PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 325e 2.7 bottom end

TopSpeed
03-11-2009, 08:44 PM
I have made a decision FINALLY ... going to get stroked.

Need the bottom end from an 'eta' or 'super eta'.

Let me know what you have and what the condition and price is.

simplycars
03-11-2009, 08:53 PM
complete 1984 2.7 engine with low 200kms - $200.00

TopSpeed
03-11-2009, 10:54 PM
complete 1984 2.7 engine with low 200kms - $200.00

Don't really need the head as it will get tossed anyway then ... what can you do just for the block? You're literally around the corner too!

T.Dot_E30
03-11-2009, 10:59 PM
I have a 2.7L crank took out of a working motor before i junked it....would you believe i was giving the motor away for free any no one wanted it?

Throw me an offer for the crank if it would be any good to you.

TopSpeed
03-11-2009, 11:33 PM
The crank is no good without pistons though. The reason why I am doing this is because it's suppose to be cheaper than my M30 and getting new or custom pistons is not going to be cheap.

T.Dot_E30
03-12-2009, 11:05 AM
The crank is no good without pistons though. The reason why I am doing this is because it's suppose to be cheaper than my M30 and getting new or custom pistons is not going to be cheap.

So you plan on using eta pistons? Your compression will be lower, so unless your planning on going turbo, your not really going to be making much more power.

A super eta bottom would be ideal for you, but they are harder to find.

A budget 2.7 is not worth it IMO.

90E30i
03-12-2009, 08:11 PM
So you plan on using eta pistons? Your compression will be lower, so unless your planning on going turbo, your not really going to be making much more power.

A super eta bottom would be ideal for you, but they are harder to find.

A budget 2.7 is not worth it IMO.

T.Dot_E30 is right. Unless you are throwing an "i" head on the ETA block, that stroker option is really not worth it. I would suggest using an M52 crank with ETA rods and "i" pistons. it would not leave you broke since all the parts could be found for fairly good price and it would make some decent power as well with the compression of around 9.5:1

There is a really good thread about the "budget stroker" on here.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97160

The difference in power between the ETA bottom end with "i" head and "i" motor is not that noticeable except for some low end torque.

TopSpeed
03-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Probably will do what they recommended in Total BMW mag. Everyone on the net is all over the place and noone gives a straight answer ... or they go with custom pistons or get more involved than I'd like.

This is what I will do:
-81mm crank (eta)
-130 mm rods (from my 320 ... it's getting tossed anyway because it probably has a cracked head)
-'i' head and 'i' block (skimmed)

Any relevant input on my plan is much appreciated ... i've got a month to decide and do something about this otherwise it will just be a 325i finally swapped over to a manual.