PDA

View Full Version : questions about BMW OE X-brace mounting hardware

Autotechnica
02-18-2002, 11:53 PM
I have the BMW X-brace but no mounting kit. 3 different dealers in Toronto (Autohaus, Town and Country and Maranello) which I called this week all say there is no mounting kit or part number for this. Its just a series of nuts and bolts that can be purchased at a hardware store. If anyone knows the appropreate sizes of all the nuts, bolts, inserts, nutserts and how many of each I need please reply. Thanks!

Bryan

MOTRONIX
02-19-2002, 12:22 AM
hi bryan,

the bmw part number for the rivet nut is # 51 71 8 175 003
if its still active. i have used these inserts for our xbrace kit
for a couple of years now. if you have problems, you can got to brofasco and get the m8 nutserts (metric) and tehy work really well.

i hope this helps

dave

Autotechnica
02-19-2002, 12:25 AM
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the info, but don't I need more parts? What about the bolts and nuts?

Also, can you give me a deal on a short shifter? Thanks

Bryan

MOTRONIX
02-19-2002, 12:32 AM
bryan
the hardware youwill need is 4 m8x20 bolts and 2 m10x35 bolts. plus the washers. i went to brafasco and got all my hardware from there. let me know if your stuck.

dave

Autotechnica
02-19-2002, 12:33 AM
Hey Dave,

Also do I need a Rivet nut tool to install the rivet nut? Thanks

Bryan

MOTRONIX
02-19-2002, 12:42 AM
yes you do. if you dont have the tool for it or go to crappy tire and use theirs on that tool program thingy

the tool makes a huge difference in isntallation.

dave

Autotechnica
02-19-2002, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the help Dave!

Also, what is crappy tire's tool program? I've never heard of that. Do they rent out tools?

Bryan

M52_Alpina
02-19-2002, 01:34 AM
Bryan:
this is all you need:

QTY
1 # 51 71 8 410 212 Cross Reinforcement $139.00
2 # 07 11 9 900 582 Bolt M10 x 30 $0.38
4 # 07 11 9 913 657 Bolt M8 x 25 $0.15
4 # 33 31 1 108 205 Washer $0.15
4 # 51 71 8 175 003 Nutserts $0.63

Hope that helps:)

KIRASIR
02-19-2002, 09:50 AM
Bryan,

How much was the x-brace in CAD?

Thanks

Autotechnica
02-19-2002, 10:23 AM
M52_Alpina, thanks I'm going to the dealer to order those parts today, but I still need the rivet gun, anyone have one that wouldn't mind lending it to BimmerSport and I? Thanks

Autotechnica
02-19-2002, 10:24 AM
Lonely TI, I got mine used for $75Cdn, what a steal! I can get you new ones for around $200, slightly more.

Bryan

Autotechnica
02-19-2002, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I went to Town and Country BMW today and Jeff found the parts for me, I think he is the only one that is even close to knowledgeable in the parts dept.

Charlie, if you want me to order the parts for you please tell me, it came to less than $15Cdn including taxes for all the rivet nuts, bolts, washers and nuts.

Bryan

KIRASIR
03-11-2002, 11:36 AM
Hey Bryan,

Did you install the x-brace yet? I just picked mine up on Saturday.

Here is the link on the home made tool for installing nutinserts.

http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11540

All I need now is 4 nutserts from the dealer.

SL

Originally posted by MTRD
Thanks for the info guys. I went to Town and Country BMW today and Jeff found the parts for me, I think he is the only one that is even close to knowledgeable in the parts dept.

Charlie, if you want me to order the parts for you please tell me, it came to less than $15Cdn including taxes for all the rivet nuts, bolts, washers and nuts.

Bryan

Autotechnica
03-11-2002, 11:57 AM
Hey Lonely TI,

I installed the X-brace on Friday, actually BimmerSport helped me install it. He made his own nuts since I couldn't obtain the rivet nut tool for the nutserts. He welded a peice of metal to the nuts and inserted them through a small hole, he then bent the pece of metal to hold the nut in place while he inserted the bolts, get some larger washers for this too. Anyways, the whole process worked out great! The car is stiff as ever but my winter tires won't do, I'm drifting in every corner now and I'm not use to the stiffness. I'll just test it out more when I get my 17" back on. Anyways, X-brace is great! Very stable on the highway, more responsive steering, and overall very stiff chassis, even over bumps you feel the bumps more.

Bryan

KIRASIR
03-11-2002, 12:48 PM
I just called the dealer, and they have 6 nutinserts in stock. :D
So I'll be picking them up today and probably installing the X-brace tonight. I'll let you know how it went.

SL

Hey Lonely TI,

I installed the X-brace on Friday, actually BimmerSport helped me install it. He made his own nuts since I couldn't obtain the rivet nut tool for the nutserts. He welded a peice of metal to the nuts and inserted them through a small hole, he then bent the pece of metal to hold the nut in place while he inserted the bolts, get some larger washers for this too. Anyways, the whole process worked out great! The car is stiff as ever but my winter tires won't do, I'm drifting in every corner now and I'm not use to the stiffness. I'll just test it out more when I get my 17" back on. Anyways, X-brace is great! Very stable on the highway, more responsive steering, and overall very stiff chassis, even over bumps you feel the bumps more.

Bryan

Autotechnica
03-12-2002, 11:47 AM
You should have told me. I had all the nutserts at home sitting around I could have just given them to you. :D

Anyways, did you have the rivet nut gun? I couldn't find one anywhere. I just knew that Motronix and the dealer has them.

Bryan

KIRASIR
03-12-2002, 12:07 PM
2 things one needs to know when installing x-brace:

1) Do not read the write up on www.unofficialbmw.com
2) It is VERY easy.

The only usefull piece of information on the Unofficialbmw site is
the part numbers and that you only use the 4 outer holes to install X-brace(2 on each side). Everything else is useless and over complicated including the info on the rivet gun.

All you need to install the rivets is
1) one m8 bolt
2) one m8 nut
3) one m8 washer.

I used 3 bolts since they get slightly beat up after each nut but I could've used the same bolt for all 4. I think I spent about 6 bucks on the "tool" from Can. Tire. :D

It took me about 15 min to install the rivets (this includes drilling) and about 10 more to tighten everything. The rest of the time I spent on God only knows what.(jacking the car, looking for sockets, etc)

I know I can install it again in about 20 min on a lift. Nutserts are what really had me worried but after I did the first one, I couldn't believe how easy it was to install them. I am pretty sure even my girlfriend could put them in if I told her how.

And that's it. Now I just have to put the springs/shorts on when the weather gets warmer plus the wheels, and I'll be rolling.

:)

SL

You should have told me. I had all the nutserts at home sitting around I could have just given them to you. :D

Anyways, did you have the rivet nut gun? I couldn't find one anywhere. I just knew that Motronix and the dealer has them.

Bryan

Autotechnica
03-12-2002, 12:13 PM
Could you please explain how you installed the nutserts? As far as I know you have to have the rivet tool to compress the nutsert so it stays. If you just pop it in without using the rivet tool it won't reinforce the front chassis properly. Without compressing the nutsert the bolt doesn't even turn into the threads. It just turns with the bolt. Thanks

Bryan

KIRASIR
03-12-2002, 12:39 PM
Just look at the writeup below:

http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11540

I did the exact same thing, except that I didn't use lubricant on the threads. It takes about a min per rivet, and, YES, it compresses the hell out of them. When I was tightening the x-brace I applied a good amount of force on them, and none came even close to spinning.

SL

Could you please explain how you installed the nutserts? As far as I know you have to have the rivet tool to compress the nutsert so it stays. If you just pop it in without using the rivet tool it won't reinforce the front chassis properly. Without compressing the nutsert the bolt doesn't even turn into the threads. It just turns with the bolt. Thanks

Bryan

Autotechnica
03-12-2002, 04:23 PM
Hey thanks for the info. It would have worked out great had I seen this before I installed it. No problem, my method worked just as good but it took a little more time. I wonder if using the nutserts will be more secure than using just a locking nut, 2 washers and a bolt. What do you think?

Bryan

bimmersport
03-12-2002, 07:48 PM
You're right Lonely TI, it is very easy to install. ;)
It took me less than 5 minutes on my 325 on the floor (Julian/Gamite was there).*smoke*

KIRASIR
03-13-2002, 09:56 AM
To be honest, from a structural point of view, I don't think it makes a difference since x-brace prevents horizontal movement of the components. So nut insert just basically prevents the bolt from falling out. :)
SL

Hey thanks for the info. It would have worked out great had I seen this before I installed it. No problem, my method worked just as good but it took a little more time. I wonder if using the nutserts will be more secure than using just a locking nut, 2 washers and a bolt. What do you think?

Bryan