PDA

View Full Version : Dead Battery?

1crazye30
02-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Can any one help me out a put in a new battery i got a new alternator. But when i go to start the car it wont start. But once i give it a boost it okay. Because the car in storage i only go once and a while to start it up so last time i disconnected the battery so it wont die, went today connected the battery and tried starting it but it wont start.

Thanks for any help!

craz azn
02-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Check your grounds?

BmW1819
02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
u disconnected the battery??? if u did u run a very high chance are burning your alternator
never disconnect your battery when the car is running
i can give u a hand if u want

1crazye30
02-24-2009, 08:51 PM
I never disconnected the battery while the car was running, I shut the car off first

BmW1819
02-24-2009, 09:07 PM
ahh ok good :) well charge it up if u don't drive it long trips and only once and while like 1 every 2 weeks if your battery is more than 7 year old than change it if not than charge it full to 12.6v and go from there. if your battery is newer than 6 year old and it dies every couple days than u have a draw. u need a amp meter to check for draw

supernaught
02-24-2009, 10:06 PM
he said he put in a new motor and alternator.
Chances are good you have a bad ground like rudy said. could be at the battery, could be engine ground, could be at the starter.
When you get a boost from someone else's car, their ground becomes your ground and you can start.
But you will need a meter, as said above, and you will need to check your grounds all around to the chassis.

matty.dc
02-25-2009, 03:01 AM
i would first check the grounds and test your battery to see if a cell or two are dropped. 1 cell = 2.2volts, so even if one is gone your car will have great difficulty starting or even turning over.

BmW1819
02-25-2009, 09:59 AM
yea i seen that he put a new alternator but i just seen "i disconnected the battery " just because it's new when i disconnect a battery when the car is running the cars see's there is no battery voltage so the alternator goes full tilt and can burn your sator .
anyways that's not his problem. when u are boosting the car where are u boosting it it sounds like i have a draw and it's killing your battery every couple days u have any aftermarket stuff in your car??
if u have a multimeter check your battery voltage and report back :)

richie_s999
02-25-2009, 10:51 AM
I agree with supernaught - could be the starter on its way out, did you have the electrical tested when you b4 you bought new ones, I have seen soooo many people blow money on batteries and altenators, cause they don't take the time to have them tesed, or pay the $20 odd bucks for an AVR test when things like this happen. The AVR test will check how the batter, altenator and starter are working and effecting each other, its worth getting the test.

1crazye30
02-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys for all your help.

BmW1819
02-25-2009, 01:02 PM
let us no when u fix it :)