PDA

View Full Version : slight ticking sound after engine warms up

Thadose
03-15-2009, 03:51 AM
when the motor is still cold its super quite but around 3-5 mins later u can hear them.. most ppl dont notice but i do lol
its a m10 motor and its carbureted so the sound isnt from the injectors hehe
i believe its the hydraulic lifters but im not sure :s

e30jones
03-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Sound is coming from your rockers (no hydraulic lifters in this engine). They need to be adjusted at regular intervals, but the engine will still sound like a sewing machine. It's the nature of the beast, learn to enjoy it.

Thadose
03-15-2009, 02:45 PM
well i was reading on the internet (wikipedia) that it was hydraulic and that the s14 motor got the solid lifters. also if so either way... why when it warms up and not all the time? believe me when i say that for like the first 5 mins u cant even hear the motor running its very impressive and then it starts ticking... i was thinking thermal expansion on the valve stems?

e30_kid89
03-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Like previously mentioned try a valve adjustment and see what happens. Make sure the motor is stone cold when you do it.

Thadose
03-15-2009, 06:46 PM
i can try but im just trying to make sense of it.. i thought it would make more sense to tick when cold with less thermal expansion it would have a slight gap between mating surfaces and tick? or because of the motor running hotter and metal expanding the cam impacts the valve seats harder cause there is not enough clearance?

InfiniteDice
03-15-2009, 09:14 PM
They all tick, if it ticks more when hot then try a warm adjustment, slightly tighter than spec maybe .11 or .10

#1 Adjust rockers (lash)
#2 Rocker eccentrics or valve ends are worn.
#3 You are running too thin of an oil. Do not run less than 40 in the spring/summer. These engines need a buffer. I run 0/50 in the winter, and 20/50 in the summer.

As previously posted these engines tick, listen to all the ticks if they are the same then that's normal, or they are all equally out of adjustment. If you hear the occasional or off-beat tick, then you should suspect that one or only a few are out of alignment or worn.

Good luck with it.

Thadose
03-16-2009, 02:43 AM
the sound is even across all 4 cylinders. I put 10w/30 for our current weather, i will actually try 20/50 cause i was thinking of going with something thicker to be safe. I will use a feeler gauge this week to see my clearances
thanks for everyones input.