PDA

View Full Version : E46 sidemarkers

BabyHerc
03-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Does anyone know if the pre- and post-facelift E46 sidemarkers are the same fit? I want clear markers for my 2000 323i and I like the angled look of the post-facelift markers. A link: http://www.corner73.com/index.php?cPath=30_80&sort=2a&page=2

E46er
03-07-2009, 12:53 PM
No they are not the same fit.

dtthiaga
03-07-2009, 02:07 PM
What you should do is take a picture of a Pre-facelift car's fender with the side marker off (99-01).

Then, do the same with the E46 Facelift car (02-07).

Compare.

They will be different, but maybe if you cut the tabs off and use double sided tape, you might be able to retrofit the newer side markers.

Mikeee46coup
03-07-2009, 10:41 PM
No way they could be easily retro-fitted, the angles of them are very different.

BabyHerc
03-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the responses. I have access to only one BMW, my own, so I cannot compare the two. I'll just go with what was made for my car.

dtthiaga
03-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Don't worry, it's not "impossible" like others have said. Obviously itís going to take a creative/innovative person to do it, but it would look cool.

It can be done. You just need to remove your original sidemaker, and overlay the new one and see the fitment.

Just use 3M double sided tape to put it back. The only concern would be the connector. You might have to splice the new one on.

I can get you a e46 Post facelift side makers if you want to test fit it.
I have my old ones. In a few days, I'll take a picture of the hole to see if it can be done.

BabyHerc
03-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Ya, if you have a set laying around, I would like to see if they will fit. You say to use double sided to tape to "put it back". Please explain?

dtthiaga
03-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Do this:

Remove the drivers side lens, and take a picture for me.
Take the pictures with a tape measure beside it for sizing.

A) Interested in the curvature of the fender panel around the side marker.
B) Interested in hole that the side marker clips fit into
C) Interested in the wiring adapter of your current side marker.

I try to get to my car and take the same pictures to compare. If someone has a E46 Facelift car, they could take the same photos for you.

I'll PM you when I can find/bring my extra side markers. Until then, take some pictures and post it.

dtthiaga
03-11-2009, 10:09 AM
3M Tape...

http://www.uline.com/Grp_239/3M-Double-Sided-Tapes

The Lip spoilers are attached to cars using this type of tape.
It's very common for automotive applications.