PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil warning light

Starsky
03-10-2009, 05:59 PM
The "engine oil" light came on in the check panel on my '89 ix. The oil level is fine. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this so that I don't have to stare at the light??

thanks

5thseries
03-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Uh.. does your oil need to be changed :P

everlast
03-11-2009, 01:32 AM
That light doesn't come on at the service interval. :P

On a non-iX the oil level sender unit is on the left side of the oil pan, accessible from the top. It is essentially right under the alternator. You could inspect the plug, etc, coming from that area, and possibly remove the oil sensor to test it, etc. You might need to remove other stuff to do that.

On the iX though, it's likely 704 times harder to do. Sorry, I have no experience with that.

supernaught
03-11-2009, 01:25 PM
getting at the IX plug is hilariously awesome, especially is you have big hands/arms. Accessible from below, it is on the left side of the oil pan(driver's side), but between the pan and diff, and above the subframe and steering rack. No problem. I had to use a super long pair of offset needlenose pliers, and a long thin screwdriver to get the clip off. Once its off, you should be able to test it with a voltmeter to see if it has continuity to the ECU(or wherever it connects in the cabin -check your diagrams)
If it has continuity, its likely the sensor itself. If not, you'll need to troubleshoot the wire, looking for damage all through its path in the harness. If it can't be found easily, you can McGyver it, repair it properly, or get a new harness.
Replacing the sensor is a different story. Never done it myself.

Starsky
06-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Time to update this thread as I finally got around to fixing it today. My short term solution was to unplug the check panel....

On my 89 ix, the sensor is at the rear of the oil pan on the bottom, super easy to get to. The connection between the sensor and the harness was very dirty and perhaps partly unplugged. I cleaned it and plugged it back in. Everything works properly now!! Super easy fix.

adam325i
06-16-2009, 10:45 PM
tape over the light should do the trick!