PDA

View Full Version : People with new USD cars in Canada

kav
03-13-2009, 04:28 PM
For those who bought new US BMWs and imported them to Canada, I have a question regarding the regular maintence. I know we don't get any of the scheduled maintence in Canada but if we go back to the states will they honor the maintence, ie oil changes and inspection I?

The dealer I bought the car from was doing the oil changes under the maintence plan but I wasn't sure if this was just because I bought from them or since I moved, if I can go to anothe US dealer for my Inspection I?

TNation
03-14-2009, 11:49 AM
that's a good question, they should honor it. I'd ask the dealership you're buying from in the US if they'll honor it.

328i Cab
03-14-2009, 12:31 PM
In terms of importing them - the warranty will be valid in Canada but scheduled maintenance will not carry over. It is a BMW NA/BMW Canada thing (not tied to a dealership) and that's what they told me when I was planning out costs for bringing in 08s and 09s.

Hope that helps, I've done some research in terms of importation/compliance costs, PM me if you have questions that I may be able to answer.

lvan
03-14-2009, 01:48 PM
So lets say you bought a car when it just went for service.. That means you got 6 months until you are back in. The car was not touch in any shops in Canada, than how would you void that warranty? I don't get it.

TNation
03-14-2009, 02:07 PM
you guys want the best website to help show much it is to import a car from the US to Canada?
this site was awesome last summer.
http://www.importcartocanada.info/tools/vehicle-import-price-calculator/

kav
03-15-2009, 12:33 AM
I don't think I worded the question correctly.
I know about the US/Canada warranty situation and the loss of the routine maintence in canada. The question is, if the vehicle is imported (which it is in my case) can I go back to a US dealer to get oil changes or inspection I under warranty?

TNation
03-15-2009, 01:49 AM
contact the dealership in the US and ask them to get it in writing from BMW USA that they will honor it when you move back to the US
they probably will

Meegis
03-15-2009, 12:30 PM
They may have done it when your car was registered as a US vehicle. Now they may not if it has been registered in Canada.

propr'one
03-15-2009, 12:52 PM
the key word here is export. Once you've exported a vehicle, the rules about warranty/maintenance are different.

Spoose
03-15-2009, 08:13 PM
any US dealer will honour it, my friend bought his from a Seattle dealer while he was in BC, but now he lives in Toronto and he gets them done in Buffalo. No issues. Most dealers will gladly do the service, especially in this economy since it does not come out of their pocket, they bill BMW US for it.

Mikey83
03-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Let me clear some things up here since I imported my E66 from the USA.

Yes warranty is carried over into Canada , if you still have maintenance then you can take it into Buffalo (Towne BMW) like I did to get it done.

Mikey83
03-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Most dealers will gladly do the service, especially in this economy since it does not come out of their pocket, they bill BMW US for it.

Not true, the more free service they give out the less the SA's bonus is at the end of the year, they will try anything to make the customer pay if they think it isnt covered under warranty.

GTA_G20
03-28-2009, 08:24 PM
you guys want the best website to help show much it is to import a car from the US to Canada?
this site was awesome last summer.
http://www.importcartocanada.info/tools/vehicle-import-price-calculator/

thanks for the site bro

TNation
03-28-2009, 09:22 PM
thanks for the site bro

yeah no problem, its amazing