PDA

View Full Version : E30 turbo

matty.dc
02-25-2009, 01:57 AM
What parts would i need to turbo my e30 (aside from low comp pistons, head studs) and how much work would this involve?

SamE30e
02-25-2009, 11:46 AM
I head, ETA bottom end. Then you don't need low comp pistons.

everlast
02-25-2009, 02:46 PM
You don't need either of those. Turbo'ing either an "eta" or an "i" motor has been done a thousand times. You need at a minimum a manifold, turbo, downpipe, exhaust work, fuel management, a wideband, oil feed lines and oil drain. Also plan on an intercooler, plumbing lines, air intake filter and a lot of learning and manual labour.

Or, just throw money at it and take it to a shop.

Optionally, there are lots of things to do. Low compression, o-ring the head or block, metric blue bolts, head studs, external wastegate, spark control, EGT monitoring, fuel and spark control via standalone, intercooling upgrades, clutch, traction improvement (tires), etc.

e30_kid89
02-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I would stay away for metric blues. I never knew they're just a random fastener guys have used with some success, though ive seen the downside of using them (stripped block threads:()

I'm pretty sure with a new stock HG, ARP studs and a GREAT tune you can boost up to 20psi no problems as long as the motor is somewhat in good mechanically good shape and you surround yourself with good turbo components (Standalone, properly sized turbo, exhaust, intercooler, clutch etc)

As for doing WORK, PM FuryriderX. He's done an entire turbo build in his driveway and im sure he could tell you what you would need to be able to do to get it done on your own.

FuryriderX
02-26-2009, 05:46 PM
As for doing WORK, PM FuryriderX. He's done an entire turbo build in his driveway and im sure he could tell you what you would need to be able to do to get it done on your own.

w00t! :cool:

"k"car man
03-18-2009, 11:03 AM
If you want to come by and see my cheapo turbo set up Let me know I'm in Burlington, the car isn't on the road yet, but I hope it will be before the summer.

And I did it in my driveway rain or shine:)