PDA

View Full Version : BMW E30 heater blower 5' fan removal

epabillo
03-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Hey guys I am planning to change my dead blower but wanted to know if anyone knows how to remove the plastic fans off the old one without breaking them to put on the old one? I already have the old blower out.The new motor does not come with the fans which should only cost me around a 110$ just the motor. ANy help would be greatful. Thanks in advance.

lvan
03-03-2009, 08:34 PM
It is easier on late models. What year is the car?

epabillo
03-03-2009, 08:50 PM
its 1991 318i 4dr i think there is a horse shoe clip holding it not too sure I just don't want to start flinging off the clips..lol

supernaught
03-03-2009, 10:43 PM
where did you get the replacement blower motor that it has no blades? if you got it used, it might be like that because the motor was imbalanced or handled incorrectly making them break(then someone removed them). I hope the one you have is in good shape.

everlast
03-03-2009, 11:04 PM
I've never seen a replacement motor without blades. I only have experience with the early style blower, but it appeared to me that the "squirrel cages" as they're called were pressed on. I never successfully removed one without breaking it.

epabillo
03-04-2009, 12:37 AM
I've never seen a replacement motor without blades. I only have experience with the early style blower, but it appeared to me that the "squirrel cages" as they're called were pressed on. I never successfully removed one without breaking it.

Yeah there is a store in Montreal called autoelectra and they sell a lot of european parts I saw the motor original bosch motor exactly like the one that came out of my car but without the fans. That's why I want to know to get them off without breaking or warping the fan baskets. So is it just pressed on or what? Anything holding it in place?

Duct_Taper
03-04-2009, 12:43 AM
Not totally sure about the E30 ones, but on my E34 they were pressed on. Just be very careful and twist them off one side at a time (it helps to clamp the other end of the shaft in a vise) holding them as close to the center hub as possible.

epabillo
03-04-2009, 12:48 AM
I will try it at work tomorrow hopefully it comes off like a glove....I will need a miracle...lol Thanks guys... someone stop me if I am going to make a mistake..

supernaught
03-04-2009, 09:24 AM
I think they are glued/pressed on, I have a bad one I can smash up tonight when i get home to be sure. But I'm pretty sure they are not replaceable.

richie_s999
03-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I think they are glued/pressed on, I have a bad one I can smash up tonight when i get home to be sure. But I'm pretty sure they are not replaceable.

don't smash it until you've been trying to get something undone on your car but some idiot has but on a standard bolt which was also cross threaded and made of cheap steal and so rusted that it looks like a little ant hill, then take the blower motor, and smash it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll feel much better, and not go "OH SHIT, I needed that"

:D

supernaught
03-04-2009, 03:39 PM
should be a good opportunity on the weekend

InfiniteDice
03-04-2009, 04:38 PM
I wouldn't even try, honestly. It's a major pain, the blades being plastic won't take much force to screw up, they are also balanced with weights. Even slightly unbalanced blades can cause these fans to fail relatively fast, or vibrate like mad.

Buy a good used one.

everlast
03-04-2009, 04:43 PM
^^ +1.

I tried, it conquered.