PDA

View Full Version : car is bogging out

jamison67
03-10-2009, 12:15 PM
i dunno what happened ,but when i take off the car boggs out and i have to give it a lot more gas to get it going,it dosnt just do it under load it will bog when the car is just sitting there,but it only does when u give it only a little gas ,when u give it a lot of gas it dosnt do it,i have to get the car emmisions this week so any help would be great

thanks guys

everlast
03-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Could be:

Vacuum leak, idle control valve failure, dirty air filter, possibly others...

I would start by going under the hood and inspecting everything. Make sure everything looks like it's connected and no loose hoses / cables. Then start inspecting any rubber before the throttle body for cracks or tears.

Pull out the air filter and give it a strong whack on the ground. If a pile of shit is left behind, throw it out and buy a new one.

Report back, and good luck!

jamison67
03-10-2009, 01:14 PM
i have a cone air filter ,could it be ther mass air flow sensoer

everlast
03-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Sure could be. Unplug it and watch it's behavior. It will run in a 'default' map of some sort. Like shit, sure, but should run.

If it doesn't change, then the AFM is likely suspect. Swap with a known good one to be sure.

Are you sure there are no vacuum leaks? its' the most likely culprit, then the idle control. Unplug the idle control and test it like the AFM, looking for differences in behaviour.

jamison67
03-10-2009, 06:17 PM
i only now of the one vacuum line running from the intake to to fuel presure regulater is there any other ones that i should look at

how would the idle control valve make it bog while driving ,i dunno but i just thought that that controlled the idle ,im no a mechanic,im just guessing

e30jones
03-10-2009, 07:41 PM
vacuum leaks are not necessarily in your vacuum lines. It is unmetered air entering the combustion chamber (ie extra air getting in after the AFM, could be anywhere after it, up to the point of the combustion chamber.)

Check your intake gaskets, they can let in air, fuel injector o-rings can let in air, any of the hoses on the intake elbow and the elbow itself (look for cracks on the bottom). If this is an m20, then the orings on the oil drain tube can crack, throttle body gasket etc. To check, you spray suspect places with carb cleaner, if the idle increases, then you have found the leak.

idle control valve is basically a controlled vacuum leak. It lets more or less air in as necessary to stabilize idle. It can get stuck / screwed up and basically cause the same symptoms as a vacuum leak.

Ceeker
03-10-2009, 09:52 PM
This is just a shot in the dark; check the oil dipstick. The crack case is vacuum pressured if the dip stick is not seated properly or out just a bit, it may cause the car to run shitty; as well as the oil cap. also vacuum related.

Nguyen_E30
03-10-2009, 10:11 PM
what e30 do you drive?