PDA

View Full Version : I need instructions for taking off trim.

propr'one
02-27-2009, 05:05 PM
All of it (doors, rear quarters, front and rear bumper, etc). Please help, i can't find anything online. It seems like im gonna break some clips when i take it off, especially on the bumpers. Any advice = very appreciated.

(I'm painting them body coloured)

Ivan

e30_kid89
02-27-2009, 05:34 PM
I would help you but you're painting them body color = gay lol....jkz

You might have to take off the entire front and rear bumpers to get at a small torx screw that holds the trim on the ends of the bumper. The middle piece should pop right off.

As for the door/quarter/fender clips 99.9% sure they're gonna break so you will need to get new ones.

propr'one
02-27-2009, 05:44 PM

Axxe
02-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Don't do it. Looks like shit and probability of failure is high.

325isStephen
02-27-2009, 07:01 PM
if you pry the right way you can get it all off without breaking em, but as said the bumper trims on each end are held on by screws so you will need to pull the whole bumper first.

Steve

PinkieMoscow
02-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Yah the clips don't break, they are pretty damn heavy duty.

Brent
02-27-2009, 08:02 PM
I took off the quarter panel trim and all the trim around the doors, and didn't break anything. Just used a screwdriver and a rag to cushion it. The clips are pretty heavy duty. I did snap the rear bumber trim, but I don't think anyone will ever notice. I think it snapped because I stopped using the screw driver by the clips and tried to 'pry' or 'lever' the last of it off by hand. If you start at one end, go clip by clip and take your time, they probably won't break. I'm not sure about this, maybe someone else knows, but I suspect if the plastic is cold it might be more brittle? If you do break any trim piece or clips, get a new one off a parts car or hit the junkyard, or try to find a universal piece that will work at PartSource or somewhere like that (I found universal clips for some interior trim that worked there).

propr'one
02-27-2009, 08:06 PM
I found this:
http://e30.bmwdiy.info/bumper-adjust/index.html

For removing the rear bumper. Doesn't really get into how to remove the front one though.

p.s. i wont be taking the trim off the windows, that's already blacked out (thanks milan).

everlast
02-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Go to a junker pick 'n' pull to practice. That's what I did, lol.

e30blue
02-28-2009, 01:26 PM
what colour is your e30? i got alpine white trim i wanna trade for black....could save u the trouble of painting

matty.dc
03-01-2009, 12:33 PM
http://r3vlimited.com/tech/windowtrim/windowtrim.htm, please dont paint the trim body colour, do it black if you dont want to leave it chrome.

matty.dc
03-01-2009, 05:45 PM
lol sorry i didnt read fully, i thought you were talking about window trim. as stated above by brent i also used a screwdriver and a rag.