PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading brakes?

BabyHerc
03-05-2009, 05:52 PM
I want to upgrade to a big brake kit. Any recommendations? What do I need to know? Car is E46 323i.

thinair
03-05-2009, 07:00 PM
What exactly are you planning to do with your car? Are you looking for performance or just looks? What tires and size are you running?

BabyHerc
03-05-2009, 08:10 PM
I want to get some thin spoke wheels, maybe M3 replicas, and since the brakes will be visible I think it would look more aggressive with some larger brakes. I do not need super preformance. I do not go to the track. I simply do not want dinky-looking brakes visible with the thin spoke wheels. Is there something out there for me? What are some price ranges for new or used, from the entry level to high end?

thinair
03-05-2009, 08:32 PM
You might want to consider a brake swap from a 330i then. They're much larger than stock, and a lot cheaper than buying an actual big brake kit.

5thseries
03-05-2009, 08:37 PM
ahh check brake lines.. the usuall.. also check for fitting.. clearance around wheel....

When i do brakes.. i like to work on my brake lines before there is more pressure now going towards the calipers compared to the stock cal's..., you car is newer.. so rust should not be an issue at all... all in all, should be a bolt on bleed project.. hope it works out for you.

BabyHerc
03-05-2009, 08:54 PM
You might want to consider a brake swap from a 330i then. They're much larger than stock, and a lot cheaper than buying an actual big brake kit.

Thanks for the advice. What do I need to know about swapping brakes from a 330i? Do I need a conversion kit? Can I get them in different colours?

BabyHerc
03-05-2009, 08:54 PM
ahh check brake lines.. the usuall.. also check for fitting.. clearance around wheel....

When i do brakes.. i like to work on my brake lines before there is more pressure now going towards the calipers compared to the stock cal's..., you car is newer.. so rust should not be an issue at all... all in all, should be a bolt on bleed project.. hope it works out for you.

Thanks, but I won't be doing this myself. I will research and purchase the parts, but rely on a mechanic to install them.

EstorilM3
03-05-2009, 09:17 PM
I want to upgrade to a big brake kit. Any recommendations? What do I need to know? Car is E46 323i.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/show_category.asp?txtsearchParamCat=Brakes#StopTec hBigBrakeKits

Stoptech or Brembo...

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/

Alcon...

http://www.apracing.com/info/index.asp?section=Formula+Big+Brake+Kits_30

AP Racing...

How deep is your pocket?

TNation
03-08-2009, 11:17 AM
do NOT upgrade to a big brake kit, unless you need it for performance braking. Just put on 330i brakes, get slotted or drilled rotors, paint your calipers, get nice wheels, call it a day. That will be expensive enough as it is.

BabyHerc
03-08-2009, 12:00 PM
do NOT upgrade to a big brake kit, unless you need it for performance braking. Just put on 330i brakes, get slotted or drilled rotors, paint your calipers, get nice wheels, call it a day. That will be expensive enough as it is.

Thanks, I think this is the route I will be taking. Anything I need to know about 330i brakes? Improvements over the years? OEM or aftermarket?

matty.dc
03-08-2009, 12:52 PM
http://massivebrakes.com/kits/e46/front/332/32/ here's another link and possibility to consider.

TheMadChigga
03-11-2009, 06:39 PM

why not? I drive my car daily and I don't think I'll drive another car without BBK.

TNation
03-11-2009, 09:48 PM
why not? I drive my car daily and I don't think I'll drive another car without BBK.

two reasons. His car is a 323i and doesn't go fast or anything to really require a BBK. Second, its a very expensive option that he won't get his money out of ever later, which is why I recommended 330 brakes, painted calipers, and nice wheels. I can see why a BBK is needed though on some cars, yes even an auto 5 series; but on a whole its a huge waste of money unless you track it.

TheMadChigga
03-12-2009, 12:48 PM
two reasons. His car is a 323i and doesn't go fast or anything to really require a BBK. Second, its a very expensive option that he won't get his money out of ever later, which is why I recommended 330 brakes, painted calipers, and nice wheels. I can see why a BBK is needed though on some cars, yes even an auto 5 series; but on a whole its a huge waste of money unless you track it.

so how much is the 330i set up is going to set him back? right now BMW Performance sell the BBK kit from 135 for only $1300.

T.Dot_E30
03-12-2009, 01:25 PM
i have rear calipers and brackets form a 330i if it would work for you. Not sure what else is required in the swap. You'll need fronts.

TNation
03-12-2009, 02:25 PM
so how much is the 330i set up is going to set him back? right now BMW Performance sell the BBK kit from 135 for only $1300.

i'm sure if he sold his stock brakes and bought 330's he'd be paying less than $500 on top of his 323 brakes.