PDA

View Full Version : 2003 540i rear brakes

georgost
03-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Hey guys.
Was told last fall that I would need rear brakes in the spring.
So spring is now approaching and I need to get an inspection 1 done and apparently rear brakes.

My question is, my brake light hasn't come on yet. Should I wait for the light to coe onor just go ahead and change them anyway. Also, if I change the brakes, and the light isn't on, do I need to change the sensor anyway?

myndgone
03-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Do you wait for the oil light to come on to tell you when to change the oil?? :P

europrince
03-05-2009, 11:34 AM
If you wait for the check brake message to appear, you will have burned though the sensor. If you change them no, you'll save yourself $30 or so on the sensor and perhaps some wear on the rotors.

georgost
03-05-2009, 04:59 PM
If you wait for the check brake message to appear, you will have burned though the sensor. If you change them no, you'll save yourself $30 or so on the sensor and perhaps some wear on the rotors.

Exactly the infor I was looking for.

Thanks

Oyster
03-05-2009, 09:02 PM
I would usually order the sensor in case you break it when you take it out.

Rear is easy to do. If you need help, let me know

georgost
03-05-2009, 09:28 PM
I would usually order the sensor in case you break it when you take it out.

Rear is easy to do. If you need help, let me know

Have never done brakes before, but was considering it. If you are offering than I wouldd definitely take you up on it!

What's everyones recommendations for rotors and pads. Also, where's the best place to buy parts!

Thanks

Strati

Oyster
03-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Have never done brakes before, but was considering it. If you are offering than I wouldd definitely take you up on it!

What's everyones recommendations for rotors and pads. Also, where's the best place to buy parts!

Thanks

Strati

i order from autopartsway.ca

been doing it for a while, free shipping over $75 with oem parts.

I got to do my front this summer, and I might change my brake lines. Also I need to flush out my brake fluid.

georgost
03-05-2009, 09:37 PM
You going stainless?
When should you flush the brake fluid?

Oyster
03-05-2009, 10:01 PM
You going stainless?
When should you flush the brake fluid?

I am changing brake lines because the car is 9 years old now, more for peace of mind.

Got to see cost benefit. I had stainless before on the 325xi. You only notice the difference on the track.

They say every 2 years to flush brake fluid. My take is that the fluid absorbs moisture by design and old fluid will not lubricate the o-rings in the calipers which might make them wear down faster.

georgost
03-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Is it difficult to flush teh brake lines at home?

georgost
03-06-2009, 07:35 AM
btw, what do you use for pads and rotors. Notice taht tehre is a big discrepency in prices. Was thinking of just going with Brembo rotors and PBR Deluxe pads.