PDA

View Full Version : RTAB and Rear Hub Bushing Tool

braindamage
02-20-2009, 02:57 PM
I will be replacing all the rear suspension bushings soon. Anyone here have the rear trailing arm and rear hub bushings (#1 and #2) removal/install tool that I can borrow or rent? Want to do it the correct way before going the 'cutting and hammering the bushings out' route.

Thanks!!!

braindamage
02-24-2009, 03:08 PM
no one have access to the tool?

bbojangles
05-31-2009, 09:12 PM
did you ever find this?

magnus
06-01-2009, 12:13 AM
you need a press i believe.
Just take it to any engineering shop and they will take them out and put the new ones in. Wont cost more than a couple of bucks. Takes them 5 minutes each.

328is
06-01-2009, 07:45 AM
I did my RTAB without any press. You just need a zip gun to remove the old one. I had eurethane bushing to reinstall and they were in two pieces so it was easy to put them on.

The first one took me 1.5 hrs and the second one took me 15 min. ! It was the first time ever i did this.

theblue
06-01-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm doing mine soon.

I have an air hammer, and I also picked up a 3 prong gear puller which you can use.

the special tool is not really needed. do some googling and you can find plenty of write ups on how to do this using various unconventional methods.

bbojangles
06-01-2009, 09:58 AM
THanks.. I see how to do it, not that there was ever any question. There are only so many ways to to R&R a press-fit bushing.

Just thought I would find out if there is a tool for loan in the GTA.

This is for my Sis-in-law's 318. the bushing are totally shot... kinda funny that nobody has complained about the handling.

My M3 is a little "squirmy" on hard acceleration, but the bushing look fine.
I might change them later this summer. It would be the first part to wear out on the car, after 12 years and 94k km. A sad day for me :P

braindamage
06-02-2009, 11:59 PM
did you ever find this?

I ended up making my own remove and install tool. It will cost almost nothing as I have almost the parts already. All you need is a 36 mm socket and a few high strength steel tubes, which you can get from metal supermarket. Attach is the install tool.

OneTrack
06-03-2009, 12:12 PM
This tool is available for rent from my store.
http://onetrack.flightpro.ca/products/tools/rear-ball-joint-tool-bmw-e36.html

This tool is designed for bushing No. 1 in your original post only. Not sure if it can work for either of the others.