase. Been there itching to buy. For your own sanity don't look on kijiji or autotrader for a long time as inevitably another "better" deal will soon arrive (it always does) Hopefully your experience will be a positive one.

jmack
04-03-2009, 03:43 PM
good luck with the purchase. Been there itching to buy. For your own sanity don't look on kijiji or autotrader for a long time as inevitably another "better" deal will soon arrive (it always does) Hopefully your experience will be a positive one.

Yeah I hear that. After I bought my Miata I stayed far away from auto trader and all that for quite some time.

MLue1
04-03-2009, 05:17 PM
If you are serious about a 930 and have $38K burning a hole in your pocket, check this one out:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/911-turbo-930-forum/484193-selling-my-930-a.htmlI know that 930 and owner as well, the car is in very good shape, at that price it's already heavily discounted.

Hey Kirk, you're using your Rennlist handle on a BMW forum. If you only have 93,000 km you can still get it changed the tranny fluid, I think160,0000 km is about right but consistent changes will do a tranny alot of good.

jmack
04-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Update: Got the car yesterday. After getting 4 hours sleep the girlfriend and I got up at 6:30, on the train to London at 7:50, in the driver's seat after paper work at 10:20 :)

It's been a blast so far drive back from London was awesome and spent a bit of time booting around town yesterday. So far no issues, this car just HAULS ASS!

jmack
04-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Hey all, I started a maintenance thread for the car for those who are interested:

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1285925#post1285925