PDA

View Full Version : First Sound System Setup Questions

El Gato Liso
03-04-2009, 02:33 AM
well

spring is almost here
and so is the return of my e30 for not having it for 8 months

anyway

since im entirely new to this, so what would be a good audio setup for a hiphop/rock/dub/drumbass/reggae/metal/electronica head?

im not looking for something that will weigh down my car...but i would also like something that will fit in my trunk nice. 2 x8" perhaps i was thinking.

any suggestions? which i should stay away from etc.

ps. i have a sony head unit...and i like it!

Bullet Ride
03-04-2009, 09:12 AM
I myself am not a fan of having subs in a trunk. I'll only run subs in a open cabin vehicle like and suv or a touring. For a sedan I'd personally just go about replacing all the stock speakers with good quality components. A set of 6x9's for the back speakers, and 6.5's in the doors. Depending on the head unit you have and the speakers you get, you may (and most likely) need another amp.

T.Dot_E30
03-04-2009, 10:34 AM
I'd add a single high-end 10'' in a small sealed box and call it a day, sounds decent if you have a skipass or knock out the opening to let some air in the cabin.

If you want more bass a single 12'' should hit harder. I wouldn't go with dual subs unless you wanted a big box taking up your trunk space or you want really hard pounding bass.

My 10'' JL 10W6 served me well for years in the e30, but then it started to fall apart. I believe mystikal had a 10'' alpine type-r that sound good in a sealed box in his e30.

VSanj
03-04-2009, 10:38 AM
^^agreed, one 12 is more than enough

matty.dc
03-04-2009, 10:43 AM
i agree with the one high end 10" sealed enclosures(boxes) are very good for tight sounding bass and then you dont really need to change your speakers to 6x9.

5thseries
03-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Send me measurements, Mayish.. i will be able to have a carpeted box for you, i can do an amp rack

FuryriderX
03-05-2009, 11:51 PM
i have 2 10's in sealed triangular boxes in the trunk - look at the boston acoustic g3 series, they're designed to be used in small sealed boxes. i tested out a 12" version - holy wow that thing is amazing.

El Gato Liso
03-10-2009, 02:51 PM
fury that sub seems the most appealing to me

i think i may go with 1 12' sub.
does the triangle box effect its performance? or is it just for the sake of fitting in the trunk
and what would be a good amp for that boston acoustic sub

FuryriderX
03-16-2009, 06:11 PM
nah, its what fit best, used up the least space, and let me still use the ski passthrough haha

boston makes some decent amps, i have a clarion amp that i like a lot - boston amps are expensive though.

fosgate and jbl arent so bad either. hit up a local car audio store and talk to the guy for a while, see what he says.

SamE30e
03-18-2009, 06:10 PM
I have a single 12" in a sealed box in the trunk, pumps pretty good.