PDA

View Full Version : Modding a 335i

Blackedout95
02-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Well, my daily driven E36 is getting tired and I am up for something with 4 doors still and a bunch more get up and go. The 335i is very appealing and the prices of the 2007's tempting. I have a question though and would like to hear from those who know...

I see there are a few chips/programs out there to boost power, plug and play applications. Question is not about gains but rather reliability and safety. Its nice to boost power but not nice to find out you destroyed a piston... ( been there done that ). So what internals do these 335i's have and how " safe " of a tune is given? Are the air/fuel ratios pushed to the limit, is the spark sufficent etc etc etc.

The reason I worry is in 2000 I took a Mustang GT and at the end of the day and $50k I had a built motor good for 28 psi and 600 horses, driving a daily low 11 car on radials is fun but the expense was never intended. I start with a $5k blower install and " safe tune " . So once bitten, twice shy.

dtthiaga
02-23-2009, 02:52 PM
I know one person who has chipped their 335i with the Dinan software. So far, no real issues, and loves it.

However, he won't keep the car outside the warranty, and beats on it daily. He is not concerned about reliability, as he will get rid of it in 3 years.

This would be my worry about buying a used 335i now.
Because it's Dinan, warranty at the dealer is not an issue.

m60e30
02-23-2009, 03:03 PM
is his name courtney? ha!

Blackedout95
02-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Why is using Dinan not a warranty issue ? Is it because it is installed bythe dealer or ...

dtthiaga
02-23-2009, 06:12 PM
No, not Courtney.

Certain BMW Dealers are Authorized Dinan Dealer's, and they know the product is good.
Also, Dinan provides the same new car warranty, just in case the manufacture’s warranty doesn't apply (Modifications done). It’s a safe, but expensive solution ($2000).

Take a look at this...

http://www.modbargains.com/product.aspx?pf_id=BMS_JB3_N54_Processor_RS2

(But then, you've got the warranty issue).

The 2009 335i will come out with more power I think. Maybe that's the car to get.

Blackedout95
03-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks dtthiaga, guess Ill sit tight for a bit. The old E36 is still tickin :)

TNation
03-09-2009, 01:21 PM
the lease/finance rates on 335's are just insanely cheap.

Soni
03-22-2009, 11:41 PM
if you want to know more about modding a 335i, e90post.com is your friend!!

Stephanie
03-23-2009, 10:53 PM
i love my 335i cabrio, fun as hell to drive... have had it for nearly two months and put about 3,500 kms on her :)

...definitely an upgrade from my E36 325i cabrio, although i still loved the styling and body lines of her!!

...e90post.com is definitely the site to go for modding advice and/or inspiration. The people on there are pretty helpful too (but just not as amazing as all of you on maX... haha)

...and as for a chip, they 'say' the JB3 (Juice Box 3) is undetectable by a technician, provided you remove it prior to servicing... its a simple plug and play application that runs far less than $1000.00, although it doesn't produce the same HP gains as the Dinan which is definitely covered under warranty... have been doing some research as I'm going to be chipping mine soon as well...

good luck! xx

TNation
03-23-2009, 11:29 PM
^ why are you chipping your car, for more speed, or just to see what gains difference there is from stock?

Stephanie
03-24-2009, 08:16 AM
^ why are you chipping your car, for more speed, or just to see what gains difference there is from stock?

both... but mostly because i want it to go faster, accelerate harder, etc.

EMPOWERD
03-24-2009, 08:43 AM
I've been working on my friend's E92 335i since he bought it new and must say it's quite the car! We installed BMS (Berger Motorsports) JB3 on it (about a 40min install) and have been trying all the updated maps since the product came out 2 years ago. BMS does an amazing job tuning the car. We also intalled a Spearco FMIC, BMS dual cones, dp-back exhaust and get around 400wHP on 98oct. His name is "TomTom" on E90post

I know the motor can handle more... AA is currently testing (slightly larger) twin turbos bolted on the stock motor with larger oil cooling and getting in low 500wHP.

phaust
03-24-2009, 02:01 PM
well you can take my lease and with the 2k$ i give you you got the dinan chip and still have that warranty ;-)

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117873

Stephanie
03-24-2009, 04:18 PM
I know the motor can handle more... AA is currently testing (slightly larger) twin turbos bolted on the stock motor with larger oil cooling and getting in low 500wHP.

*rockout**rockout**rockout*
that's wicked.

ctgazer
03-25-2009, 10:43 AM
that's wicked.

here is the link i beleive to what you are talking about...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191848&highlight=asr+upgraded+turbos

appears it will be tuned by vishnu, so not compatible yet for the jb3

Stephanie
03-25-2009, 02:25 PM
here is the link i beleive to what you are talking about...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191848&highlight=asr+upgraded+turbos

appears it will be tuned by vishnu, so not compatible yet for the jb3

Thanks! ;)

"Custom Garret GT Twin Ballbearing Turbos" -- Yum! I want.

KINKY
05-21-2009, 03:42 PM

JB3 chip, bumps your car stock from 6PSI to 15PSI depending on which mapping you use.

Which can produce up to 460HP..
Someone running JB3 and downpipes + exhuast had 404whp.

I also have a connection, for an upcoming meth kit for the 335i. All CNC'ed, and can give you about 460whp.

Stephanie
05-22-2009, 08:56 AM
JB3 chip, bumps your car stock from 6PSI to 15PSI depending on which mapping you use.

Which can produce up to 460HP..
Someone running JB3 and downpipes + exhuast had 404whp.

I also have a connection, for an upcoming meth kit for the 335i. All CNC'ed, and can give you about 460whp.

this meth kit you're talking about bumps you to 460whp AFTER the chip, right?

ctgazer
05-22-2009, 02:10 PM
this meth kit you're talking about bumps you to 460whp AFTER the chip, right?

im guessing its after you chip, dp, intake, exhaust, and IC plus meth...cause no way a chip + meth is gonna give you <150+whp

dbworld4k
05-22-2009, 06:34 PM
So much power for so little money. Ugh :(

Stephanie
05-24-2009, 07:47 PM
im guessing its after you chip, dp, intake, exhaust, and IC plus meth...cause no way a chip + meth is gonna give you <150+whp

my thoughts exactly... just making sure.

ctgazer
05-25-2009, 07:20 AM
So much power for so little money. Ugh :(

yep..spending $500 (chip), $300 (dp's), $300 (intake), $800 (exhaust), $1000 (FMIC), $400? (meth) ~totals around $3300 for a bump from stock ~280whp to ~450+whp*love*

jb3 will soon have a meth kit too...*th-up*
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265408&highlight=meth+kit

DubSport
05-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Please tell me where I can get $300 Downpipes!

Steve@ASPTuning
05-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Bigger intercooler??

We can get you any AA products!

and turn your 335i into a E93 M3 killer.

Steve
ASPTuning

ctgazer
05-26-2009, 08:09 AM
Please tell me where I can get $300 Downpipes!

here you go guy...currently a GB on e90post..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255192

DubSport
05-26-2009, 10:21 AM
thanks! :)

Alessandro
06-02-2009, 10:35 AM
dont foreget to buy the BT Scanner its a must if you wanna play safe.

Soni
06-02-2009, 10:42 AM
or you can go with Procede Rev2/Canbus which already built in the clear codes function

Stephanie
06-04-2009, 01:24 PM
bought my chip and intakes!! :D:D:D

...next need some DP's and the M-Tech ("Aerodynamics Kit") from lip... yum yum.

JayR_84
06-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I've been working on my friend's E92 335i since he bought it new and must say it's quite the car! We installed BMS (Berger Motorsports) JB3 on it (about a 40min install) and have been trying all the updated maps since the product came out 2 years ago. BMS does an amazing job tuning the car. We also intalled a Spearco FMIC, BMS dual cones, dp-back exhaust and get around 400wHP on 98oct. His name is "TomTom" on E90post

How safe is this? We're considering to replace the 330xi with a 335i soon, it'll mainly be for the wife, but the extra power will be nice when we need to get groceries back home in a hurry. Is the JB3 a piggyback of sorts?

ctgazer
06-04-2009, 02:27 PM
bought my chip and intakes!! :D:D:D

...next need some DP's and the M-Tech ("Aerodynamics Kit") from lip... yum yum.

ohh nice nice...what did you end up getting? i just sold my afe dci...hopefully the bmw performance one will be out soon*th-up*

Soni
06-04-2009, 02:35 PM
How safe is this? We're considering to replace the 330xi with a 335i soon, it'll mainly be for the wife, but the extra power will be nice when we need to get groceries back home in a hurry. Is the JB3 a piggyback of sorts?

JB3 is a piggyback!! After you familiar with it, you can install or uninstall it in 20 mins.

Stephanie
06-04-2009, 03:15 PM
ohh nice nice...what did you end up getting? i just sold my afe dci...hopefully the bmw performance one will be out soon*th-up*

see sig... vvv :D

Stephanie
06-04-2009, 03:16 PM
JB3 is a piggyback!! After you familiar with it, you can install or uninstall it in 20 mins.

burgertuning.com

it's sick.

Soni
06-04-2009, 03:22 PM
burgertuning.com

it's sick.

or contact a local distributor Mike@N54Tuning.com
http://www.n54tuning.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=18

ctgazer
06-05-2009, 07:22 AM
see sig... vvv :D

nice*wiggle*now dump it:D

EMPOWERD
06-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Stef, don't bother with downpipe mods, not worth the installation price, check engine lights and possible leaking gaskets with so little HP increase. You're better off getting a cat-back exhaust (with secondary cat delete). Even a FMIC will net you larger gains than DP's... and you can install it at home (easy 3hr job).

Soni
06-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Stef, don't bother with downpipe mods, not worth the installation price, check engine lights and possible leaking gaskets with so little HP increase. You're better off getting a cat-back exhaust (with secondary cat delete). Even a FMIC will net you larger gains than DP's... and you can install it at home (easy 3hr job).

hmm...Check engine light is fix, just get O2 simms. I think beside the piggyback, downpipe is the second biggest increase hp mods for 335i/135i. One of the e90 member installed an AR downpipe and got 43whp gain...that a huge gain and he has stock exhaust. Here is the link:http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264970
and here is his Dyno chart
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=270874&d=1243076453

Stephanie
06-08-2009, 11:05 AM
nice*wiggle*now dump it:D

After this weekend, that's all I've been thinking about!! I felt like I was the only one there that was stock height!! *mumble*

ctgazer
06-08-2009, 12:12 PM
After this weekend, that's all I've been thinking about!! I felt like I was the only one there that was stock height!! *mumble*

haha....there were many other stock cars there:D nice meeting you
car looks goood and marty's rims were *mw*

Soni
06-08-2009, 12:16 PM
yes...a lot of stock cars and mods cars and SLAMMED cars!!! Wish I could have taken more individual cars pics.

Stephanie
07-08-2009, 09:52 AM
haha....there were many other stock cars there:D nice meeting you
car looks goood and marty's rims were *mw*

...a month late, but thanks hun! :)
It was good to meet you, too!

I seriously got suspension, an aero lip and my jb3 and intakes since the meet.
(now I don't feel so bad... haha!!)

Soni
07-08-2009, 10:19 AM
everyone else having fun modding their car and me on the other is going backward, going back to stock :(

europrince
07-08-2009, 10:23 AM
everyone else having fun modding their car and me on the other is going backward, going back to stock :(

Stock is good too, bro! Money in the bank. You never get your money back from mods. X amount of whp over stock is fun, but putting money against a property purchase or paying down a mortgage...that's fulfilling *th-up*

Stephanie
07-08-2009, 11:16 AM

yea but only because you HAVE to, Soni!

TNation
07-08-2009, 01:46 PM
so i finally drove a 335i coupe, 6 speed
hella nice car. Clutch took a while to get used too, but it was fantastic. Handled extremely well, and even better, it had good torque and excellent braking. Leaned well in corners.

rendered
07-12-2009, 02:41 PM
^^^^^ lol :D

gtaphile
09-16-2009, 04:10 PM
i love my 335i cabrio, fun as hell to drive... have had it for nearly two months and put about 3,500 kms on her :)

...definitely an upgrade from my E36 325i cabrio, although i still loved the styling and body lines of her!!

...e90post.com is definitely the site to go for modding advice and/or inspiration. The people on there are pretty helpful too (but just not as amazing as all of you on maX... haha)

...and as for a chip, they 'say' the JB3 (Juice Box 3) is undetectable by a technician, provided you remove it prior to servicing... its a simple plug and play application that runs far less than $1000.00, although it doesn't produce the same HP gains as the Dinan which is definitely covered under warranty... have been doing some research as I'm going to be chipping mine soon as well...

good luck! xx

Stephanie,

Yours is the first post I have every read and seen on here and if that is the norm than this is some sight!

Cheers
GT

Alessandro
09-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Stephanie,

Yours is the first post I have every read and seen on here and if that is the norm than this is some sight!

Cheers
GT

I have no idea what Stephanie is talking about, Dinan makes more power then a JB 1.3 haha what a joke Dinan makes not close the power just to straighten things out.

Cheers

Stephanie
09-18-2009, 11:45 AM
I have no idea what Stephanie is talking about, Dinan makes more power then a JB 1.3 haha what a joke Dinan makes not close the power just to straighten things out.

Cheers

You're absolutely right.
When I posted that (back in the beginning of the year) I had been misinformed by the dealer about the HP outputs of the Dinan Chip.

Since then I have installed the JB3 v1.3 and LOVE IT. The Dinan is ridiculously conservative and not nearly as fun. I track the car often and have only minimal performance mods and the thing hauls ass!

The JB3 ran me around $600.00 for the PnP (plug and play) and offers 14 different maps dependant on the mods you have and how aggressive a tune you'd like. I run on Map 5.

Sorry I didn't clarify sooner, I totally forgot about this thread.
No need to get your panties in a bunch, though... "what a joke" :rolleyes:

europrince
09-18-2009, 12:16 PM
You're absolutely right.
When I posted that (back in the beginning of the year) I had been misinformed by the dealer about the HP outputs of the Dinan Chip.

Since then I have installed the JB3 v1.3 and LOVE IT. The Dinan is ridiculously conservative and not nearly as fun. I track the car often and have only minimal performance mods and the thing hauls ass!

The JB3 ran me around $600.00 for the PnP (plug and play) and offers 14 different maps dependant on the mods you have and how aggressive a tune you'd like. I run on Map 5.

Stephanie, do you only run Map 5 on the track or day to day? What kind of mileage are you getting with day to day use? What city/highway split do you do? What is your day to day driving style? Much appreciated. Thanks.

Stephanie
09-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Do you only run Map 5 on the track or day to day?

- Map 5 all day everyday, track and street

What kind of mileage are you getting with day to day use?

- 11.6 L/100km

What city/highway split do you do?

- About 50/50

What is your day to day driving style?

- "Spirited" - or in other words, I beat the shit out of it often...

europrince
09-18-2009, 01:19 PM
^ sweet, thanks.

Perhaps a silly question, but do you notice a large difference between Map 5 and stock with everyday use? Map 5 isn't supposed to trip any codes, right? Do you have to remove it when bringing car to the dealership or can you just run Map 0?

ctgazer
09-18-2009, 02:56 PM
- Map 5 all day everyday, track and street

you track your car*no-no*

just kidding..maybe ill see you out there next year..my track season's over cause i need new track tires:D

Stephanie
09-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Perhaps a silly question, but do you notice a large difference between Map 5 and stock with everyday use?

HUGE difference!

Map 5 isn't supposed to trip any codes, right?

It's not "supposed" to, but I'm pretty sure it still does trip something... I'll get back to you once I pick up the scan tool.

Do you have to remove it when bringing car to the dealership or can you just run Map 0?

I would HIGHLY recommend it unless you you know someone at the dealership in service well and don't want to risk voiding warranty...

Stephanie
09-21-2009, 08:50 AM
you track your car*no-no*

I don't know what you are talking about :D

my track season's over cause i need new track tires:D

That's just awesome. *rockout**rockout**rockout*

(I should probably get track tires for next season!! lol... my poor street tires *mumble*)

Alessandro
10-19-2009, 07:43 AM
You're absolutely right.

Now we are on the same page ;), i had a bad day when i was writing the comment. Nice Car Setup, and you should try the 1.4 Rev 8.5BT its really a big difference.

Be safe.

Al.

Blackedout95
05-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Steph, where did you buy the JB, who installed it and what is the agressiveness of Map 5 since gainsrange greatly is it map 5 to keep a/f ratio in check or? You used a dyno before and after I assume?

Stephanie
05-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Steph, where did you buy the JB, who installed it and what is the agressiveness of Map 5 since gainsrange greatly is it map 5 to keep a/f ratio in check or? You used a dyno before and after I assume?

I bought it right from Terry Burger on his site - burgertuning.com,
I installed it; its PnP,
And horsepower gains are pretty drastic... I'm running Map 7 with stock everything except for intakes and an intercooler and dynoed at 365 rwhp and 412 ft lbs of torque... I'm ridiculously happy with the results for such a nominal price!

Blackedout95
05-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Nice, a bit scarey the motor isnt built but for the forged crank, scares me because I went through this on another car with boost.

Apparently these motors are up to $20k to buy new from bmw?